Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time For A New Crusade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
    I think that is as good as you are going to get from the Pope, seer.
    Hey, it is a start. Now if we could get the Pope just to try the sword on, just to see if he likes it. Perhaps a little armor too.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Hey, it is a start. Now if we could get the Pope just to try the sword on, just to see if he likes it. Perhaps a little armor too.
      Heh. That is something I would pay good money to see.
      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

The Pope doesn't have as much influence as he used to have...not to mention that Obummer and the EU are full of criminal scum-bags that don't care.
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
          The Pope doesn't have as much influence as he used to have...not to mention that Obummer and the EU are full of criminal scum-bags that don't care.
          If we wait long enough, we'll get to fight them here. I see quite a few women on the Metro accessorizing with head scarves these days, and a halal shop just opened up a half mile from my church.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            If we wait long enough, we'll get to fight them here. I see quite a few women on the Metro accessorizing with head scarves these days, and a halal shop just opened up a half mile from my church.
            I am convinced that WW3 has already begun, and Western nations need to wake up.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
              Heh. That is something I would pay good money to see.
              I'm not saying he has to actually fight, just a symbol.

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                True, but he still could marshal a lot of support - believe me this is not going to end, it is only beginning. I sometimes wonder if the false Prophet in Revelation is not Mohammad and by extension the Muslim religion.

Comment

I'm not saying he has to actually fight, just a symbol.
                  I get what you mean there. Though for me personally, seeing the Pope all decked out in amour, leading the charge in his Popemobile would be splendid.
                  "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

In the hypothetical situation where the Pope DID call a Crusade and Catholics responded en masse, it would freak out and make afraid governments everywhere. Suddenly the Church would be a thing worthy of respect.

PS: In old timey times, was is exclusively trained an anointed knights that responded to the Crusade? In today's world, I wouldn't be very excited about rednecks and plumbers taking up arms, and trained soldiers would probably all get jailed for mutiny before they could go anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                      In the hypothetical situation where the Pope DID call a Crusade and Catholics responded en masse, it would freak out and make afraid governments everywhere. Suddenly the Church would be a thing worthy of respect.

PS: In old timey times, was is exclusively trained an anointed knights that responded to the Crusade? In today's world, I wouldn't be very excited about rednecks and plumbers taking up arms, and trained soldiers would probably all get jailed for mutiny before they could go anywhere.
                      I think they are coming along:

http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire...2-85d9990bf96e

Fearing a genocide of Christians, the Vatican has given its approval to US military air strikes in Iraq -- a rare exception to its policy of peaceful conflict resolution.

The Holy See's ambassador to the United Nations, Silvano Tomasi, this weekend supported US air strikes aimed at halting the advance of Sunni Islamic State (IS) militants, calling for "intervention now, before it is too late".

"Military action might be necessary," he said.

Comment

Should Christians from around the world pick up arms and bring the fight to the jihadists? Not long after 9/11 I was watching a Middle East scholar on C-Span, if memory serves, it was Dr. Bernard Lewis. And during that talk he said something interesting - That he believed that the only people that could beat the radical Muslims were radical Christians. That the secularists would not have the stomach for the fight. Do you think we could get Pope Francis to strap on a sword?
                        Radical Christians can't even summon an offensive against abortion, so I doubt they'll be any more effective at jihad.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                          Radical Christians can't even summon an offensive against abortion, so I doubt they'll be any more effective at jihad.
                          Really? I have known a number of very devout Christian combat Marines. One a Scout Sniper with 11 confirmed kills in Iraq. Christians do not seek to break the laws of the land, so there is only so much we can legally do about abortion. Put us in the Military - that is a different story. We certainly can not depend on liberal pansy secularists.

Comment

A comparison of Popes is apropope:

Originally posted by Pope Urban II
                            Oh, race of Franks, race from across the mountains, race chosen and beloved by God as shines forth in very many of your works set apart from all nations by the situation of your country, as well as by your catholic faith and the honor of the holy church! To you our discourse is addressed and for you our exhortation is intended. We wish you to know what a grievous cause has led us to Your country, what peril threatening you and all the faithful has brought us.

From the confines of Jerusalem and the city of Constantinople a horrible tale has gone forth and very frequently has been brought to our ears, namely, that a race from the kingdom of the Persians, an accursed race, a race utterly alienated from God, a generation forsooth which has not directed its heart and has not entrusted its spirit to God, has invaded the lands of those Christians and has depopulated them by the sword, pillage and fire; it has led away a part of the captives into its own country, and a part it has destroyed by cruel tortures; it has either entirely destroyed the churches of God or appropriated them for the rites of its own religion. They destroy the altars, after having defiled them with their uncleanness. They circumcise the Christians, and the blood of the circumcision they either spread upon the altars or pour into the vases of the baptismal font. When they wish to torture people by a base death, they perforate their navels, and dragging forth the extremity of the intestines, bind it to a stake; then with flogging they lead the victim around until the viscera having gushed forth the victim falls prostrate upon the ground. Others they bind to a post and pierce with arrows. Others they compel to extend their necks and then, attacking them with naked swords, attempt to cut through the neck with a single blow. What shall I say of the abominable rape of the women? To speak of it is worse than to be silent. The kingdom of the Greeks is now dismembered by them and deprived of territory so vast in extent that it can not be traversed in a march of two months. On whom therefore is the labor of avenging these wrongs and of recovering this territory incumbent, if not upon you? You, upon whom above other nations God has conferred remarkable glory in arms, great courage, bodily activity, and strength to humble the hairy scalp of those who resist you.

Let the deeds of your ancestors move you and incite your minds to manly achievements; the glory and greatness of king Charles the Great, and of his son Louis, and of your other kings, who have destroyed the kingdoms of the pagans, and have extended in these lands the territory of the holy church. Let the holy sepulchre of the Lord our Saviour, which is possessed by unclean nations, especially incite you, and the holy places which are now treated with ignominy and irreverently polluted with their filthiness. Oh, most valiant soldiers and descendants of invincible ancestors, be not degenerate, but recall the valor of your progenitors.
                            Originally posted by Pope Francis the Double-Minded
                            Never war, never war,” he said. “I am thinking, above all, of children who are deprived of the hope of a worthwhile life, a future. Dead children, wounded children, mutilated children, orphaned children, children whose toys are things left over from war, children who don’t know how to smile.” This was the moment when the tears came. “Please stop,” said Francis. “I ask you with all my heart, it’s time to stop. Stop, please!
                            Tell me which one you like more.

Comment

Really? I have known a number of very devout Christian combat Marines. One a Scout Sniper with 11 confirmed kills in Iraq. Christians do not seek to break the laws of the land, so there is only so much we can legally do about abortion. Put us in the Military - that is a different story. We certainly can not depend on liberal pansy secularists.
                              There is no correlation between marksmanship and religion. Many non-christian marksman have just as much hatred for Islamic extremism, so your proposal makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                                There is no correlation between marksmanship and religion. Many non-christian marksman have just as much hatred for Islamic extremism, so your proposal makes no sense.
                                True enough, but there's a whole 'culture fit' thing when you have men fighting together that requires much more rigorous vetting of the atheists, whose instinct for self-preservation and self-promotion above all else may cause rifts in the group during extreme situations. If you could do that thing where you collect a group of like-minded atheists and form the Godless Group, aiming to prove you can function as a unit without any overriding morality, that would be great.

Comment