// Required code

Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why The Left Hates Israel

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why The Left Hates Israel

    Interesting interview:

    http://www.christianpost.com/news/wh...israel-123416/

    Why Are Liberals Opponents of Israel?

    In the 1960's, Liberals were among some of Israel's strongest supporters, but have since become some of Israel's staunchest opponents. In his new book, Making David Into Goliath: How the World Turned Against Israel, Joshua Muravchik, a fellow at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies, explores the reasons behind this change.


    "Leftists/liberals/progressives believe that the great moral drama of our era is "the rest against the West" or the "people of color" against the "white man." This has replaced poor-against-rich or worker-against-capitalist as the core idea of progressive thought. Seen through that lens, Israel (the "Western," "white" guys) is automatically wrong and the Palestinians (the "anti-colonialist" "people of color") are automatically right. On the other side, conservatives value Israel as a free country, a democracy, and an ally of the United States."
    Last edited by seer; 07-18-2014, 02:00 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  • #2
    Wouldn't this just be biblical fulfillment?
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by seanD View Post
      Wouldn't this just be biblical fulfillment?
      I'm not aware of any biblical prophecies about the American left.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I'm not aware of any biblical prophecies about the American left.
        Revelation 20:15
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

        There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I'm not aware of any biblical prophecies about the American left.
          No, but generally speaking, most of those on the left are non-Christian (of course, it isn't just the left; this would include those of other religions, apart from Judaism), thus spiritually susceptible to the world's sentiments about Israel (this is obviously beyond a civics issue).

          On another note, it seems there are two extremes -- and I mean extremes -- to this issue. Personally, I find it strange the extreme western loyalty -- almost like an over-the-top infatuation -- with Israel more than I do the hatred of Israel by the general world. That's something I definitely can't explain.
          "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by seanD View Post
            Wouldn't this just be biblical fulfillment?
            I always wondered if there was a spiritual component in all of this.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by seanD View Post
              On another note, it seems there are two extremes -- and I mean extremes -- to this issue. Personally, I find it strange the extreme western loyalty -- almost like an over-the-top infatuation -- with Israel more than I do the hatred of Israel by the general world. That's something I definitely can't explain.
              By Western I guess you mean American. The rest of the West hates Israel.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

              There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                By Western I guess you mean American. The rest of the West hates Israel.
                Yeah, "western" was too vague. I meant certain neocons (including "democrats" such as Obama and the Clintons) and religious leaders like Haggee. I understand this undying loyalty from people like Haggee -- influenced by his eschatological views -- but I don't understand the political side of it.
                "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Couldn't it just be that people react to the way a country acts if they find it displeasing?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by seanD View Post
                    Yeah, "western" was too vague. I meant certain neocons (including "democrats" such as Obama and the Clintons) and religious leaders like Haggee. I understand this undying loyalty from people like Haggee -- influenced by his eschatological views -- but I don't understand the political side of it.
                    In Bill Clinton's autobiography, he wrote about how his pastor back home in Arkansas told him he could toe the Democratic Party line on any issue, even abortion... but that God would never forgive him if he turned his back on Israel. I have no idea how personally religious he is now or was then, but that could shed some light at least on how he acted awhile in office. I don't know though. I think that mindset of unforgivability weighs in the minds of many Christians when it comes to support of Israel.

                    (Though I don't see a theological necessity to support Israel, I do happen to think they are more in the right in this particular conflict. Or perhaps "less in the wrong" would be more accurate.)
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                      Couldn't it just be that people react to the way a country acts if they find it displeasing?
                      So trying to survive is a morally bad thing?
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                        Couldn't it just be that people react to the way a country acts if they find it displeasing?
                        US is not receiving anywhere near the international backlash that Israel is receiving and the former has committed far more atrocities around the world and in a much bigger territorial expanse than Israel, so no, that isn't very plausible in light of that discrepancy. Israel is surrounded by hostile folks (folks they also deem as terrorists, or at least harboring terrorists) on every side of their border, so (whether what they're doing is ethical or not is not really relevant here) they're reacting in a fashion that most countries would act in that situation; certainly the way we reacted. US was attacked by enemies thousands of miles away from its borders and look at our military expansions and campaigns across the globe in the last decade, yet the UN says next to nothing. Imagine had those enemies existed right on our border.
                        Last edited by seanD; 07-18-2014, 09:01 PM.
                        "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by seer View Post
                          So trying to survive is a morally bad thing?
                          If you are a nutty lefty like PM.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by seer View Post
                            So trying to survive is a morally bad thing?
                            I am not making any claim or judgment about Israel's actions. I only know a little about the issue and don't want to get into that discussion. You know how annoying it is when some people say that the only reason conservatives don't like Obama is because of racism, so it makes no sense that you would champion that same sentiment when it's being slung in the other direction.

                            Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            If you are a nutty lefty like PM.
                            Good job assuming you know my position!

                            Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            US is not receiving anywhere near the international backlash that Israel is receiving and the former has committed far more atrocities around the world and in a much bigger territorial expanse than Israel, so no, that isn't very plausible in light of that discrepancy. Israel is surrounded by hostile folks (folks they also deem as terrorists, or at least harboring terrorists) on every side of their border, so (whether what they're doing is ethical or not is not really relevant here) they're reacting in a fashion that most countries would act in that situation; certainly the way we reacted. US was attacked by enemies thousands of miles away from its borders and look at our military expansions and campaigns across the globe in the last decade, yet the UN says next to nothing. Imagine had those enemies existed right on our border.
                            I've seen plenty of backlash against the US's atrocities. The UN has condemned the US for its action in the Middle East. I have no idea where you got these ideas. I am not interested in talking about the situation with Israel. I am interested in the argument in the OP about the cause of backlash.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                              I've seen plenty of backlash against the US's atrocities. The UN has condemned the US for its action in the Middle East. I have no idea where you got these ideas. I am not interested in talking about the situation with Israel. I am interested in the argument in the OP about the cause of backlash.
                              The international backlash, including and especially from the left, over years of war and death toll associated with US claims of fighting terrorism in no way reflects the backlash Israel is getting for similar but far lesser and probably more justified activities... was my point.
                              "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seanD, Yesterday, 05:25 PM
                              2 responses
                              55 views
                              3 likes
                              Last Post seanD
                              by seanD
                               
                              Started by Whateverman, Yesterday, 01:23 PM
                              4 responses
                              51 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Starlight  
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, Yesterday, 10:30 AM
                              65 responses
                              384 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sparko
                              by Sparko
                               
                              Started by Starlight, 10-16-2020, 06:20 PM
                              23 responses
                              216 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post oxmixmudd  
                              Started by Whateverman, 10-16-2020, 06:20 PM
                              17 responses
                              157 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sparko
                              by Sparko
                               
                              Working...
                              X