Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why The Left Hates Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tabibito
    replied
    Have to wonder why the weapons weren't seized and destroyed.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    For the second time in less than a week, rockets have been found in a school in Gaza operated by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency, the body said.

“Today, in the course of the regular inspection of its premises, UNRWA discovered rockets hidden in a vacant school in the Gaza Strip,” the organization said in a statement issued Tuesday. “As soon as the rockets were discovered, UNRWA staff were withdrawn from the premises, and so we are unable to confirm the precise number of rockets. The school is situated between two other UNRWA schools that currently each accommodate 1,500 internally displaced persons.”

As it did the last time around when missiles were found in a school it operates, UNRWA said it “strongly and unequivocally condemns the group or groups responsible for this flagrant violation of the inviolability of its premises under international law.”
    http://www.timesofisrael.com/for-sec...#ixzz38EJ9rnlA

This is how mentally sick these UN leftists are: UNRWA said it strongly and unequivocally condemns the group or groups responsible for this flagrant violation.

They won't even condemn Hamas by name!

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Who do you think controls the editors and is making them follow their view?
    Usually, it is controlled by the owners, and the owner's perception of what best lines his pockets.
    "Business owner decides he wants to get the highest possible return for the lowest possible outlay."
    "Employee decides he wants to get the highest possible return for the lowest possible outlay."
    Which approach will the media attribute to "sound business sense"? Which approach will the media attribute to "rapacious greed"? ... but just a second, the approaches are identical.
    You think people who disagree with Israel's actions base their opinion on turns of phrase?
    Assuredly - turns of phrase are the life blood of propaganda. Nice subtle touches that pass without notice ... "In the opinion of professor X, a climatologist" or "professor X, a climatologist claims" lead to a very different perception of what has been said to "The noted climatologist, Professor X says". Reporters and editors are adept at using the technique to manipulate popular perception.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
    Like?
    Like "Gaza Strip" being the top MSM news story for days now. Like international groups comparing Israel to the nazis. Like international anti-Israel protest memes. Like violent demonstrations such as these for activities that have only been occurring for like a week...

Like the kind of mass antiwar demonstrations we saw from liberals against US military interventions before Obama got into office and increased the drone program and implemented a US citizen "kill list." There is clear discrepancy of public outrage.
    Last edited by seanD; 07-19-2014, 04:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post
    The point is, where is the same anger and MSM attention given to the greater atrocities?
    Like?

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Do you think the people who disagree with Israel would call their actions "far lesser and probably more justified"?
    The point is, where is the same anger and MSM attention given to the greater atrocities?

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    The international backlash, including and especially from the left, over years of war and death toll associated with US claims of fighting terrorism in no way reflects the backlash Israel is getting for similar but far lesser and probably more justified activities... was my point.
    Do you think the people who disagree with Israel would call their actions "far lesser and probably more justified"?

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
    That, and the propensity for the media to massage the story with the ideological views of those who control the editors - which by and large becomes merged with fact in the readers' minds. Small things, like billing the rescue of a kidnap victim as an escape by the victim, never mentioning the rescue or the rescuer don't mean a lot by themselves, but there is a cumulative effect.
    Who do you think controls the editors and is making them follow their view? You think people who disagree with Israel's actions base their opinion on turns of phrase? I am under the impression that these people take issue with patterns of major actions.

Case in point - the Israel thing gets constant front page press. The USA thing maybe gets a paragraph on page 5 a couple of times.
    I don't think so. I clearly remember during the early days of the war in Iraq and a retread after the lack Saddam's weapons of mass destruction when there was ongoing news about what the UN thinks.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    Couldn't it just be that people react to the way a country acts if they find it displeasing?
    That, and the propensity for the media to massage the story with the ideological views of those who control the editors - which by and large becomes merged with fact in the readers' minds. Small things, like billing the rescue of a kidnap victim as an escape by the victim, never mentioning the rescue or the rescuer don't mean a lot by themselves, but there is a cumulative effect.

I've seen plenty of backlash against the US's atrocities. The UN has condemned the US for its action in the Middle East. I have no idea where you got these ideas. I am not interested in talking about the situation with Israel. I am interested in the argument in the OP about the cause of backlash.
    Case in point - the Israel thing gets constant front page press. The USA thing maybe gets a paragraph on page 5 a couple of times.
    Last edited by tabibito; 07-19-2014, 10:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    I've seen plenty of backlash against the US's atrocities. The UN has condemned the US for its action in the Middle East. I have no idea where you got these ideas. I am not interested in talking about the situation with Israel. I am interested in the argument in the OP about the cause of backlash.
    The international backlash, including and especially from the left, over years of war and death toll associated with US claims of fighting terrorism in no way reflects the backlash Israel is getting for similar but far lesser and probably more justified activities... was my point.

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    So trying to survive is a morally bad thing?
    I am not making any claim or judgment about Israel's actions. I only know a little about the issue and don't want to get into that discussion. You know how annoying it is when some people say that the only reason conservatives don't like Obama is because of racism, so it makes no sense that you would champion that same sentiment when it's being slung in the other direction.

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    If you are a nutty lefty like PM.
    Good job assuming you know my position!

US is not receiving anywhere near the international backlash that Israel is receiving and the former has committed far more atrocities around the world and in a much bigger territorial expanse than Israel, so no, that isn't very plausible in light of that discrepancy. Israel is surrounded by hostile folks (folks they also deem as terrorists, or at least harboring terrorists) on every side of their border, so (whether what they're doing is ethical or not is not really relevant here) they're reacting in a fashion that most countries would act in that situation; certainly the way we reacted. US was attacked by enemies thousands of miles away from its borders and look at our military expansions and campaigns across the globe in the last decade, yet the UN says next to nothing. Imagine had those enemies existed right on our border.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    If you are a nutty lefty like PM.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Couldn't it just be that people react to the way a country acts if they find it displeasing?
    US is not receiving anywhere near the international backlash that Israel is receiving and the former has committed far more atrocities around the world and in a much bigger territorial expanse than Israel, so no, that isn't very plausible in light of that discrepancy. Israel is surrounded by hostile folks (folks they also deem as terrorists, or at least harboring terrorists) on every side of their border, so (whether what they're doing is ethical or not is not really relevant here) they're reacting in a fashion that most countries would act in that situation; certainly the way we reacted. US was attacked by enemies thousands of miles away from its borders and look at our military expansions and campaigns across the globe in the last decade, yet the UN says next to nothing. Imagine had those enemies existed right on our border.
    Last edited by seanD; 07-18-2014, 08:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Yeah, "western" was too vague. I meant certain neocons (including "democrats" such as Obama and the Clintons) and religious leaders like Haggee. I understand this undying loyalty from people like Haggee -- influenced by his eschatological views -- but I don't understand the political side of it.
    In Bill Clinton's autobiography, he wrote about how his pastor back home in Arkansas told him he could toe the Democratic Party line on any issue, even abortion... but that God would never forgive him if he turned his back on Israel. I have no idea how personally religious he is now or was then, but that could shed some light at least on how he acted awhile in office. I don't know though. I think that mindset of unforgivability weighs in the minds of many Christians when it comes to support of Israel.

(Though I don't see a theological necessity to support Israel, I do happen to think they are more in the right in this particular conflict. Or perhaps "less in the wrong" would be more accurate.)

Leave a comment:

• Psychic Missile
    replied

Leave a comment: