Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Australian Judge: "Incest, paedophilia 'like being gay'"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
    Of course you shouldn't, although I don't think what could or couldn't sexually happen should be a criterion. The point of marriage is to form new family units; obviously two direct relatives can't do this, since they're in the same family.
    Who get to decide what the point of marriage is? After all it is all up for grabs now. What if the brother and sister want the legal benefits and protection of marriage? Who are you to deny them equal rights?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Who get to decide what the point of marriage is? After all it is all up for grabs now. What if the brother and sister want the legal benefits and protection of marriage? Who are you to deny them equal rights?
      The *point* of marriage was never up for grabs. The debate involves who it applies to, not its purpose.
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

The *point* of marriage was never up for grabs. The debate involves who it applies to, not its purpose.
        Nonsense, where does the law say that the sole purpose of marriage is to create a new family unit? It doesn't. So again, why do you want to deny the brother and sister equal rights?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Of course you shouldn't, although I don't think what could or couldn't sexually happen should be a criterion. The point of marriage is to form new family units; obviously two direct relatives can't do this, since they're in the same family.
          And if testing were to show that consanguinity was not a problem? Where would your argument go in those circumstances? There is a reasonable possibility of the child of a brother and sister not being at any higher risk of genetic defects than the child of two unrelated people. Of course, without genetic testing, it would be something akin to Russian roulette.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The royals of the 17 and 18th century were all related by blood. They were allowed to marry. Many societies allowed marriage between close relatives.. The main point of marriage has always been to raise children in a home with their mother and father.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Out of curiosity, what are you basing the "point" of marriage on?
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

The point of marriage is to form new family units; obviously two direct relatives can't do this, since they're in the same family.
                Hmm. Biblically, the point of marriage is that the two become one flesh. Not make or produce, but become.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

There is no "slippery slope," there's just a plateau where free consent of those involved means sex is okay and lack of it means it isn't.

Anti-LGB sentiment comes from a culture of men owning and raping women, so I can see how things might seem confusing or alarming to that alternate ethos.

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
                    There is no "slippery slope," there's just a plateau where free consent of those involved means sex is okay and lack of it means it isn't.
                    There's nothing stopping liberals from deciding a 4 year old can consent to sex. In fact it's more consistent with egalitarian theology than the current, temporary belief that having sex with children is wrong (unless you're a lesbian). If we're all equal then why can't a 4 year old consent?

Anti-LGB sentiment comes from a culture of men owning and raping women, so I can see how things might seem confusing or alarming to that alternate ethos.
                    Actually you have it entirely backwards, sodomy friendly cultures (Ancient, Greeks, Romans, modern day Afghanis) are generally very misogynistic.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Seriously?
                      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Should a 14 year old be able to give consent?
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          Should a 14 year old be able to give consent?
                          Is there any scientific evidence that suggests a 14 year old shouldn't have the right to decide?
                          It's only two generations since 16 year olds were commonly getting married, and (I think) four or five generations since 14 year olds were getting married. No idea who decided that such actions were unseemly, but it seems to have arisen pretty much concurrently with "free love" advocacy in the mid 20th century.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

A 14 year old understands infertility issues? Really? They 'get' that they are risking both life and fertility by becoming sexually active? Funny, because NONE of the kids I've interviewed knew what sterility even meant, let alone that GC and CT could both cause it! Heck, most can't accurately tell me what HIV is - you can forget them knowing what HPV is - and this is the level of informed consent you get with a kid who isn't legal to drive for a reason!

Some things are just stupid...
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Do these people you speak of exhibit any difficulty in understanding such things when you have explained them?

The lack of knowledge would reflect more the standard of education than the capacity of the person to understand.

I'd further say that not informing them is pretty much a death sentence for some of them. They're being deprived of the opportunity to make informed decisions.

GC, CT, HPV. Unknown terms.
                              But then, when I was 14, the term was VD, and STD was what you did to make a long distance phone call without having to go through an operator.
                              Last edited by tabibito; 07-10-2014, 01:04 PM.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

It seems that whenever homosexuality is mentioned among conservative groups, they invariably wind up commenting on "the destructiveness of sodomy" and how it may be easy to spread disease and cause physical harm. But I've never seen anyone comment on lesbian relations. Has it ever occurred to you that that also counts as homosexuality, and that disease/physical harm isn't more likely to occur through that manner? Seriously, it's like the first and only thing that pops into the conservative mind upon hearing the word "homosexuality" is men having sex with men, and only one form of it. People seem to completely forget about homosexual females or other forms of male-on-male relations.

If I may be blunt, that's a demonstrably false belief.

Well, first of all, neither homosexuality nor pedophilia are choices. As for why it's sometimes acceptable for people to act on the former but never on the latter? Because engaging in pedophilic relations always involves highly questionable power differentials and raises consent issues, whereas homosexual relations don't face those issues if they're practiced between two consenting adults.

Also, incest isn't an orientation or paraphilia. It's simply an act. It doesn't seem that anyone is attracted solely to one's own family members, unlike the case with homosexuality or some people with pedophilia.
                                Demonstrably false belief? Would you like to show me any scientific proof that homosexuality is genetic? And no I don't mean propaganda studies churned out by the gay community. I mean actual peer reviewed papers showing a homosexual or pedophilia discovered gene. You won't find any because there are none.
                                "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment