Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Still No Global Warming For 17 Years 10 Months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

look at ocean heating and the Arctic.
    http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ic-ocean-study
    http://www.theguardian.com/environme...se-mirage-ipcc
    "Only 1% of the heat trapped by greenhouse gases warms the air, making the pause claimed by IPCC critics an idiotic sideshow."
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

According to Dr. Rajendra Pachauri, Chairman of the IPCC

IPCC Railroad engineer [and chairman of the IPCC] Dr. Rajendra Pachauri acknowledges ‘No warming for 17 years'.
      Last edited by John Reece; 08-02-2014, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        look at ocean heating and the Arctic.
        http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ic-ocean-study
        http://www.theguardian.com/environme...se-mirage-ipcc
        "Only 1% of the heat trapped by greenhouse gases warms the air, making the pause claimed by IPCC critics an idiotic sideshow."
        That's comparing apples to oranges.

It has not been on the basis of ocean temperature that the world has been sold a bill of goods about a threat of catastrophic global warming; rather, it has been on the basis of surface temperature.

See post above re the IPCC chairman's acknowledgement, while being interviewed in Australia, of the same "pause" reported by many climate scientists.

By the way, it is not a "pause claimed by IPCC critics"; rather, it is a pause reported by the Chairman of the IPCC; see here.
        Last edited by John Reece; 08-02-2014, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
          That's comparing apples to oranges.
          Not at all; the science has always been about radiative heating caused by increased levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere; it heats everything but not everything heats equally. Exactly where the heat goes and how it circulates and what the effects of heating are is difficult to access but the trend is for better and better climate models. Probably the most disruptive effect of global warming will be from rising sea levels and most of that in the future will be caused by thermal expansion. The oceans have a much higher heat capacity than the atmosphere. Of course, if the oceans are warm so will the air above them be but they do take a long time to heat up.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Not at all; the science has always been about radiative heating caused by increased levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere; it heats everything but not everything heats equally. Exactly where the heat goes and how it circulates and what the effects of heating are is difficult to access but the trend is for better and better climate models. Probably the most disruptive effect of global warming will be from rising sea levels and most of that in the future will be caused by thermal expansion. The oceans have a much higher heat capacity than the atmosphere. Of course, if the oceans are warm so will the air above them be but they do take a long time to heat up.
            Your first response contained a quote dismissing the 17 year pause as something claimed by opponents of the IPCC, when in fact the Chairman of the IPCC himself confirmed the fact of the 17 year pause.

That is the point of this thread.

Rationalizations about ocean temperatures, etc. does not change the fact of the 17 year pause in surface temperature ― reported by the Chairman of the IPCC after the fact, but not predicted by any IPCC computer modeling.

'[T]he the trend is for better and better climate models', none of which has ever accurately predicted future global surface temperature.
            Last edited by John Reece; 08-02-2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Your first response contained a quote dismissing the 17 year pause as something claimed by opponents of the IPCC, when in fact the Chairman of the IPCC himself confirmed the fact of the 17 year pause.
              That is the point of this thread.
              Rationalizations about ocean temperatures, etc. does not change the fact of the 17 year pause in surface temperature ― reported by the Chairman of the IPCC after the fact, but not predicted by any IPCC computer modeling.
              '[T]he the trend is for better and better climate models', none of which has ever accurately predicted future global surface temperature.
              Try this:
              http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2...t-in-the-news/
              BTW, I hope you are enjoying learning this stuff as much as I am.
              Last edited by firstfloor; 08-02-2014, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Try this:
                http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2...t-in-the-news/
                BTW, I hope you are enjoying learning this stuff as much as I am.
                Yes, I am enjoying this stuff.

Word games: not predictions but projections.

Like 'the dog ate the homework', the oceans ate the global warming ― by the way, that was not 'projected', was it?
                Last edited by John Reece; 08-02-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Yes, I am enjoying this stuff.
                  But learning new stuff can be pretty difficult when you are opposed in principal.

From the Texas GOP platform 2012
                  Knowledge Based Education
                  We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Word games: not predictions but projections.
                  Like 'the dog ate the homework', the oceans ate the global warming ― by the way, that was not 'projected', was it?
                  Okay.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor
                    But learning new stuff can be pretty difficult when you are opposed in principal.

We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.
                    I had to go through a Values Clarification training session while I was doing required inservice training as a counselor in a mental health center many years ago. By the time the course was over I was quite depressed. No young student should have to go through such a depressing exercise. It is not the rightful business of public schools to be doing such things.

My youngest daughter had to go through the same thing as a high school student. Her mother in real life had wound up in a mental institution for the rest of her life ― I got her mother out of the institution against medical advice just so that daughter would not have to go through life with the stigma of having been born in a mental hospital. Imagine the effect on my daughter when (as part of a Values Clarification course to which she was subjected in high school) she had to vote along with her classmates re who of a hypothetical group of people in a lifeboat should be thrown overboard to lighten the boat so others might survive, and the whole class except for my daughter voted to throw overboard a mental patient = one of the hypothetical group in the hypothetical lifeboat. You cannot imagine what people who have a wife or mother diagnosed with chronic paranoid schizophrenia go through, so you cannot imagine the effect of that exercise on my daughter.

All the things included in your post ― however deceptively termed to sound wholesome and desirable ― are in reality designed to destroy relationships between students and their parents and their Christian upbringing. The results? Children and teenagers disillusioned, drug-adicted, pregnant out of wedlock, in legal trouble, etc., etc.

While I was a counselor in the mental health center, my wife and I attended a workshop that was presented in an auditorium at NC State University. The workshop was led by a woman who was serving or had served on the NC state board for curriculum development. She spent a whole day presenting reams of documentation of what was being taught in NC public schools ― much along the lines alluded to in your quote above. All day long I found myself thinking "That's why I am seeing what I am seeing in troubled children and teens at the mental health center."

The presenter at the workshop at NC State of course presented much more than my wife and I saw first hand while my younger daughter was going through high school; however, what we did see was quite of the same character. My daughter, in some classes, was taught from loose leaf sheets of paper rather than books, and was instructed not to share the sheets of paper with parents. But the daughter did bring the papers home and shared them with us.

I'm quite tired and must stop here. Hopefully, enough said already.

Comment

Okay.
                      The Texas GOP seems to have its priorities straight, at least. Uncharacteristic, but intriguing, for Republicans.

Comment

No worries, the Ants will save us!

NEW YORK: Ants may be cooling the Earth by helping trap carbon dioxide from the environment, a new study has claimed.

A long-term experiment tracking the ants' effects on soil suggests they cooled Earth's climate as their numbers grew.

"Ants are changing the environment," said lead study author Ronald Dorn, from the Arizona State University in Tempe.

Certain ant species "weather" minerals in order to secrete calcium carbonate — better known as limestone. The process traps and removes a tiny bit of carbon dioxide gas from the atmosphere, Dorn said.
                        http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/39547238.cms
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

How in the world can critical thinking lead to drug addiction or teen pregnancy?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                            How in the world can critical thinking lead to drug addiction or teen pregnancy?
                            I am speaking with no knowledge of the described Higher Order Thinking Skills specifically discussed here. In general, however, teaching which purports to teach superior judgement abilities is extremely likely to be biased toward liberalism. Supporting the status quo is usually seen as failure to think critically. Doubt is taught as superior rather than actual critical thinking.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
                              It certainly does not; it was not "critical thinking" that was being taught: that term was part of the deceptive mis-terming of what was being presented.
                              Last edited by John Reece; 08-04-2014, 04:21 PM.

Comment