Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas Governor Perry Indicted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Which makes Perry's actions really, really weird form an outside POV - why not take on the agency's existence rather than make it about one official?
    Think about it... this is ALLEGEDLY a "Public Integrity Unit", which is supposed to police misconduct in Texas government... What politician in his right mind (not that Perry is) wants to be known for shutting down the agency that polices him?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm not arguing equivalency - the opposite, actually, Once a precedent is set everybody gets to play.
      Sure, but what precedent was set? He used his constitutional authority to veto the expenditure of funds. It's part of his job, and the legislature has the option of trying to override the veto.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Which makes Perry's actions really, really weird form an outside POV - why not take on the agency's existence rather than make it about one official?
        Because he can't...it's a Travis County agency, not a State Agency, so he did what he could, he defunded it....
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Think about it... this is ALLEGEDLY a "Public Integrity Unit", which is supposed to police misconduct in Texas government... What politician in his right mind (not that Perry is) wants to be known for shutting down the agency that polices him?

The smart ones do what we did in Alabama - set up an Ethics Commission (preferable putting teeth in then and not 25 years later like we did... ). To take out the tiger first clip his claws. Literally, not a good idea; politically, pretty much soup du jour.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            Because he can't...it's a Travis County agency, not a State Agency, so he did what he could, he defunded it....
            No, here's the thing - he used funding as a blackmail weapon to remove an official - he didn't merely defund a rogue agency. The former is an abuse of power and a bad precedent to set; the latter is part of what the danged line item veto exists for.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

And the Democrats of Travis County could have REFUNDED it with County funds! (well, if they had the money, that is)

Comment

No, here's the thing - he used funding as a blackmail weapon to remove an official
                That's the allegation, yes.

- he didn't merely defund a rogue agency.
                Well, yeah, actually he did.

The former is an abuse of power and a bad precedent to set;
                That, of course, is a matter of opinion. If I have the LEGITIMATE power to veto funding, and I announce ahead of time that I will use that power if necessary, how is that power "abused"?

the latter is part of what the danged line item veto exists for.
                And he used the veto, and even some of the Democrat biggies can't see an "abuse".

Comment

Sure, but what precedent was set? He used his constitutional authority to veto the expenditure of funds. It's part of his job, and the legislature has the option of trying to override the veto.
                  No, he used blackmail to target a specific person - this is the part that is an extremely bad precedent to set because if he can do it, so can the next Democrat elected. Targeting the agency is really part of his job - targeting officials that the duly charged body decided (however stupidly) NOT to remove is NOT part of the Governor's job - if it were he'd have a specific remedy rather than making one up as he did.

If the Republicans don't have the political gumption to tackle the agency they really shouldn't be making attacks on individuals - that's just as bad as what the agency is allegedly doing now.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

No, he used blackmail to target a specific person - this is the part that is an extremely bad precedent to set because if he can do it, so can the next Democrat elected.
                    But they won't get indicted, because Travis County is heavily Democratic.

Targeting the agency is really part of his job - targeting officials that the duly charged body decided (however stupidly) NOT to remove is NOT part of the Governor's job - if it were he'd have a specific remedy rather than making one up as he did.
                    I don't think you're understanding - she was an ELECTED official -- the "body" can't just fire her.

If the Republicans don't have the political gumption to tackle the agency they really shouldn't be making attacks on individuals - that's just as bad as what the agency is allegedly doing now.
                    Um.... let's get back to what his alternatives were. I may have missed that part.

Comment

That's the allegation, yes.
                      No, that's what he did - by his own admission. He just phrased it nicer.

Originally posted by CP
                      Well, yeah, actually he did.
                      'merely' - pay attention. Words are important (sometimes...)

Originally posted by CP
                      That, of course, is a matter of opinion. If I have the LEGITIMATE power to provide funding, and I announce ahead of time that I will use that power if necessary, how is that power "abused"?
                      The LIV is intended to prevent waste - not settle political scores. Not even as an end run around a stupid grand jury - actually, ESPECIALLY not as an end run around ANY Grand Jury.

Originally posted by CP

And he used the veto, and even some of the Democrat biggies can't see an "abuse".
                      I wouldn't mistake jealous salivating for support...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

No, he used blackmail to target a specific person - this is the part that is an extremely bad precedent to set because if he can do it, so can the next Democrat elected. Targeting the agency is really part of his job - targeting officials that the duly charged body decided (however stupidly) NOT to remove is NOT part of the Governor's job - if it were he'd have a specific remedy rather than making one up as he did.

So, you don't think it's a good idea to have the person removed by what ever means necessary, who is in charge of the Public integrity agency, and who Pled Guilty to DUI and refused to resign? And her Democrat cronies refused to make her?
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

The LIV is intended to prevent waste...
                          And the "Public Integrity Unit" run out of a Democratic COUNTY in Texas is a colossal waste!

Comment

So, you don't think it's a good idea to have the person removed by what ever means necessary, who is in charge of the Public integrity agency, and who Pled Guilty to DUI and refused to resign? And her Democrat cronies refused to make her?
                            Here's the irony -- she has been found GUILTY of violating the law, and that's apparently OK with the "Public Integrity Unit".
                            Perry has been INDICTED, and hasn't even been "magistrized", let alone tried in court, and the Democrats are calling for his ouster.

Comment

But they won't get indicted, because Travis County is heavily Democratic.

Source: Future News

Governor Bob (D) of Texas vetoed the DOT budget today because the DOT Director is a poopiehead. Film at Ten.

© Copyright Original Source

Anything Perry gets to do, his successor can do, too. Precedent is a legal and political sword - use it wisely because the neck you save will be your own.

I don't think you're understanding - she was an ELECTED official -- the "body" can't just fire her.
                              Impeach her and if you don't have the will/political position to do it, tough. That's the actual remedy.

Originally posted by CP
                              Um.... let's get back to what his alternatives were. I may have missed that part.
                              The remedy is impeachment (elected official). A Grand Jury did not return an indictment - case closed. Perry's legit remedy was to go back to the Legislature and get this idiotic board reworked so gross misconduct and conduct unbecoming are cause for immediate removal with the appeal going to a bi-partisan legislative committee. She's an idiot - by the time that's done, she'll give them new cause for removal or her county will smarten up.

No legit remedy exists whereby the Governor can remove her. Stupid, but that's the reality. Giving the Dems a loaded gun is NOT a good solution to a temporary problem.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Here's the irony -- she has been found GUILTY of violating the law, and that's apparently OK with the "Public Integrity Unit".
                                Perry has been INDICTED, and hasn't even been "magistrized", let alone tried in court, and the Democrats are calling for his ouster.
                                Which is why Perry looks like an idiot here - he specified he wouldn't have vetoed the thing except for her. The fact that they didn't deal with her calls the agency's legitimacy into question - get rid of it, not just her.

Texas...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment