Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Thin Skinned Commies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Nothing wrong with hating Obama, it's practically a civic duty.

Leave a comment:

• fm93
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    In your opinion, can Obama be the target of satire without it being done out of hatred?
    Of course. But in this case, hatred was almost certainly involved.

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Ok so the homosexuals are defiant but this guy is a hater? Perhaps he is merely being defiant too. Do you know his motives?
    He made a ghastly representation of Obama that makes the man look more like a monster than a human being. I think that's essentially wearing motives on one's sleeves.

Oh get off your semantic high horse. Political satire is just as American as apple pie. I never said it was exclusively American, and more than apple pie is exclusively American.
    Whoops, I meant to include "and in typicality." Political satire isn't typically American either.

Sorry, if you use the tactics of the Communists and Fascists I will call you a Commie or Fascist. I'm not going to stop Homer...
    So you won't object if people call every instance of ignorance in the world "conservative," since plenty of conservatives have been stunningly ignorant?

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by square_peg View Post
    Defiance isn't the equivalent of hatred.

It was almost certainly done out of hatred for Obama, since it made him and his name the main subject.
    Ok so the homosexuals are defiant but this guy is a hater? Perhaps he is merely being defiant too. Do you know his motives?

Then don't claim that it's as American as apple pie when it clearly isn't American in origin or exclusivity. I don't know if you realize this, but words have these things called meanings, which happen to matter.
    Oh get off your semantic high horse. Political satire is just as American as apple pie. I never said it was exclusively American, and more than apple pie is exclusively American.

So because communist groups used it, you call it communist. By that logic, I can easily envision this conversation taking place...
    Sorry, if you use the tactics of the Communists and Fascists I will call you a Commie or Fascist. I'm not going to stop Homer...

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    It was almost certainly done out of hatred for Obama, since it made him and his name the main subject.
    In your opinion, can Obama be the target of satire without it being done out of hatred? Or is he completely off-limits?

Leave a comment:

• fm93
    replied
    Sure, they could be - purposely flaunting social norms.
    Defiance isn't the equivalent of hatred.

Was the float done out of hatred or concern for his country?

No kidding, I don't care when it began, the fact is it has a long tradition in our country.
    Then don't claim that it's as American as apple pie when it clearly isn't American in origin or exclusivity or typicality. I don't know if you realize this, but words have these things called meanings, which happen to matter.

So what, it was part of Communist and Fascist regimes to use the government to stop political dissent. Just like Obama...
    So because communist groups used it, you call it communist. By that logic, I can easily envision this conversation taking place...

Neighbor: "Good morning, seer. The air sure is fresh today, isn't it?"

seer: "Keep that commie air away from me!"

Neighbor: "Huh? Wha--did you just call AIR 'communist?'"

seer: "You heard me!"

Neighbor: "Do you actually know what 'communist' even means? It doesn't make any sense to say that air is communist!"

seer: "Who cares, air was used by communists to supply their dirty diseased brain cells with nutrients. It's commie."

seer: *passes out
    Last edited by fm93; 07-17-2014, 01:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    There's a new scandal every week. There was a point when I thought the administration might be only morally bankrupt, not outright incompetent. Turns out it's both.
    Granted - but really low expectations are expectations...

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Are their actions motivated by hatred?
    Sure, they could be - purposely flaunting social norms. Was the float done out of hatred or concern for his country?

False. Political satire existed long before America even gained its independence.
    No kidding, I don't care when it began, the fact is it has a long tradition in our country.

That's not what "communist" means.
    So what, it was part of Communist and Fascist regimes to use the government to stop political dissent. Just like Obama...

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    I never said that. Firstfloor did.
    Oh, I am so sorry!

Will change it.

Leave a comment:

• fm93
    replied
    Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...8775#post78775

And scroll to the top of the page, please.
    I never said that. Firstfloor did.

Leave a comment:

• fm93
    replied
    Do you also think that mostly naked gay men feigning sexual acts in public parades is equally disgusting?
    Are their actions motivated by hatred?

The fact is political satire is as American as apple pie.
    False. Political satire existed long before America even gained its independence.

And when I use Communist or Fascist it is completely appropriate since they too, like the Obama Justice Dept in this case, use the government to attempt to squash political dissent. Just like what they used the IRS in the last election cycle to do.
    That's not what "communist" means.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Because your post is the last one on the page and I don't know how to isolate one post to give a link to it.

Maybe you should just quote it instead. That little thing after a person's name in the quote will link them right to it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• lilpixieofterror
    replied
    Because your post is the last one on the page and I don't know how to isolate one post to give a link to it.

If you click on the number at the right hand corner of your post, it pops up a link that goes directly to the post in question IE:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ll=1#post78769

Now you know.

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Why does that go straight to one of my posts?

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied

Why does that go straight to one of my posts?

Leave a comment:

• mossrose
    replied
    Really, what idiots!

Justice Department enters fray over 4th of July parade float in Norfolk

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/j...e48e76c5a.html
    Originally posted by firstfloor
    A good professional does not take his personal prejudices into the workplace.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...8775#post78775

And scroll to the top of the page, please.

And my apologies to square.
    Last edited by mossrose; 07-17-2014, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment: