Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Secular Nazis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secular Nazis...

I'm sorry they just are!

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local...7a43b2370.html

Mary’s Gourmet Diner has announced it will no longer offer occasional discounts to people who pray before eating, citing the threat of legal action. The restaurant’s prayer discount had gone viral in recent days, making national news shows and sparking heated arguments on the Internet.

On Wednesday, the restaurant posted a handwritten notice in its front window stating that it must “protect your freedom from religion in a public place.” “It is illegal and we are being threatened by lawsuit,” the note goes on to say, offering apology for “any offense this discount has incurred.”

The discount made national news after some customers – Dan Bremnes, a Christian recording artist, and Jordan Smith, a promoter at Capital Music Group – posted their receipt on their Facebook pages after they passed through Winston-Salem and got a 15 percent discount at Mary’s for “Praying in Public.”

The lawyer for a group called the Freedom From Religion Foundation then sent Haglund a letter branding the discount illegal under federal civil rights laws.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    I'm sorry they just are!
    Monetising prayer in restaurants was never a good idea.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Can we stop denigrating Nazis by comparing them to secularists please?
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

I'm sorry they just are!
        Absolutely, seer.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Monetising prayer in restaurants was never a good idea.
          Nonsense, it is not even about the prayer it is about these secular Nazis threatening to sue at every turn, and for something so innocent.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Nonsense, it is not even about the prayer it is about these secular Nazis threatening to sue at every turn, and for something so innocent.
            It’s a disgusting bribe and is correctly treated with utter contempt.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

It’s a disgusting bribe and is correctly treated with utter contempt.
              Disgusting things should be banned? That's an interesting perspective. Let's talk about gays...
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

How can a discount that isn't openly promoted and isn't always granted be a 'bribe'?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  How can a discount that isn't openly promoted and isn't always granted be a 'bribe'?
                  She had been doing it for four years apparently. Customers would know about it whether it was advertised or not. While she may be delighted to have praying customers, the ethics of monetising prayer should be considered as well as the legality of discriminating against non praying customers. Not only that, but God might take a very dim view of people accepting money for His praise. He might well think it was not sincerely offered and so the practice may be putting souls at risk. I don’t know what the Bible says about it but it looks to me to be hazardous at best.

Comment

Since businesses are free to offer discounts on most any basis, the complaint is frivolous. It might have merit had the business publicized the matter but they didn't - and even then, its merit is spurious. Just as an idiot mall can ban prayer, a restaurant can encourage it. Freedom is a two edged sword.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      Disgusting things should be banned? That's an interesting perspective. Let's talk about gays...
                      Did I say banned? The woman concerned has admitted that the practice was illegal. She has decided of her own free will to stop breaking the law.
                      I don’t know enough about gays to have that chat – wrong forum I expect.

Comment

Did I say banned? The woman concerned has admitted that the practice was illegal. She has decided of her own free will to stop breaking the law.
                        I don’t know enough about gays to have that chat – wrong forum I expect.
                        If it's illegal it's banned, tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Since businesses are free to offer discounts on most any basis, the complaint is frivolous. It might have merit had the business publicized the matter but they didn't - and even then, its merit is spurious. Just as an idiot mall can ban prayer, a restaurant can encourage it. Freedom is a two edged sword.
                          Just not with money.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            If it's illegal it's banned, tard.
                            Oh yeah? So, what’s the law on “disgusting things” then?

Comment

Oh yeah? So, what’s the law on “disgusting things” then?
                              You were the one approving of this ban on the grounds that it's disgusting, so you tell me.

Comment