Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

*Sputter* WHAT???? James Brady's Death a HOMICIDE???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Sputter* WHAT???? James Brady's Death a HOMICIDE???

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...270522411.html I don't agree with this...it's not like he didn't overcome and become an gun control advocate for DECADES.... no sirree....

Unlike the unfortunate mother of three children she lost to a carjacker dying of injuries herself without coming out of the coma... http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/na...270457391.html
    Last edited by DesertBerean; 08-08-2014, 05:15 PM.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Pretty sure charging him again would be unconstitutional.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Some poor ME is trying to get approval from his liberal homies.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

1) The charge of murder stems from the cause of death so yes, even 30 years later if the gunshot is the ultimate cause of death, the charge is perfectly well founded. These are rare but they do occur. A lot of AIDS cases were of this type (where the infection was deliberate).

2) No, it would not be unconstitutional. Hinkley was never charged with murder. Double jeopardy doesn't come into play unless the charges are substantively the same (murder one and murder two, for example) and stem from the same incident. Attempted murder and murder are not substantively the same so no double jeopardy.

3) No, he really isn't. He's doing his job and it just happens that the CoD stems from something 30 years ago. If someone dies of liver failure resultant from syphilis the death likely trails the infection by 30 years or more - syphilis is still the CoD, however.

Besides, Brady isn't exactly a liberal wunderkind. Supporting gun control of some degree doesn't mean someone is a liberal, let alone a liberal darling.

I'd be surprised if they bother charging Hinkley. He's unlikely to ever be fully free again and is not likely to be a threat. The possibility of charges may work against him, but honestly, charges serve no purpose now in this particular case. The DA has better things to spend money on.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

They still are adding names to the Vietnam War Memorial of those who have just died if their wounds played any role in their passing.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            1) The charge of murder stems from the cause of death so yes, even 30 years later if the gunshot is the ultimate cause of death, the charge is perfectly well founded. These are rare but they do occur. A lot of AIDS cases were of this type (where the infection was deliberate).

2) No, it would not be unconstitutional. Hinkley was never charged with murder. Double jeopardy doesn't come into play unless the charges are substantively the same (murder one and murder two, for example) and stem from the same incident. Attempted murder and murder are not substantively the same so no double jeopardy.

3) No, he really isn't. He's doing his job and it just happens that the CoD stems from something 30 years ago. If someone dies of liver failure resultant from syphilis the death likely trails the infection by 30 years or more - syphilis is still the CoD, however.

Besides, Brady isn't exactly a liberal wunderkind. Supporting gun control of some degree doesn't mean someone is a liberal, let alone a liberal darling.

I'd be surprised if they bother charging Hinkley. He's unlikely to ever be fully free again and is not likely to be a threat. The possibility of charges may work against him, but honestly, charges serve no purpose now in this particular case. The DA has better things to spend money on.
            IIRC Hinkley was adjudged not guilty by reason of insanity. I don't think a murder charge would change that.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              IIRC Hinkley was adjudged not guilty by reason of insanity. I don't think a murder charge would change that.
              It wouldn't - but it's a different charge from what he was charged with at trial so double jeopardy doesn't come into play. He could in fact be tried on the new charges - but given the original verdict, the likelihood of repeat offense and the chances of him ever being at complete liberty, a DA would be hard pressed to justify the new trial.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up Teal.
                We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

It wouldn't - but it's a different charge from what he was charged with at trial so double jeopardy doesn't come into play. He could in fact be tried on the new charges - but given the original verdict, the likelihood of repeat offense and the chances of him ever being at complete liberty, a DA would be hard pressed to justify the new trial.
                  Sure it's a different charge - but given the original verdict, a new charge is highly unlikely to change anything. The guy is still nuts, and fixated on guns, but his family has been pushing for more freedom for him.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Sure it's a different charge - but given the original verdict, a new charge is highly unlikely to change anything. The guy is still nuts, and fixated on guns, but his family has been pushing for more freedom for him.
                    Ah, I get you now. Yeah, about the only purpose would be to counter the family's push for greater freedom - I'm dubious it would actually be necessary for just that.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
                      Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up Teal.

You're welcome.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Hmmm....Ok.... (grumble)....does kinda makes sense...

Comment

It'll be okay...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Hmfh...*snort*.....

Comment

Seems a pretty big stretch to me in any case, and granting prosecutors this type of leeway on these cases (where zillions of cofactors have to be considered in the intervening period) is wrongheaded. There are legal categories for 'alive but having to spend mucho dinero on treatments due to the complications of inflicted injury' without having to claim that all deaths from such are MURDER. There's way too much legal mischief possible in a judgment of "died from complications of his previous murder."

And adding people to the Vietnam wall for the same reason is asinine, as well, just to be thorough.

Comment