Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Germany looks for protection from their so-called allies

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Germany looks for protection from their so-called allies

    Yes, the typewriter...

    A leading German politician has suggested that typewriters will be used to write confidential documents, in the wake of the U.S. spying scandal.

    Patrick Sensburg, head of the German parliament’s enquiry into NSA activity, said that email may soon become redundant, in an interview with the Morgenmagazin TV show Monday night.

    Faced with the incredulity of the interviewer, Sensburg insisted that his announcement wasn’t a joke. He added that should German politicians adopt typewriters, they’ll be using manual, not electronic, models.

    Sensburg said that ongoing U.S. monitoring of Germany necessitated the change in operation.

    http://time.com/2986091/germany-may-...h-typewriters/
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

  • #2
    Like Germany (or any other functioning country) isn't spying on its allies. It's all a stupid show so the SeanDs of Germany can be made to think SOMETHING IS BEING DONE.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

    There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      Like Germany (or any other functioning country)...
      Wait... Germany is FUNCTIONING?!?!?! Isn't SPARKO over there??????
      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        Like Germany (or any other functioning country) isn't spying on its allies. It's all a stupid show so the SeanDs of Germany can be made to think SOMETHING IS BEING DONE.
        We have been spying on our friends and allies, our friends and allies have been spying on us and each other. Anyone remember Jonathan Pollard?

        Last year the recently retired head of the French counter-espionage and intelligence service (the Direction Centrale du Renseignement Intérieur --DCRI), Bernard Squarcini, acknowledged that France regularly spied on the U.S. and vice versa.

        Squarcini stated that, "the French intelligence services know full well that all countries, whether or not they are allies in the fight against terrorism, spy on each other all the time. The Americans spy on French commercial and industrial interests, and we do the same to them because it’s in the national interest to protect our companies."

        In the 1980s French intelligence agents conducted espionage operations against IBM and Texas Instruments in order to assist a French-owned computer company, Bull Information Systems (a.k.a., Groupe Bull). Apparently such efforts got much more aggressive in the 1990s with our aerospace industry being a primary target.

        And despite Angela Merkel's public outrage Germany's foreign intelligence agency, Bundesnachrichtendienst -- BND, regularly spies on American interests.

        As for using typewriters to foil spying... This is laughable. Decades ago the Russians perfected methods of determining exactly what was being typed based on the fact that each key of a typewriter makes a distinct sound.

        For a look at the other side of the debate I suggest this article from the Washington Post: Why America spies on its allies (and probably should)

        I'm always still in trouble again

        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

        Comment


        • #5
          I got to tell ya, you guys have thrown be for a loop. I thought twebbers would love another opportunity to bash Obama and his international relation ineptitude. Rogue even linked to a "liberal biased" (something I've heard quite often here in the past) news source that clearly offers an apologetic argument for Obama. Wow!
          "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by seanD View Post
            I got to tell ya, you guys have thrown be for a loop. I thought twebbers would love another opportunity to bash Obama and his international relation ineptitude. Rogue even linked to a "liberal biased" (something I've heard quite often here in the past) news source that clearly offers an apologetic argument for Obama. Wow!
            It's not like anybody important actually believes Obama is capable of hiding it anymore. We don't really make a big deal out of the incompetence or immorality we fully expect. Heck, I called Obama out as probably gay here long before Joan Rivers ever got up the nerve to. The only question now is the balance of blame he and the people who elect and enable him deserve (and you should probably have guessed by my more recent posts that I'm focused very much on the latter.)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              We have been spying on our friends and allies, our friends and allies have been spying on us and each other. Anyone remember Jonathan Pollard?

              Last year the recently retired head of the French counter-espionage and intelligence service (the Direction Centrale du Renseignement Intérieur --DCRI), Bernard Squarcini, acknowledged that France regularly spied on the U.S. and vice versa.

              Squarcini stated that, "the French intelligence services know full well that all countries, whether or not they are allies in the fight against terrorism, spy on each other all the time. The Americans spy on French commercial and industrial interests, and we do the same to them because it’s in the national interest to protect our companies."

              In the 1980s French intelligence agents conducted espionage operations against IBM and Texas Instruments in order to assist a French-owned computer company, Bull Information Systems (a.k.a., Groupe Bull). Apparently such efforts got much more aggressive in the 1990s with our aerospace industry being a primary target.

