Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time For A New Crusade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time For A New Crusade?

Should Christians from around the world pick up arms and bring the fight to the jihadists? Not long after 9/11 I was watching a Middle East scholar on C-Span, if memory serves, it was Dr. Bernard Lewis. And during that talk he said something interesting - That he believed that the only people that could beat the radical Muslims were radical Christians. That the secularists would not have the stomach for the fight. Do you think we could get Pope Francis to strap on a sword?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

No.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Easier to pit them against each other, IMO. Support whichever side is weaker.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Switch sides if the losing side seems to be becoming the winning side. Good thinking, OMP!
        The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Do you think we could get Pope Francis to strap on a sword?
          I think this is about as likely as me becoming the next Pope.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Should Christians from around the world pick up arms and bring the fight to the jihadists? Not long after 9/11 I was watching a Middle East scholar on C-Span, if memory serves, it was Dr. Bernard Lewis. And during that talk he said something interesting - That he believed that the only people that could beat the radical Muslims were radical Christians. That the secularists would not have the stomach for the fight. Do you think we could get Pope Francis to strap on a sword?
            Ha, ha, ha, no.

A single nuke on Tehran, Baghdad or Mecca would put the WE WILL FIGHT YOU IN THE STREETS FOREVER AND EVER attitude of the Muslims a thousand years away, much as crushing the Tiananmen square massacres killed pro-democracy agitation in China. Firing into the crowd is the ultimate sign that you have absolutely no belief in the pretensions of democracy and its worship of Legion over Christ, but you can only do so with a clear conscience once you have publicly repented of any notion that democracy itself is your ultimate god.

Further, the repentance from democracy as god, as such, must be collective and irrevocable among the leaders of the civilized nations, from the American to the People's Republic, for the nuclear option against democracy, and Islam, its ultimate expression in religion, to be politically possible.

Comment

I don't think Christians would win, being they're up against an enemy that has western backing, unless God himself intervened.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                Further, the repentance from democracy as god, as such, must be collective and irrevocable among the leaders of the civilized nations, from the American to the People's Republic, for the nuclear option against democracy, and Islam, its ultimate expression in religion, to be politically possible.
                In other words, democracy can only be destroyed by democracy. Cute.
                Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

The Church (both Catholic and catholic) has became so defanged and withdrawn from the public square that I can't imagine any Pope for the indefinite future calling another Crusade.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Easier to pit them against each other, IMO. Support whichever side is weaker.
                    The Byzantine method. Not a surprise coming from an Eastern Orthodox

I think you are rrrrr... I think that you're riiii... You aren't wrong.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I think this is about as likely as me becoming the next Pope.
                      Pope Pixie. It does have a bit of a ring to it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                        In other words, democracy can only be destroyed by democracy. Cute.
                        The group entitled "leaders of nations" are oligarchs at worst and soverigns at best, so no, not really.

Comment

We should try to arrange it so that each side should choose champions. They sit ten feet apart with their holy books and shout verses at each other and duel with prayers and curses until someone wins – unlimited substitution is allowed. The winning god takes all. No bullets required.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            we should try to arrange it so that each side should choose champions. They sit ten feet apart with their holy books and shout verses at each other and duel with prayers and curses until someone wins – unlimited substitution is allowed. The winning god takes all. No bullets required.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Source: Papal envoy calls for ARMED RESPONSE to defend Christians from Genocide

LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - You know a situation is bad when a pope or his envoy calls for an armed response. Pope Francis, widely appreciated as a practical and realistic man, is not just calling for a cease-fire or negotiations. Instead, he is inviting an armed response to the terrorism of the Islamic State.

Archbishop Giorgio Lingua, the Vatican's nuncio to Iraq, told Vatican Radio, "This is something that had to be done, otherwise [the Islamic State] could not be stopped."

Such a call is virtually unprecedented for a papal envoy in modern times, but our age is an extraordinary one and the Islamic State has no interest in a bargaining table. Instead, the Islamic State is bent on genocide and barbarism, ruthlessly exterminating anyone who opposes them.

On Sunday, Pope Francis said he held "dismay and disbelief" over what is happening in Iraq.

The Catholic He called the Islamic State fighters terrorists and said there was a need for "a professional, well-equipped army."

"The situation is going from bad to worse," he warned.

Meanwhile, Chaldean Patriarch Louis Sako of Baghdad said, "There is a need of international support and a professional, well-equipped army. The situation is going from bad to worse."

Pope Francis and Patriarch Sako are not the only clerics calling for swift and decisive action to end the genocide in Iraq. The Episcopal Vicar of Iraq, Canon Andrew White, managed to visit the town of Qaraqosh under cover and personally assess the situation in that community following Islamic State capture.

His words are chilling. "Today, Qaraqosh stands 90 per cent empty, desecrated by the gunmen of the fanatical Islamic State terror group now in control. The majority of the town's 50,000 people have fled, fearing that, like other Christians in this region, they will be massacred.

"The militants, in a further act of sacrilege, have established their administrative posts in the abandoned churches."

Canon White reported that one woman had her finger hacked off after she could not remove her wedding ring fast enough. A caretaker of one of White's parish churches in the community said his youngest son, aged five, was hacked in half as he watched.

A child, just five years old, hacked in half alive, before his father. The boy happened to be named Andrew, after the vicar himself.

The atrocities are real. The genocide is real. That the press barely reports on them is absolutely baffling. However, even the most religious, peace-loving figures are recognizing that this is not a usual evil. Normally, conflicts arise because of ancient grievances and they can be talked over and hashed out. Warring factions tire of burying their sons and eventually dialogue and other pressures forces peace.

However, the Islamic State has recruited fighters from most of the world's nations and more arrive every day. They are motivated by an aggressive, rabid interpretation of Islamic scriptures. Most notably, they are consumed with bloodlust and willing to commit and publicize every atrocity. This attracts sadistic men from across the Islamic world to their cause who commit even more atrocities.

These men don't have to be told what to do. They murder on their own accord, for pleasure.

Where is the rest of the world? Where are the UN resolutions? Where are the condemnations from the world's Islamic countries? Saudi Arabia? Where's the edict or the fatwa? Why isn't the world combining forces against these terrorists?

This is the purest form of evil the planet has seen in generations. They cannot be reasoned with. As all Christians do have a recognized right to self-defense in the face of an existential threat, the time has come for all Catholics to join with Pope Francis and the Christians of Iraq and Syria in 'Prayer and Action' with the intent of ridding the world of the evil of the Islamic State.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I think that is as good as you are going to get from the Pope, seer.
                              "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment