Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ban The I-Word?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
    And the n-word derives from "negro," which describes the skin color of the people to whom the n-word was directed. But if you use the word, point out that fact and say "So who cares if it's dehumanizing, it fits and is accurate"--well, that's not going to fly as an excuse.

Let's suppose it's true that almost ANY word can be used that way. What's your point? That because other words can also be used to hurt and dehumanize people, we shouldn't care?

Why do you assume these people are politically liberal? Also, please read the above quote from the article that shows exactly how some people are using the word "illegals." Why do you think people are crazy for not wanting to refer to immigrants in such an offensive way?
    But Negro, isn't the N... word. And yes, I don't care what you think flies, illegal immigrant is accurate - whether someone uses it wrongly or not. And we need to keep language accurate, so we know what we are dealing with. And it will only be a matter of time before they will be saying that "undocumented" is offensive. Then they will, through the bastardization of language, destroy all distinction between legal and illegal immigration. Sorry most of us are just not going to follow.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      It's been used as a slur, so it's become a slur. I don't think that should be hard to understand.
      Poor criminal slaves of the Democrats (and the Catholic Church, while we're at it). ;_;
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
        Of course not, nor did anyone ever suggest that. The author has no problem with the word "illegal." She simply has a problem with it being used to refer to foreign immigrants. Besides, there is a significant difference (at least in tone) between saying "What should the government do about those illegal immigrants" and "What should the government do about those illegals?"
        But why does she have a problem with using it to refer to foreign immigrants who are here illegally? This is what I don't understand. I'm not advocating referring to them as "those illegals", but to take such extreme umbrage with a phrase that simply means "they are here in violation of the law" just seems...really weird to me.

I feel like recently everything has become a slur and people are getting offended about everything but definite articles*.

*But now that I think about it, I find your repeated use of the word "the" extremely offensive.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
          Why should any such movement be illegal in the first place? What is the difference between moving from Tijuana to San Diego versus moving from New Jersey to New York?
          Mexicans are bad people as a whole. Both morally and in terms of general competence, which is why Mexico is a murderous craphole. People don't want bad people moving into their country to rape and murder them and turn their country into a craphole like they did to their own country so sane countries have an immigration system in place to separate the decent humans from the trash. There is also the issue of wage depression. Get enough desperate manual laborers in and they destroy the livelihood of your fellow countrymen who probably aren't smart enough to do more useful activities like blogging or marketing.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

I asked a should question... why have arbitrary distinctions like that?
            Are you autistic?

Comment

Why should any such movement be illegal in the first place? What is the difference between moving from Tijuana to San Diego versus moving from New Jersey to New York?
              What is the difference between any of these people moving to San Diego as opposed to your guest bedroom? How many families would you like to host?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                However...

I have to say I don't get how so much of the brunt of the ire is aimed at the kids who had no choice in what their parents did. (Not only the current controversy, but the whole "anchor babies" slur). It's not like they consciously chose to break US law.
                I would prefer it if more of the ire was aimed at open border nutjobs in power myself. Ideally in the form of a noose.

Comment

That and the Deuteronomical/Exodus prohibitions against oppressing foreigners. However, I know of one OT professor who distinguishes in a manner similar to the modern categories of legal/illegal: http://www.crossway.org/blog/2010/06...testament-law/
                  Could you give us some examples of mass movements of foreigners into Israel and how Israel welcomed them with open arms?

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                    Could you give us some examples of mass movements of foreigners into Israel and how Israel welcomed them with open arms?
                    Operations Moses (1984) and Solomon (1991) and other aspects of Beta Israel. I was in the community 6 months ago in Israel where thousands of Ethiopian Jews are housed while being introduced to Israeli Jewish culture, so they can be integrated into society.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Operations Moses (1984) and Solomon (1991) and other aspects of Beta Israel. I was in the community 6 months ago in Israel where thousands of Ethiopian Jews are housed while being introduced to Israeli Jewish culture, so they can be integrated into society.
                      Not talking about modern Israel.

Comment

No idea, but they would have been bound to treat them well barring any further revelation. The Israelis didn't exactly have a strong track record with obeying God, so what they actually would have done is fairly irrelevant.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

No idea, but they would have been bound to treat them well barring any further revelation.
                          Well, no, not according to your second link, unless they were there with permission.

The actual point of bringing it up though is that if they didn't have to deal with mass migration it really doesn't matter what Israel did or had to do since a few foreigners and an invading army (like American illegals) are two entirely different things. It's not like God passed laws about things that weren't actually problems.

Actually, up until the modern era masses of foreign invaders would have been put to the sword without anybody raising an eyebrow. Sending millions of people over a border would be an act of war in saner times.

Comment

Well, no, not according to your second link, unless they were there with permission.

The actual point of bringing it up though is that if they didn't have to deal with mass migration it really doesn't matter what Israel did or had to do since a few foreigners and an invading army (like American illegals) are two entirely different things. It's not like God passed laws about things that weren't actually problems.
                            In such a case it would have certainly been dealt with harshly if they were a threat to the established order; in particular to their religious purity.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I would prefer it if more of the ire was aimed at open border nutjobs in power myself. Ideally in the form of a noose.
                              Can you elaborate on this a bit? Are you seriously saying that you would like to see those who advocate for an open border policy executed? For what crime exactly? Some sort of treason?

Comment

Mass migration of peoples has been going on for thousands of years. If you're from the Americas, your ancestors have, at one point, mass migrated here, and assuming you're not 100% Native American, they've migrated relatively recently.

Comment