              And despite Angela Merkel's public outrage Germany's foreign intelligence agency, Bundesnachrichtendienst -- BND, regularly spies on American interests.

              As for using typewriters to foil spying... This is laughable. Decades ago the Russians perfected methods of determining exactly what was being typed based on the fact that each key of a typewriter makes a distinct sound.

              For a look at the other side of the debate I suggest this article from the Washington Post: Why America spies on its allies (and probably should)
              Source: German security recorded Clinton conversation: media


              German security agents recorded a conversation involving Hillary Clinton while she was U.S. Secretary of State, media reported on Friday, a potential embarrassment for Berlin which has lambasted Washington for its widespread surveillance.

              Clinton's words were intercepted while she was on a U.S. government plane, Germany's Sueddeutsche Zeitung newspaper and German regional public broadcasters NDR and WDR said, without giving details of where she was or when the recording was made.

              The respected broadsheet quoted German government sources saying the conversation had been picked up "by accident" and was not part of any plan to spy on Washington's top diplomat. The fact the recording had not been destroyed immediately was "idiocy", said one of the sources.

              Both Germany's government and a spokeswoman for the National Security Council at the White House declined to comment on the reports on Friday.

              Relations between the United States and Germany were hit last year by revelations by former U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) contractor Edward Snowden that Washington spied on German officials and bugged the phone of Chancellor Angela Merkel.

              The dispute was revived in July when Germany's Federal Prosecutor arrested Markus R., a 31-year old employee of Germany's foreign intelligence agency (BND), on suspicion of spying for the Americans.

              Details of the German recording of Clinton's conversation were included in documents that Markus R. had passed on to Washington, said the German media reports, without citing a source for that information.

              The newspaper and the radio stations said a joint investigation had discovered the documents also showed Germany's government had ordered the BND to spy on a NATO partner state, without naming the country.

              The media reports said U.S. authorities had brought up the affair in recent discussions, including one between current Secretary of State John Kerry and German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier.

              Merkel said in an interview last month that the United States and Germany had fundamentally different conceptions of the role of the intelligence service, and she stressed the Cold War was over.


              Source

              © Copyright Original Source



              Oops.

              I'm always still in trouble again

              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

              Comment


              • #8
                Geopolitics is now officially a Student Council catfight.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Wait... Germany is FUNCTIONING?!?!?! Isn't SPARKO over there??????
                  I am NOT a spy!

                  BTW, anyone want to buy some cheap german typewriters I sto- er picked up while I was over there?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I am NOT a spy!
                    Then explain the "Benedict Arnold is my Homeboy" tattoo

                    I'm always still in trouble again

                    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Then explain the "Benedict Arnold is my Homeboy" tattoo
                      How am I supposed to know why you have that tattoo?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The only tattoo I have is a heart with a slice of bacon in it that can only be seen during a syzygy of at least four celestial bodies.

                        We're talking about the one you have just above the one of the skull and crossbones on your left arm.

                        I'm always still in trouble again

                        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          The only tattoo I have is a heart with a slice of bacon in it that can only be seen during a syzygy of at least four celestial bodies.

                          We're talking about the one you have just above the one of the skull and crossbones on your left arm.
                          The one that says "Mom - Sorry I had to shoot ya?"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            The one that says "Mom - Sorry I had to shoot ya?"
                            That's above the skull and crossbones tattoo on your right shoulder

                            I'm always still in trouble again

                            "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              That's above the skull and crossbones tattoo on your right shoulder
                              No. That one says "If you can read this tattoo, you are too close. prepare to die"

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Mountain Man, Yesterday, 09:34 AM
                              10 responses
                              105 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Maranatha  
                              Started by CivilDiscourse, 12-03-2020, 07:13 AM
                              11 responses
                              103 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 12-02-2020, 10:50 PM
                              49 responses
                              386 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Mountain Man  
                              Started by rogue06, 12-02-2020, 08:47 AM
                              5 responses
                              59 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Started by LiconaFan97, 12-01-2020, 11:56 PM
                              51 responses
                              357 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Starlight  
                              Working...
                              X