Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The case for white supremacy: a progressive perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caucasian =/= white and never has. In this particular case I don't need more specific race classifications beyond white vs everyone else.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
      What if European and North American countries are not more culturally liberal because they are white, but because that's where the movement started.
      Various elements of the progressive movement have been around for hundreds of years, and got picked up with considerably less enthusiasm (if at all) elsewhere. In fact some places (Africa and the Middle East in particular) are moving AWAY from liberalism. This is despite the fact that liberals spend more time sucking up to these groups than they do sucking up to anyone else. In many cases liberals have gotten so neurotic that they don't even bother to criticize these groups when their members engage in acts of defiance against liberalism (or basic civility for that matter), instead looking for some white (and preferably conservative) males to blame instead. A comparison between the hysteria surrounding Russia's relatively mild "anti-gay" laws vs Africans demanding POZdeath is an excellent example of this phenomenon.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        Caucasian =/= white and never has. In this particular case I don't need more specific race classifications beyond white vs everyone else.
        Do you consider Irish, Italian, Greek, or Syrian people white?

Comment

Anyway, getting off topic, I don't have a problem with Japan's culture, on the whole it's probably better than that of most white countries. It's just not all that liberal. I suspect the two are connected.
          My assessment is much along the same lines.
          He volunteered to apologize.
          If it follows tradition, he took one for the team. The Japanese would be fully aware of it, but the bow pretty much guarantees that it will be a long time before anyone acts in a similar fashion. Just a side benefit of a "repressive" society.
          Wait, why is their xenophobia a problem?
          The xenophobia mostly runs to refusing to deal with "interlopers" - you might find the occasional shop that refuses to serve foreigners, for example. To me, that's not an issue - people should have the right to decide who they associate with. The more overt forms of racism, protest signs and the like, are generally considered an embarrassment by the society though, and they are dealing with it.
          Last edited by tabibito; 07-08-2014, 05:57 AM.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            Do you consider Irish, Italian, Greek, or Syrian people white?
            Yes on the first three, for the most part no on Syria since most Syrians are just Arabs.

Comment

Yes on the first three, for the most part no on Syria since most Syrians are just Arabs.
              What criteria are you using to determine who is or is not white?

Comment

What criteria are you using to determine who is or is not white?
                Skin color and recent European origin.

Comment

Skin color and recent European origin.
                  How is that superior to the people of the past who judged all the ethnic groups I listed as non-white?

Comment

How is that superior to the people of the past who judged all the ethnic groups I listed as non-white?
                    I have no idea what you're talking about. My definition of white is pretty much the norm. When people talk about white or black they don't just talk about skin color (otherwise a lot of South Asians would be called "black"), they are also referencing people from particular ethnic groups and areas of the world. I'm not even sure which part of my definition you're complaining about. Are you butthurt because I don't consider Arabs white? I didn't even realize anyone thought they were white.

Comment

I have no idea what you're talking about. My definition of white is pretty much the norm. When people talk about white or black they don't just talk about skin color (otherwise a lot of South Asians would be called "black"), they are also referencing people from particular ethnic groups and areas of the world. I'm not even sure which part of my definition you're complaining about. Are you butthurt because I don't consider Arabs white? I didn't even realize anyone thought they were white.
                      All of the groups I listed were considered non-white at one point or another in our history. Your racial views would have been considered leftist then. Many countries consider Arabs white in official documentation, including the U.S., and they have historically been grouped with whites as OingoBoingo mentioned. Academics now consider race to be a social construct, so I am wondering where your arbitrary designations are.

Comment

All of the groups I listed were considered non-white at one point or another in our history. Your racial views would have been considered leftist then. Many countries consider Arabs white in official documentation, including the U.S., and they have historically been grouped with whites as OingoBoingo mentioned. Academics now consider race to be a social construct, so I am wondering where your arbitrary designations are.
                        Out of curiosity, how would you differentiate between "races"?
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          Out of curiosity, how would you differentiate between "races"?
                          By whatever a society says is a race, since that determines commonalities.

Edit: I'm not making any conclusions based on race outside of "these people have a shared experience based on their society's arbitrary grouping".
                          Last edited by Psychic Missile; 07-08-2014, 04:11 PM.

Comment

All of the groups I listed were considered non-white at one point or another in our history.
                            I've seen this asserted, but when I tried to trace the sources they usually traced to ranting liberals rather than any primary source.

Your racial views would have been considered leftist then.
                            The more narrow type of definition of race like the one back then fits biology a lot better than the current one, incidentally, particularly in regards to Africa where many groups don't share any closer ancestry with each other than they do with anyone else in the world, probably a factor of relatively low mobility.

Many countries consider Arabs white in official documentation, including the U.S., and they have historically been grouped with whites as OingoBoingo mentioned.
                            Could you be more specific? Which documentation? I know the Census considers them white, but the census is also pretty incoherent and hardly a representation of popular views. And OingoBoingo did not say anything about whites, he was talking about Caucasians. Caucasians are not and never have been limited to whites. It's always included arabs, persians, Indians, etc since they are (relatively) close in terms of heredity. Their historic conflation is largely a result of uneducated people trying to sound smarter than they really are.

Academics now consider race to be a social construct, so I am wondering where your arbitrary designations are.
                            All biological classifications are social constructs in that they were invented by humans for the purpose of classification. That's a far cry from arbitrary though.
                            Last edited by Darth Executor; 07-08-2014, 04:50 PM.

Comment

This seems relevant to this thread BTW:

Comment