Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Five Israeli talking points, debunked".... Interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Five Israeli talking points, debunked".... Interesting

I found this interesting. I had been under the impression most of these talking points were accurate. Thoughts?

http://www.alternet.org/world/five-i...age=1#bookmark
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Twisted "debunking." Very twisted.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Twisted "debunking." Very twisted.
      What is specifically wrong with the reasoning?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahiya_doctrine

If the article is right that this "Dahiya doctrine" has actually been implemented, then we have a very serious problem. Even the suggestion is morally problematic.
        Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I found this interesting. I had been under the impression most of these talking points were accurate. Thoughts?

You gotta love number three. Oh, so if Israel stops fighting back then the Palestinian rocket attacks drift down to the single-digits. See, if you stop your counterattack, they'll still fire rockets at you, they'll just do it less often. Brilliant.
          Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Israel is fighting enemies that have vowed her destruction. I mean, how do you "negotiate" with somebody who wants 100% of your people dead? Do you agree to let them kill 50%? 75%? 80%?

This part, for example, is just "bird brained":
            Source: the article

As the occupying power of the Gaza Strip, and the Palestinian Territories more broadly, Israel has an obligation and a duty to protect the civilians under its occupation.

© Copyright Original Source

OK, WHY is Israel "occupying" Gaza? Because it would be incredibly easy for her enemies to get missiles and armament from the Med, and fire them into Israel -- even Tel-Aviv airport. OH WAIT! That's what they ARE doing! So Israel isn't there to "protect" the "occupied" -- they are there to try to protect their own existence.

Source: cont'd

It governs by military and law enforcement authority to maintain order, protect itself and protect the civilian population under its occupation.

The civilian population that ELECTED terrorists to represent them?

It cannot simultaneously occupy the territory, thus usurping the self-governing powers that would otherwise belong to Palestinians, and declare war upon them. These contradictory policies (occupying a land and then declaring war on it) make the Palestinian population doubly vulnerable.

I'm guessing this article was ghost-written by Achmed Terrorburger.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think the current occupants of Gaza would win the media war hands down if they simply declared "We no longer seek the death of Israel, and recognize her right to exist".

I guess I'll add that to my "Impossible Headlines" thread.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Israel is fighting enemies that have vowed her destruction. I mean, how do you "negotiate" with somebody who wants 100% of your people dead? Do you agree to let them kill 50%? 75%? 80%?

This part, for example, is just "bird brained":
                Source: the article

As the occupying power of the Gaza Strip, and the Palestinian Territories more broadly, Israel has an obligation and a duty to protect the civilians under its occupation.

OK, WHY is Israel "occupying" Gaza? Because it would be incredibly easy for her enemies to get missiles and armament from the Med, and fire them into Israel -- even Tel-Aviv airport. OH WAIT! That's what they ARE doing! So Israel isn't there to "protect" the "occupied" -- they are there to try to protect their own existence.

It governs by military and law enforcement authority to maintain order, protect itself and protect the civilian population under its occupation.

The civilian population that ELECTED terrorists to represent them?

It cannot simultaneously occupy the territory, thus usurping the self-governing powers that would otherwise belong to Palestinians, and declare war upon them. These contradictory policies (occupying a land and then declaring war on it) make the Palestinian population doubly vulnerable.

I'm guessing this article was ghost-written by Achmed Terrorburger.

Israel has enough firepower to wipe out every living thing in the Gaza Strip. If Israel was really as evil as this article insinuates, the Gaza Strip would be nothing but a smoldering crater now.
                Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post

Israel has enough firepower to wipe out every living thing in the Gaza Strip. If Israel was really as evil as this article insinuates, the Gaza Strip would be nothing but a smoldering crater now.
                  Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Let's get real here, if Hamas wasn't first attacking Israel, Israel would not be fighting in Gaza - Israel does not want this war, it doesn't help them on any level. The fact is, the FACT - is that since Hamas took rule they imported construction materials not to build schools and hospitals but to build tunnels to hide and smuggle rockets. They have showered the nation of Israel with literally thousands of these rockets. Any other rational nation would have flattened Gaza by now, like we did to the cities of Germany and Japan. And it would be completely justified. The Jews gave up Gaza free and clear, and when they did it was a thriving state, today is a crap hole. Thanks to Hamas and the people who elected them!
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Let's get real here, if Hamas wasn't first attacking Israel, Israel would not be fighting in Gaza - Israel does not want this war, it doesn't help them on any level. The fact is, the FACT - is that since Hamas took rule they imported construction materials not to build schools and hospitals but to build tunnels to hide and smuggle rockets. They have showered the nation of Israel with literally thousands of these rockets. Any other rational nation would have flattened Gaza by now, like we did to the cities of Germany and Japan. And it would be completely justified. The Jews gave up Gaza free and clear, and when they did it was a thriving state, today is a crap hole. Thanks to Hamas and the people who elected them!
                      Funny you should mention that. On my recent trip to Israel, it was hard NOT to notice that when you traveled from the "Israeli controlled" sections into the "Palestinian controlled" sections, it was like going from civilization into a third world country. And friends who have been there PRIOR to Israel "handing over" the West Bank, for example, say that each time they go, they can see the Palestinian controlled sections getting worse and worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahiya_doctrine

If the article is right that this "Dahiya doctrine" has actually been implemented, then we have a very serious problem. Even the suggestion is morally problematic.
                        Yes, I agree. This will make me an outcast here most likely but any general who suggests that on behalf of his nation deserves severe censure at the very least. There is no way that can be morally justified.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Funny you should mention that. On my recent trip to Israel, it was hard NOT to notice that when you traveled from the "Israeli controlled" sections into the "Palestinian controlled" sections, it was like going from civilization into a third world country. And friends who have been there PRIOR to Israel "handing over" the West Bank, for example, say that each time they go, they can see the Palestinian controlled sections getting worse and worse.
                          Which is due in part to Israel controlling, among other things, water resources. If they don't get the resources they need for economic development, it's easy to see why they can't accomplish it.
                          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Funny how after the 2005 withdrawal Israel started suffering rocket attacks from the Gaza - kinda hard to explain if they didn't legitimately withdraw...

Wasn't that 'refugee flotilla' thing a few years ago launched from the Gaza as well? I could be mistaken (can't remember offhand much about it) but if so, so much for maritime control, huh?
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                              Which is due in part to Israel controlling, among other things, water resources. If they don't get the resources they need for economic development, it's easy to see why they can't accomplish it.
                              Has more to do with the Palestinian Authority's ineptitude and outright corruption, however.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment