Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Only 20% Think Debate About Global Warming Is Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truthseeker
    replied
    Follow the money, kiddo. Also, some people love to enslave others by making false claims. Demagogues. Al Gore, for example.

I don't have a detailed model that I think is worth any CO2 molecule. I do think it's possible that the sun is entering a phase in which the global climate will be significantly cooler. Maybe another Little Ice Age.

Leave a comment:

• John Reece
    replied
    Originally posted by robertb View Post
    I believe that you will find, if you bother to check, that your objection here is based on faulty information.

Of course! For closed-minded AGW true believers, there is no such thing as valid information to the contrary of AGW doctrine.

Anything information contrary to AGW is ipso facto "faulty information"; just as any data favorable to AGW is "good data" and any data contrary to AGW is "bad data". It's all so simple.
    Last edited by John Reece; 07-09-2014, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• robertb
    replied
    Originally posted by John Reece View Post
    Why does the graph beside the article, and indeed the article itself, not indicate the fact that there has been no warming for the past ten to seventeen years ― depending on which of a number of scientific studies and reports that have been cited?

In fact, NOAA temperature data shows that the U.S.A. has been cooling for the past decade. See here.

No consensus model predicted any such phenomenon; in fact, as your quoted article and the accompanying graph indicates, the consensus modal prediction was quite the contrary to what actually has happened. Remember Michael Mann's hockey stick?
    I believe that you will find, if you bother to check, that your objection here is based on faulty information.

Leave a comment:

• John Reece
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    That is true, no one predicted this pause.
    Remember Michael Mann's hockey stick? That's the modal of the AGW consensus prediction.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    In my opinion the scientific debate has never really begun. The pro AGW side has made a declaration and shut down any opposing scientific discussion. The political debate is the only one that has really gone on.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

No consensus model predicted any such phenomenon; in fact, as your quoted article and the accompanying graph indicates, the consensus modal prediction was quite the contrary to what actually has happened.

That is true, no one predicted this pause.

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    As in any scientific debate, a theory that makes better predictions will always trump one that makes worse predictions.
    As John pointed out the AGW has been very unsuccessful making predictions that meant anything.

Leave a comment:

• John Reece
    replied
    Why does the graph beside the article, and indeed the article itself, not indicate the fact that there has been no warming for the past ten to seventeen years ― depending on which of a number of scientific studies and reports that have been cited?

In fact, NOAA temperature data shows that the U.S.A. has been cooling for the past decade. See here.

No consensus model predicted any such phenomenon; in fact, as your quoted article and the accompanying graph indicates, the consensus modal prediction was quite the contrary to what actually has happened. Remember Michael Mann's hockey stick?
    Last edited by John Reece; 07-09-2014, 03:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• robertb
    replied
    What is the consensus position?
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scien...climate_change

This is fairly concise.

Leave a comment:

• John Reece
    replied
    Obviously you believe that the consensus is mistaken. What evidence do you have that you believe would falsify the consensus position?
    What is the consensus position?

Leave a comment:

• robertb
    replied
    He was not proposing a model. He is not in the prediction business.
    Obviously you believe that the consensus is mistaken. What evidence do you have that you believe would falsify the consensus position?

I mean, we're not just talking politics here, right?

Leave a comment:

• John Reece
    replied
    I think you misunderstand. What model do you propose and what predictions does your model make?
    He was not proposing a model. He is not in the prediction business.

Leave a comment:

• robertb
    replied
    Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    robertb seems to think there is just one model of the overall atmosphere temperature that makes just one prediction. Not so. Dozens of models, a great range of predictions. Moreover, most of them are failing so far.
    I think you misunderstand. What model do you propose and what predictions does your model make?

Leave a comment:

• John Reece
    replied
    Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
    Moreover, most of them are failing so far.
    Right. See here.

Leave a comment:

• Truthseeker
    replied
    robertb seems to think there is just one model of the overall atmosphere temperature that makes just one prediction. Not so. Dozens of models, a great range of predictions. Moreover, most of them are failing so far.

Leave a comment: