Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Australian Judge: "Incest, paedophilia 'like being gay'"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Judge: "Incest, paedophilia 'like being gay'"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/austral...gay-judge-says
    Source: stuff.co.nz

A Sydney judge has compared incest and paedophilia to homosexuality, saying the community may no longer see sexual contact between siblings and between adults and children as "unnatural" or "taboo".

District Court Judge Garry Neilson said just as gay sex was socially unacceptable and criminal in the 1950s and 1960s but is now widely accepted, "a jury might find nothing untoward in the advance of a brother towards his sister once she had sexually matured, had sexual relationships with other men and was now 'available', not having [a] sexual partner".

He also said the "only reason" that incest is still a crime is because of the high risk of genetic abnormalities in children born from consanguineous relationships "but even that falls away to an extent [because] there is such ease of contraception and readily access to abortion".

Judge Neilson made the extraordinary and bizarre comments in the case of a 58-year-old man, known for legal reasons as MRM, who is charged with repeatedly raping his younger sister in the family's western Sydney home in 1981.

The man had earlier pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting his sister when she was 10 or 11 years old in 1973 or 1974 after police recorded a telephone conversation between the siblings in July 2011 in which he admitted to having sexual contact with her when she was "a kid".

But he has pleaded not guilty to the charge of sexual intercourse without consent, with an alternative charge of incest, regarding the 1981 events.

On April 7 a jury was empanelled and the Crown Prosecutor requested the jurors be told of the earlier misconduct to show MRM had a tendency to have a sexual interest in and have sexual intercourse with his sister.

The Crown argued that without the background information, the jury might find it hard to understand why MRM began raping his sister "out of the blue" and why she did not report it to her parents or police.

In the mid-1970s MRM had warned her not to tell their parents because they had just lost another son in a car crash and she remained fearful of upsetting her parents when the abuse recommenced in 1981.

But Judge Neilson refused to admit the evidence, saying the sexual abuse which had occurred when the girl was 10 or 11 and the youth was 17 occurred in a different context to the sex which happened when she was 18 and he was 26. By 1981, she had had sexual relationships with two men and had a young child.

"By that stage they are both mature adults. The complainant has been sexually awoken, shall we say, by having two relationships with men and she had become 'free' when the second relationship broke down," Judge Neilson said.

"The only thing that might change that is the fact that they were a brother and sister but we've come a long way from the 1950s ... when the position of the English Common Law was that sex outside marriage was not lawful."

He went on to say incest only remains a crime "to prevent chromosomal abnormalities" but the availability of contraception and abortion now diminishes that reason.
    [article continues]

© Copyright Original Source

The prosecution are calling for the judge to be excluded from the appeal based on his misogynistic attitude towards the complainant and there are akso calls for the case to be referred to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

The slippery slope claims are being realized much quicker than I thought possible...

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Templar View Post
      The slippery slope claims are being realized much quicker than I thought possible...
      Amen.
      3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

At least they are finally being consistent though.
        "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

I'm pretty sure 'consistently stupid' is a bad thing...
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
            At least they are finally being consistent though.

In a crashed TWEEB thread I argued that with a homosexual. He. thought that his argument for social acceptance was necessary, and and the paedophiles was was iligitimate. When confronted that the arguments were the same he couldn't come to grips with it. Hence he left a hater, vowing to deny any rights to the other as that perversion was just to disgusting.

Comment

Well, if I have to say one good thing about Putin, and the citizens of Russia, in general, it's that their finally cracking down on this whole agenda. Even Hitler knew that sodomy was harmful towards society.
              Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                In a crashed TWEEB thread I argued that with a homosexual. He. thought that his argument for social acceptance was necessary, and and the paedophiles was was iligitimate. When confronted that the arguments were the same he couldn't come to grips with it. Hence he left a hater, vowing to deny any rights to the other as that perversion was just to disgusting.
                Yeah I don't understand that mindset either. Homosexuality being a choice (my belief) like any other. How could you intellectually be for one form of sexual choice and not another?
                "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

I also got into a debate with someone about homosexuality, and brought up that the rationale they were using, that "love is the only thing that matters, ever" also supported both incest and pedophilia. Unfortunately it sorta backfired, as in order to protect their position on homosexuality, they then immediately started endorsing any form of sex, including bestiality. It was disgusting to behold.

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                    Well, if I have to say one good thing about Putin, and the citizens of Russia, in general, it's that their finally cracking down on this whole agenda. Even Hitler knew that sodomy was harmful towards society.
                    It seems that whenever homosexuality is mentioned among conservative groups, they invariably wind up commenting on "the destructiveness of sodomy" and how it may be easy to spread disease and cause physical harm. But I've never seen anyone comment on lesbian relations. Has it ever occurred to you that that also counts as homosexuality, and that disease/physical harm isn't more likely to occur through that manner? Seriously, it's like the first and only thing that pops into the conservative mind upon hearing the word "homosexuality" is men having sex with men, and only one form of it. People seem to completely forget about homosexual females or other forms of male-on-male relations.

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                    Yeah I don't understand that mindset either. Homosexuality being a choice (my belief)
                    If I may be blunt, that's a demonstrably false belief.

like any other. How could you intellectually be for one form of sexual choice and not another?
                    Well, first of all, neither homosexuality nor pedophilia are choices. As for why it's sometimes acceptable for people to act on the former but never on the latter? Because engaging in pedophilic relations always involves highly questionable power differentials and raises consent issues, whereas homosexual relations don't face those issues if they're practiced between two consenting adults.

Also, incest isn't an orientation or paraphilia. It's simply an act. It doesn't seem that anyone is attracted solely to one's own family members, unlike the case with homosexuality or some people with pedophilia.
                    Last edited by fm93; 07-09-2014, 11:15 PM.
                    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
                      It seems that whenever homosexuality is mentioned among conservative groups, they invariably wind up commenting on "the destructiveness of sodomy" and how it may be easy to spread disease and cause physical harm. But I've never seen anyone comment on lesbian relations. Has it ever occurred to you that that also counts as homosexuality, and that disease/physical harm isn't more likely to occur through that manner? Seriously, it's like the first and only thing that pops into the conservative mind upon hearing the word "homosexuality" is men having sex with men, and only one form of it. People seem to completely forget about homosexual females or other forms of male-on-male relations.
                      Male homosexuality is more dangerous and contentious with the general public so of course it's gonna get more exposure time. Lesbianism does lower the practitioner's lifespan, mostly because they get morbidly obese and croak of a heart attack at 50, but the danger they pose is mostly to themselves so people subconsciously give them a pass.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

It seems that whenever homosexuality is mentioned among conservative groups, they invariably wind up commenting on "the destructiveness of sodomy" and how it may be easy to spread disease and cause physical harm. But I've never seen anyone comment on lesbian relations.
                        Happy to oblige!

- Employing regression models and series of control variables, Allen concludes that the substandard performance cannot be attributed to lower school attendance or the more modest education of gay or lesbian parents. Indeed, same-sex parents were characterized by higher levels of education, and their children were more likely to be enrolled in school than even those of married, opposite-sex couples. And yet their children are notably more likely to lag in finishing their own schooling.

... What is surprising in the Canadian data is the revelation that lesbian couples’ children fared worse, on average, than even those of single parents.
                        I like Steve's rejoinder: "Many lesbian couples are, in effect, single mothers squared."

Has it ever occurred to you that that also counts as homosexuality, and that disease/physical harm isn't more likely to occur through that manner? Seriously, it's like the first and only thing that pops into the conservative mind upon hearing the word "homosexuality" is men having sex with men, and only one form of it. People seem to completely forget about homosexual females or other forms of male-on-male relations.
                        That's because lesbians couples try so hard to be boring and forgettable that they get away with escaping our notice too often, the little sneaks. What, are yuo complaining that criminal deviance and public health risks aren't enough for you? Did we fail to notice the smaller and more banal everyday evils of lesbian couples, the lesser witches and parasites among us? No longer!

If I may be blunt, that's a demonstrably false belief.
                        Do elaborate

Well, first of all, neither homosexuality nor pedophilia are choices. As for why it's sometimes acceptable for people to act on the former but never on the latter? Because engaging in pedophilic relations always involves highly questionable power differentials and raises consent issues, whereas homosexual relations don't face those issues if they're practiced between two consenting adults.
                        Quit being mealy-mouthed. Normal heterosexuality involves "power differentials and consent issues" every single day, and certain darker Internet lords can argue quite successfully that they're in fact an integral part of human sexual attraction. Only twisted feminists and the hapless debt-slave college students who believe them talk about sex in terms of 'power differentials' and 'consent issues':

Originally posted by R.S. McCain
                        One of the reasons that radical feminism is so influential on university campuses, but generally disdained outside academia, is that the campus environment is a consequence-free unreality. Tenured professors can (and do) preach all manner of impractical nonsense and, on campuses that are home to thousands or tens of thousands of impressionable young women, it is fairly easy for the tenured radicals to attract scores or hundreds of misfit followers.

For example, there are nearly 30,000 women enrolled at Ohio State University’s Columbus campus. How many of those students are majoring or minoring in Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies, or pursuing graduate degrees in that department? Suppose that the WGSS department enrolls just 2% — one in 50 — of women at OSU. That’s almost 600 students, a drop in the bucket relative to the total enrollment, but still a substantial force, if they can be organized and deployed as activist “shock troops” in protests, etc.

Anyone who questioned the legitimacy of Women’s Studies as an academic discipline would be shouted down as a misogynistic Neanderthal, and so this department is protected from outside criticism by a sort of force-field of political correctness. Within that protective cocoon, fanatical ideologues are permitted to promulgate the most astonishing radical nonsense.

...Yet within the force-field of political correctness that surrounds this academic cocoon, there is no one who finds this radicalism unusual. The lesbian inmates are running the feminist asylum, and the fact that taxpayers are footing the bill for all this is something that apparently no one at OSU — nor anyone in the Ohio state legislature — can be bothered to notice. So it is nearly everywhere. When the Women’s Studies program at a state university in South Carolina was abolished after hosting a conference that featured the performance of a one-woman play called “How to Be a Lesbian in 10 Days of Less,” everyone was shocked because this had never happened anywhere else before.

In case anyone wondered why Ohio State University was singled out for scrutiny, the answer is: My choice was entirely random. Pick any major university, look up their Women’s Studies program and look up the syllabus for the introductory course, and compare your findings. This kind of radicalism is ubiquitous in Women’s Studies curricula, and it is no surprise that the most popular anthology of feminist writings — Feminist Frontiers, widely used as a standard textbook — is edited by radical lesbians.

Inside their taxpayer-funded campus sinecures, then, Women’s Studies professors are handsomely rewarded for promoting an ideology that strikes most people as fringe extremism. Yet the supply of Women’s Studies majors vastly exceeds the demand and, outside the elite circle of tenured professors and celebrity feminist authors, those who have spent their collegiate careers soaking up “gender theory” nonsense find themselves marginally employable, even as they are confronted with a reality harshly at odds with the worldview into which they were propagandized as undergraduates.

From this clash between academic theory and the reality of ordinary life emerges the ranting lunacy of radicals like Witchwind. What kind of jobs can these intellectual cripples find outside academia, if they can’t find some non-profit “activist” group to hire them? One imagines such women, disheveled and ill-groomed, standing at intersections and holding up crudely lettered cardboard signs:

“Gender Studies Major: Will Criticize Patriarchy for Food”

The saddest part is that this miserable man-hating madness is funded by taxpayers who have no idea what is being taught inside the Crazy Factories of the Feminist-Industrial Complex.
                        Also, incest isn't an orientation or paraphilia. It's simply an act. It doesn't seem that anyone is attracted solely to one's own family members, unlike the case with homosexuality or some people with pedophilia.
                        It's an act that viscerally disgusts normal people because to normal people, having sex with anyone you grew up with/resemble too closely is deeply weird and off-putting, and people who take it as a sexual option are extremely likely to have other things wrong with them. And pedophilia is definitely a choice, as a great number of them seem to be already middle-aged men and women trying to shock themselves into feeling by being morally transgressive on an even higher level than before, like S&M fetishists. Gayness is a choice to the extent that you choose to stay in a state of permanently arrested development and disinterest in the past or future.

Comment

Why am I not surprised?
                          -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
                          Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                          Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

So if I theoretically had a sister, I shouldn't be able to marry her (even if one of is sterilized or she uses abortion)?
                            -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
                            Sir James Jeans

-This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
                            Sir Isaac Newton

Comment

Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
                              So if I theoretically had a sister, I shouldn't be able to marry her (even if one of is sterilized or she uses abortion)?
                              Of course you shouldn't, although I don't think what could or couldn't sexually happen should be a criterion. The point of marriage is to form new family units; obviously two direct relatives can't do this, since they're in the same family.
                              Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment