Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fire Him! Off With His Head!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Him! Off With His Head!

Did he say anything untrue?

Reporter Suspended, Could Lose Job Over What He Said About ‘Young Black Men’ Live on the Air

“We were besieged, flooded with calls from police officers furious that we would give media coverage to the life of a cop killer. It’s understandable. We decided to air it because it’s important to shine a light on the anti-cop mentality that has so contaminated America’s inner cities. This same, sick, perverse line of thinking is evident from Jersey City, to Newark and Patterson to Trenton.”

“It has made the police officer’s job impossible and it has got to stop. The underlying cause of all of this, of course: young black men growing up without fathers. Unfortunately, no one in the news media has the courage to touch that subject.”
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...thout-fathers/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Uh, basically. His thesis--"the underlying cause of all this [is] young black men growing up without fathers"--is unfounded and likely untrue. The anti-cop mentality is most likely due to the history of police corruption and brutality among the African-American community.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
      Uh, basically. His thesis--"the underlying cause of all this [is] young black men growing up without fathers"--is unfounded and likely untrue. The anti-cop mentality is most likely due to the history of police corruption and brutality among the African-American community. That thesis is also unfounded and likely untrue.
      FIFY

And both theses have enough truth in them to make it seem to a prejudiced observer that they are justifiable.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Uh, basically. His thesis--"the underlying cause of all this [is] young black men growing up without fathers"--is unfounded and likely untrue. The anti-cop mentality is most likely due to the history of police corruption and brutality among the African-American community.

Really? So the out of control crime in inner cities has nothing to do with absent fathers?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          both theses have enough truth in them to make it seem to a prejudiced observer that they are justifiable.
          False. The conclusion that "the underlying cause of anti-cop mentality is black men growing up without fathers" can only be reached through highly suspect psychoanalysis. Meanwhile, we have a wealth of data and testimony indicating that police corruption is a real thing, and that black people are more than aware of it and view policemen with understandable cynicism. This op-ed piece has a good explanation.
          http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/22/opinio...ida-shootings/

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Really? So the out of control crime in inner cities has nothing to do with absent fathers?
          I don't know if it has nothing to do with that, but it's unreasonable to claim (especially so boldly) that it's THE underlying cause, especially when a different conclusion makes much more sense given the data (and doesn't have to rely on vague psychoanalysis). Check out the above link for a more in-depth look.
          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

I don't know if it has nothing to do with that, but it's unreasonable to claim (especially so boldly) that it's THE underlying cause, especially when a different conclusion makes much more sense given the data (and doesn't have to rely on vague psychoanalysis). Check out the above link for a more in-depth look.

It is not "police corruption" that is causing young black men to slaughter each other by the bushel full. And the fact is Police may need to be more severe in these neighborhoods because those neighborhoods are more severe and dangerous. Either way, the Reporter should not lose his job for expressing his opinion.

Comment

It is not "police corruption" that is causing young black men to slaughter each other by the bushel full.
              Whoa, hold on. You're conflating separate things. The reporter said that the underlying cause of the anti-cop mentality was young black men growing up without fathers. He didn't say that that's why crime rates are so high in the inner cities.

Either way, the Reporter should not lose his job for expressing his opinion.
              He should at least receive some sort of disciplinary action for stating such an unfounded assertion as if it was a proven fact.

Comment

Whoa, hold on. You're conflating separate things. The reporter said that the underlying cause of the anti-cop mentality was young black men growing up without fathers. He didn't say that that's why crime rates are so high in the inner cities.
                So you don't think that higher crime rates go along with an anti-cop mentality? That criminals don't dislike cops more than law abiding citizens?

He should at least receive some sort of disciplinary action for stating such an unfounded assertion as if it was a proven fact.
                You certainly have not shown that it is unfounded, or that it isn't a main driver.

Comment

You certainly have not shown that it is unfounded, or that it isn't a main driver.
                  I can't off hand think of any school shootings that were conducted by black people ... not that I'm saying none have been.
                  I can think of certain people whose behaviour has been rather disgusting over the years who weren't black. KKK for example.
                  Even a bloke by the name of McCarthy.
                  Then there's Mel Gibson, Justin Bieber, Alec Baldwin, Lindsay Lohan ... same attitudes if not played out in as thorough a fashion.
                  Also Bikie gangs, Mafia, Triads etc and so forth. Nothing in common except a certain attitude of entitlement to privilege.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I can't off hand think of any school shootings that were conducted by black people ...
                    They're too busy killing their own...

Source: theBlaze

A 2007 special report released by the Bureau of Justice Statistics, reveals that approximately 8,000 — and, in certain years, as many as 9,000 African Americans are murdered annually in the United States. This chilling figure is accompanied by another equally sobering fact, that 93% of these murders are in fact perpetrated by other blacks. The analysis, supported by FBI records, finds that in 2005 alone, for example, African Americans accounted for 49% of all homicide victims in the US — again, almost exclusively at the hands of other African Americans.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Any stats on cross racial killings? As in how many blacks killed by other races, how many of other races killed by blacks? Or would posting those figures be considered racist?
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

So you don't think that higher crime rates go along with an anti-cop mentality?
                        No. Why should I? What's the logical connection? The order seems to be that police corruption happens in places that already have crime rates, not that high crime rates are influenced by an anti-cop mentality.

That criminals don't dislike cops more than law abiding citizens?
                        The law-abiding citizens in the black community dislike cops precisely because they aren't criminals and yet still have to worry about the police.

How am I supposed to show that something lacks evidence (aka is unfounded?) The burden of proof is on you to provide supporting evidence, of which there doesn't seem to be anything beyond psychoanalysis, which is terribly unscientific and should never be used as evidence. Meanwhile, as I said, we have solid data as well as direct testimonies from black people in which they EXPLICITLY say that they distrust policemen because of the history of police corruption. In that light, of course the second conclusion is much more reasonable to hold.

Comment

Any stats on cross racial killings? As in how many blacks killed by other races, how many of other races killed by blacks? Or would posting those figures be considered racist?
                          I think the 93% pretty much says it -- 93% of blacks are killed by blacks.

I think the tragedy is that there seems to be public outcry when a white kills a black, but the FACTS show that the vast majority of blacks are killed by other blacks. Those "leaders" in the black community only perpetuate the myth that blacks are singled out by whites because they don't have the courage to face the fact that it's their OWN PEOPLE who are slaughtering their own people.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I can't off hand think of any school shootings that were conducted by black people ... not that I'm saying none have been.
                            I can think of certain people whose behaviour has been rather disgusting over the years who weren't black. KKK for example.
                            Even a bloke by the name of McCarthy.
                            Then there's Mel Gibson, Justin Bieber, Alec Baldwin, Lindsay Lohan ... same attitudes if not played out in as thorough a fashion.
                            Also Bikie gangs, Mafia, Triads etc and so forth. Nothing in common except a certain attitude of entitlement to privilege.
                            What does that have to do with anything?

Comment

What does that have to do with anything?
                              It shows that being black, and being victim of police malpractice doesn't have a demonstrable link with antisocial behaviours. If a direct correlation did exist, there would be a distinct lack of other groups committing similar crimes.

Originally posted by Cow Poke
                              I think the 93% pretty much says it -- 93% of blacks are killed by blacks.
                              Not so much. What percentage of Caucasian or Hispanic or American Indian victims of murder are killed by members of the same race as the victim.
                              And what percentage of the (for example) American Indian murder victims are killed by (say) Caucasians. Also 93% of black murder victims are killed by blacks doesn't really indicate how many blacks are committing murder. In theory at least, all of those murders might be committed by the same small cadre of murderers.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment