Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Secular Nazis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wot? Asking God for assistance in times of trouble is wrong?
    It is basic - "give us this day our daily bread".
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      Possibly – see Book of Job. Greed is sinful – the original ethics of love your neighbour required that you gave the excess of anything you possess to your neighbour. Righteousness was associated with poverty, chastity and vegetarianism.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Obviously. The fact that Job was reasonably wealthy while he was doing all that, and that after his tempering, that he became rich only underscores how thoroughly unrighteous he was.
        Tis love of money, not the possession thereof, that is the root of all evil.

(I like your tag line by the way)
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          Not wrong, just ineffectual – and not a little tacky in this instance.

Properly controlled studies have shown that prayer makes no difference. “The world's largest study into the effects of prayer on patients undergoing heart surgery has found it appears to make no difference”.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3193902.stm

And:

"...As delivered in this study, intercessory prayer had no significant effect on medical outcomes after hospitalization in a coronary care unit”.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

And:

The few studies with positive results, e.g. one conducted by Randolph C. Byrd, were shown to have flawed methodology.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/g...er/godccu.html
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Did I say banned? The woman concerned has admitted that the practice was illegal. She has decided of her own free will to stop breaking the law.
            I don’t know enough about gays to have that chat – wrong forum I expect.
            The point is why would it be illegal? Who made such fascist laws?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              Not wrong, just ineffectual – and not a little tacky in this instance.

Properly controlled studies have shown that prayer makes no difference. “The world's largest study into the effects of prayer on patients undergoing heart surgery has found it appears to make no difference”.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3193902.stm

And:

"...As delivered in this study, intercessory prayer had no significant effect on medical outcomes after hospitalization in a coronary care unit”.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

And:

The few studies with positive results, e.g. one conducted by Randolph C. Byrd, were shown to have flawed methodology.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/g...er/godccu.html
              How is this relevant to the situation? If they told you to dress up in a chicken suit for a discount, would you?

Btw, here's a nice video on prayer.

And another one (see below)

-The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
              Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
              Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                The point is why would it be illegal? Who made such fascist laws?
                I would imagine the legal argument would be about discrimination on religious grounds. I don’t know which laws would apply.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

I would imagine the legal argument would be about discrimination on religious grounds. I don’t know which laws would apply.
                  But it is not. First, you did not have to pray. Second, no one was denied service. Third, if you don't like it go to a different restaurant! This is why discrimination laws are becoming fascist in nature.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

But it is not. First, you did not have to pray. Second, no one was denied service. Third, if you don't like it go to a different restaurant! This is why discrimination laws are becoming fascist in nature.
                    No, it is about equality. Anyone should be able to go to any restaurant and be treated exactly the same way regardless of religious affiliation. In Nazi Germany the Jews had to wear a yellow badge (badge of shame) so that people knew to treat them differently. In this case, prayer is used to pick out the preferred group. Christianity is fascist in character – obedience to supreme power – punishment for traitors, dissenters, apostates (Hell).

Comment

Mother insisted that I pass on this note.

Dear Mr. Poke,
                      Although it came as something of a shock at first, your extraordinary question brought back to me wonderful memories of firstfloor’s infancy. It would be impolite of me to answer more directly but I do not mind telling you that firstfloor was brought up a very healthy and contented child.
                      With kindest regards,
                      S (firstfloor’s mum)
                      Hmmmm... so we can't blame her, eh?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, it is about equality. Anyone should be able to go to any restaurant and be treated exactly the same way regardless of religious affiliation. In Nazi Germany the Jews had to wear a yellow badge (badge of shame) so that people knew to treat them differently. In this case, prayer is used to pick out the preferred group. Christianity is fascist in character – obedience to supreme power – punishment for traitors, dissenters, apostates (Hell).
                        Nonsense, most stores have specials if you meet certain conditions. A restaurant may have a kids night where the family gets a discount if they bring their children - should the people without kids threaten to sue? I shop at stores where if you spend over a certain amount you get a discount. This is nothing but anti-religious bias, growing fascism where everyone must act the same in the name of your fictional "equality."

Comment

So if encouraging prayer by giving a discount is "illegal" because it somehow violates civil liberties (which actually protect freedom of religion) - then by that same token the mall that banned praying is illegal too. They are basically telling customers who pray that they are not welcome in their shops and that is discrimination.

Comment

No, it is about equality. Anyone should be able to go to any restaurant and be treated exactly the same way regardless of religious affiliation.
                            The same argument could be extended to cover all scenarios. No free cup of coffee for regular customers. No discounts for - say - pensioners, or women's group Tuesdays etc.
                            Or is it only religious affiliation that should be excluded from the list of particular groups that from time to time might be given a special status?
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Nonsense, most stores have specials if you meet certain conditions. A restaurant may have a kids night where the family gets a discount if they bring their children - should the people without kids threaten to sue? I shop at stores where if you spend over a certain amount you get a discount. This is nothing but anti-religious bias, growing fascism where everyone must act the same in the name of your fictional "equality."
                              Stores often give discounts to people who apply for, or use, their store credit card. I have, on occasion, asked the store clerk, "Am I not as valuable a customer simply because I pay cash?", and frequently I will get the discount also. But I recognize the store has a right to make such offers, and a right NOT to extend those offers to me if they so choose.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Hmmmm... so we can't blame her, eh?
                                Aww how cute. he got his mommy to write a note for him.

Comment