Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Women ordered to stop praying inside mall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hrmph. Send in some yoga practioners and see what happens.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I would love to go in and sit down and pray, then challenge them as to how they know I'm praying or just resting.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I would love to go in and sit down and pray, then challenge them as to how they know I'm praying or just resting.
        or just schizophrenic and talking to yourself!

Comment

We ought to send Rogue and Bill the Cat down there. They live not too far away. They could dress in burkas.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Hire a PR person before you go out of business, sheesh!
            On the other hand, public prayer meetings are a demonstration of exclusivity. I think the owner is entitled to ban religious ceremonies on his property if he wants. That does not prevent prayer by any individual at any time and place.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              On the other hand, public prayer meetings are a demonstration of exclusivity.
              That's just dumb. I mean, birdbrained goofy dumb! DUMBER than dumb.

I think the owner is entitled to ban religious ceremonies on his property if he wants.
              Yeah, cause God only knows it might turn into a RIOT or something!

That does not prevent prayer by any individual at any time and place.
              How do you know?

In OTHER news.....

Restaurant offers 15 percent discount to diners who pray publicly before their meal
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

On the other hand, public prayer meetings are a demonstration of exclusivity. I think the owner is entitled to ban religious ceremonies on his property if he wants. That does not prevent prayer by any individual at any time and place.
                ah exclusivity. Like people don't go to malls in groups or something because that would be bad. So they should ban teenagers from hanging out at the mall, or families that shop together, right? Because groups that gather in the mall are bad for business. Glad you straightened us out on that. We should make sure that only single individuals go to the mall and shop, because that way they will sell more merchandise, right?

What about all of the shops in that mall that might be friendly towards theists? Like a Christian bookstore, or a shop that is owned by a Jew or a Christian or a Hindu? They are paying rent to the mall. What gives the mall the right to decide what types of people or what behaviors they express are allowed? Sure they own the space, but without the shops they would be shut down in no time.

Comment

In OTHER news.....

Restaurant offers 15 percent discount to diners who pray publicly before their meal
                  How dare they? I am sure they will be shut down because they are being unfair to atheists.

Comment

Of course - the question does arise ... how did the security guard surmise from some distance away that the women concerned INTENDED to pray.

Maybe just my suspicious nature, but I'm not buying the story as it stands ....

and

I admit to my shame that I consider First Floor to be right (with regard to group prayer in the middle of a Mall)

I think perhaps that I would object to an impromptu Muslim prayer meeting being held in my mall - and perhaps even a Shinto prayer meeting (which sort of doesn't happen anyway, but ...).
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Wow! I’m not sure Jesus would approve though because going through the motions for financial gain is nothing new. This just shows that it’s all about social conformity; you have to prove to us, publicly, that you are one of us, and we are happy to bribe you to obtain the appearance of loyalty in order to intimidate the others.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                        I admit to my shame that I consider First Floor to be right (with regard to group prayer in the middle of a Mall)
                        Perhaps it would be better if instead of you agreeing with me, I was to agree with you on this occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          That's actually a good point -- if it was done as a theatrical thing to draw attention, it might be more akin to the Pharisee in the tower. But if they just stopped along the way and had prayer, that's different.

Comment

Wow! I’m not sure Jesus would approve though because going through the motions for financial gain is nothing new.
                            Wow! You ASSUME they're "going through the motions"?

This just shows that it’s all about social conformity; you have to prove to us, publicly, that you are one of us, and we are happy to bribe you to obtain the appearance of loyalty in order to intimidate the others.
                            You are SO easy.

Comment

Perhaps it would be better if instead of you agreeing with me, I was to agree with you on this occasion.
                              OK, STOP the display of exclusivity this instant, or I'll call the Mall Cop!

Comment

What if a bunch of atheists went to the mall, stood in a circle and DIDN'T pray!?

Comment