Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Guns, Less Crime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Guns, Less Crime?

No duh!

Detroit police chief gives credit to armed citizens for drop in crime

Detroit has experienced 37 percent fewer robberies in 2014 than during the same period last year, 22 percent fewer break-ins of businesses and homes, and 30 percent fewer carjackings. Craig attributed the drop to better police work and criminals being reluctant to prey on citizens who may be carrying guns.

“Criminals are getting the message that good Detroiters are armed and will use that weapon,” said Craig, who has repeatedly said he believes armed citizens deter crime. “I don’t want to take away from the good work our investigators are doing, but I think part of the drop in crime, and robberies in particular, is because criminals are thinking twice that citizens could be armed.

“I can’t say what specific percentage is caused by this, but there’s no question in my mind it has had an effect,” Craig said.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz37jlVeWVI
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

That correlates with the studies that show that less guns does not make less crime.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

yeah
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        That correlates with the studies that show that less guns does not make less crime.
        The inverse of that is NOT "more guns make less crime," however.
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
          The inverse of that is NOT "more guns make less crime," however.
          No, but it's still true.

Let's say you live next door to me, and I put up a sign in my front yard that says "I have guns and I know how to use them, but my neighbor is anti-gun and I promise not to interfere with his right not to be protected". Who's safer?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            No, but it's still true.

Let's say you live next door to me, and I put up a sign in my front yard that says "I have guns and I know how to use them, but my neighbor is anti-gun and I promise not to interfere with his right not to be protected". Who's safer?
            I don't particularly care to debate gun control issues in this thread. I'm just pointing out that technically, no statistical evidence has been presented here that actually proves what the thread title implies.
            Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

I don't particularly care to debate gun control issues in this thread. I'm just pointing out that technically, no statistical evidence has been presented here that actually proves what the thread title implies.
              Hmmmmm... my little analogy was not about gun control - it was, indeed, the "presence of guns" in one locale, as opposed to the "lack of guns" in another locale..... "more guns" at my house vs. "no guns" at your house.... I'm positing that I would be less likely than you to experience a home invasion or robbery -- "crime". It speaks PRECISELY to the implication of the title of the thread.

Comment

Hmmmmm... my little analogy was not about gun control - it was, indeed, the "presence of guns" in one locale, as opposed to the "lack of guns" in another locale..... "more guns" at my house vs. "no guns" at your house.... I'm positing that I would be less likely than you to experience a home invasion or robbery -- "crime". It speaks PRECISELY to the implication of the title of the thread.
                Okay then. But I'm not sure that that would apply in every situation. The recent gun laws in Georgia now allow people to bring guns into drinking establishments, for instance. Wouldn't the presence of guns in this locale be more likely to lead to violent crime?

Comment

The recent gun laws in Georgia now allow people to bring guns into drinking establishments, for instance. Wouldn't the presence of guns in this locale be more likely to lead to violent crime?
                  Georgia isn't the first state to allow guns into establishments that serve alcohol (there are at least 7 other states that I know of) and those laws haven't lead to more violent gun crime. In at least one state, Virginia, violent crime was down after such a law was passed. From the Richmond Times:

Virginia’s bars and restaurants did not turn into shooting galleries as some had feared during the first year of a new state law that allows patrons with permits to carry concealed guns into alcohol-serving businesses, a Richmond Times-Dispatch analysis found.

The number of major crimes involving firearms at bars and restaurants statewide declined 5.2 percent from July 1, 2010, to June 30, 2011, compared with the fiscal year before the law went into effect, according to crime data compiled by Virginia State Police at the newspaper’s request.

And overall, the crimes that occurred during the law’s first year were relatively minor, and few of the incidents appeared to involve gun owners with concealed-carry permits, the analysis found.
                  Last edited by CMD; 07-17-2014, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Okay then. But I'm not sure that that would apply in every situation. The recent gun laws in Georgia now allow people to bring guns into drinking establishments, for instance. Wouldn't the presence of guns in this locale be more likely to lead to violent crime?
                    I don't know much about Georgia's law, but I would be opposed to allowing guns in drinking establishments. In Texas, you can't carry a gun in ANY establishment that makes 51% of it's profit from the sale of alcohol.

Comment

I'm just pointing out that technically, no statistical evidence has been presented here that actually proves what the thread title implies.
                      Every year sees record gun sales in the US, yet gun-related crimes have been on a downward trend since 2007. This isn't just according to the NRA or the like, but from the FBI's own official crime stats (http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/crimestats).

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                        Every year sees record gun sales in the US, yet gun-related crimes have been on a downward trend since 2007. This isn't just according to the NRA or the like, but from the FBI's own official crime stats (http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/crimestats).
                        That may be. As I said, I'm not interested in debating the issues in this thread. At least you're willing to cite evidence for your claim, unlike seer.

Comment

Interesting correlation is that overall crime has been dropping in the US at the same time gun sales have been skyrocketing in the US. The hysteria of gun violence is not factually justifiable and strictly MSM and politically induced.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            Interesting correlation is that overall crime has been dropping in the US at the same time gun sales have been skyrocketing in the US. The hysteria of gun violence is not factually justifiable and strictly MSM and politically induced.
                            And gun sales are skyrocketing because the liberals keep threatening to control guns.

Comment

And gun sales are skyrocketing because the liberals keep threatening to control guns.
                              Democratic presidents have been the greatest gun salesmen in the last two decades.
                              Last edited by seanD; 07-17-2014, 09:04 PM.

Comment