Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Guns, Less Crime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it comes to murder and suicides, more guns show less of those particular crimes as this chart shows

gun ownership.jpg
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      Democratic presidents have been the greatest gun salesmen in the last two decades.
      Aw come on, give Nancy Pelosi SOME credit! She's downright SCARY looking!

nancy.jpg
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Aw come on, give Nancy Pelosi SOME credit! She's downright SCARY looking!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1144[/ATTACH]
        Here was me when I saw that gif...

That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Here was me when I saw that gif...

I was beside you when you looked at it

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            Interesting correlation is that overall crime has been dropping in the US at the same time gun sales have been skyrocketing in the US. The hysteria of gun violence is not factually justifiable and strictly MSM and politically induced.
            Correlation does not equal causation, FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
              At the very least, these facts are wholly consistent with the view that more guns = less crime, and contradict the view that more guns = more crime.

Comment

But facts do and we were told that higher amount of guns should equal higher crime rates, but the opposite seems to hold true.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

True as a matter of fact, but we have the same statistics from all over the nation. Good verification that in this case the correlation does indeed equal causation.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    True as a matter of fact, but we have the same statistics from all over the nation. Good verification that in this case the correlation does indeed equal causation.
                    Yeah
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

A few caveats: I do not think an increase in gun ownership results in an increase in crime. I think that an increase in gun ownership results in more violent crime and non-crimes like suicide or accidents. I spoke up because confirmation bias annoys me.

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                      At the very least, these facts are wholly consistent with the view that more guns = less crime, and contradict the view that more guns = more crime.
                      They are unrelated to the view that more guns = less crime. They do not contradict the view that more guns = more crime.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      But facts do and we were told that higher amount of guns should equal higher crime rates, but the opposite seems to hold true.
                      How so?

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Can you show causation?
                      Last edited by Psychic Missile; 07-19-2014, 04:17 AM.

Comment

A few caveats: I do not think an increase in gun ownership results in an increase in crime. I think that an increase in gun ownership results in more violent crime and non-crimes like suicide or accidents. I spoke up because confirmation bias annoys me
                        Then, naturally you're going to prove your point.

Comment

How so?
                          Check the stats for yourself. In areas where gun control is strictly enforced, you find higher rates of crime going on. Mexico has some of the strictest gun control laws in the world, so why are the crime rates so high if gun control is stricter than it is here in most of the US? Brazil also has some strict gun control laws too. Colombia also has strict gun control laws too. Yet, these countries are some of the most violent countries on earth, so how can a gun control advocate maintain the position that gun control lowers crime rates when the reality seems to show the opposite?
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Then, naturally you're going to prove your point.
                            I don't see why guns would increase violence. Guns are weapons and violence is a behavior. I think if someone is psychologically predisposed to violence it doesn't matter if they own a gun or a knife. When it comes to suicide, we know that it happens episodically or suddenly, and suicide survivors end up regretting their actions. Naturally, a more fatal method doesn't allow for regret and makes it much more difficult to save any injured people. This means that access to gun increases the number of people lost to suicide. 1 We can extrapolate from this that if people are handling guns, there will be accidents. 2 A gun is also an efficient murder weapon, so murderers can be surer of their job.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            Check the stats for yourself. In areas where gun control is strictly enforced, you find higher rates of crime going on. Mexico has some of the strictest gun control laws in the world, so why are the crime rates so high if gun control is stricter than it is here in most of the US? Brazil also has some strict gun control laws too. Colombia also has strict gun control laws too. Yet, these countries are some of the most violent countries on earth, so how can a gun control advocate maintain the position that gun control lowers crime rates when the reality seems to show the opposite?
                            First, I did not say that gun control lowers crime rates. In fact, I think gun control has little to no effect on crime rates. Second, those three countries have major problems with drug cartels. That might have something to do with it. Third, gun control is strictly enforced in Japan, South Korea, Sweden, Germany, and Switzerland. These countries have a much lower crime rate than the US.

Comment