Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Statement by the President on Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statement by the President on Iraq

Source: Statement by the President on Iraq

Q Mr. President, do you have any second thoughts about pulling all ground troops out of Iraq? And does it give you pause as the U.S. -- is it doing the same thing in Afghanistan?

THE PRESIDENT: What I just find interesting is the degree to which this issue keeps on coming up, as if this was my decision. Under the previous administration, we had turned over the country to a sovereign, democratically elected Iraqi government. In order for us to maintain troops in Iraq, we needed the invitation of the Iraqi government and we needed assurances that our personnel would be immune from prosecution if, for example, they were protecting themselves and ended up getting in a firefight with Iraqis, that they wouldn’t be hauled before an Iraqi judicial system.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

So his campaigning to pull troops out of Iraq wasn't really him?
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Originally posted by Jesse View Post

Q Mr. President, do you have any second thoughts about pulling all ground troops out of Iraq? And does it give you pause as the U.S. -- is it doing the same thing in Afghanistan?

THE PRESIDENT: What I just find interesting is the degree to which this issue keeps on coming up, as if this was my decision. Under the previous administration, we had turned over the country to a sovereign, democratically elected Iraqi government. In order for us to maintain troops in Iraq, we needed the invitation of the Iraqi government and we needed assurances that our personnel would be immune from prosecution if, for example, they were protecting themselves and ended up getting in a firefight with Iraqis, that they wouldn’t be hauled before an Iraqi judicial system.

Source

As always, he blames somebody else for anything that doesn't smell like roses. He takes the credit for everything that "worked". Count how many times he used "I ordered" and "I gave" and "I directed" when talking about killing Obama. You'd think he went over there and shot Obama himself.

The problem in Iraq was the failure to negotiate a Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) and that, of course, was blamed on Nouri al-Maliki. Personally, I think Obama just wanted out to appease his liberal cronies, and used that as an excuse.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jesus, come back soon.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Jesus, come back soon.
        Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I am surprised he didn't say Bush told him to pull them out.
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Count how many times he used "I ordered" and "I gave" and "I directed" when talking about killing Obama. You'd think he went over there and shot Obama himself.
            Osama

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
              Osama
              Ooooops. Yeah, my bad!
              Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-10-2014, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Freudian slip?
                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                  Freudian slip?
                  I wonder!

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post

Source

The funny thing is that he took credit for "ending the war" in Iraq when in fact the troops were kicked out by the Iraqi government in spite of the fact Obama wanted troops to stay. So he initially wanted troops to stay, which was obstructed by the Iraqi government, then he takes credit for pulling troops out when they leave -- which was really a plan already drawn up by his predecessor -- and so now he's blaming the Iraqi government for kicking them out in the first place. Oh what a web we weave.

Comment

"As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        I've lost track of how many of these "Then vs. Now" comparisons I've seen of Obama.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          I've lost track of how many of these "Then vs. Now" comparisons I've seen of Obama.
                          Yeah

Comment