Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Sin Of Hunting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sin Of Hunting...

https://gma.yahoo.com/cheerleader-fi...ries.html?vp=1

The Texas cheerleader who sparked a social media firestorm after posting pictures with animals she shot and killed to Facebook is fighting back against critics who are petitioning the social media network to have her page removed.

Kendall Jones, a 19-year-old cheerleader at Texas Tech University, first drew controversy when she posted on Facebook photos of herself smiling next to wild animals like a lion, a rhino and a leopard that she says she hunted while in Africa.

The photos drew the ire of animal rights activists who created a petition June 22 asking Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg to remove her page because it promotes animal cruelty. As of today, the petition has 121,788 of the 200,000 signatures it is seeking.
    Now here is my take on this. Hunting is not necessarily a bad thing, I hunted for sport for a number of years, but always ate my kills (I was mostly a bird hunter). And I don't think one should be banned from Facebook for posting such kills (more liberal overreaction). Having said that I never though killing these great beasts for trophy was a good or noble act. I have always felt that trophy hunting was unseemly, perhaps immoral.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Aren't Rhinos protected?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Aren't Rhinos protected?
      Yes, but I think you can still hunt an allotted amount every year.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I tend to agree about trophy hunting. With the exception of 1> Making a trophy but eating the animal too (deer) or 2> for population control, like if there are so many lions that they are endangering zebras or some other species.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Now here is my take on this. Hunting is not necessarily a bad thing, I hunted for sport for a number of years, but always ate my kills (I was mostly a bird hunter). And I don't think one should be banned from Facebook for posting such kills (more liberal overreaction). Having said that I never though killing these great beasts for trophy was a good or noble act. I have always felt that trophy hunting was unseemly, perhaps immoral.

I dislike hunting - got shot at by entirely too many 'hunters' when I was a girl. But as long as you eat it, I have no moral objection to it. Trophy hunting is obnoxious - but as long as it's legal and not forbidden by Scripture, she has the right to do it.

I have no issue with people giving her a hard time for killing things she won't eat but she should not have to take down the pics.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I am with the majority here. I have never understood trophy hunting. But eating what you kill is the natural order of things. So yes, bunnies are safe around me.
            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

This is reasonable. I wouldn't consider killing a beast with a gun that noble or honorable, unless it was done with the hunter's bare hands. However, I wouldn't necessarily consider it immoral based how brutal raw nature is to itself, but I get your point. The problem is that the extremists on the left are not at all reasonable.

Comment

I'm an AVID hunter. I spend a good deal of time during hunting season afield. I mostly hunt deer, wild turkey and wild hogs. (which I always eat! :yum: ) (Also, wild hogs can be hunted year round, so we do) I also will shoot any coyotes or bobcats I see because I hunt on a working cattle ranch (not mine) and hogs, coyotes and bobcats are a danger to the calves...and also very hard on the wild turkey population.

I don't have the time or money to be a trophy hunter, but I don't have a big problem with it as long as they are taken legally and there's a good cause for it...(i.e. as someone said there are too many lions or leopards and they need the numbers reduced to maintain a healthy balance.)

I too do not see the problem with leaving them up. People will post negative, that's a given, but hey...
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  I dislike hunting - got shot at by entirely too many 'hunters' when I was a girl. But as long as you eat it, I have no moral objection to it. Trophy hunting is obnoxious - but as long as it's legal and not forbidden by Scripture, she has the right to do it.

I have no issue with people giving her a hard time for killing things she won't eat but she should not have to take down the pics.
                  You could eat the meat, 'and' make a trophy out of it, you know.
                  Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

I was really put off by the way she was posing with the dead lion and leopard --- and I, too, don't like killing animals except for food.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                      You could eat the meat, 'and' make a trophy out of it, you know.

Trophy hunting is about the trophy, not the meat. And seriously, you think she ate the big cats?
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Trophy hunting is about the trophy, not the meat. And seriously, you think she ate the big cats?
                        Keeping population down is just as valid as eating. And that's why they usually give permission to hunt animals like lions.
                        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          Keeping population down is just as valid as eating. And that's why they usually give permission to hunt animals like lions.
                          except it is mostly the female lions that do the hunting. Killing a male lion is mostly about ego.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                            I'm an AVID hunter. I spend a good deal of time during hunting season afield. I mostly hunt deer, wild turkey and wild hogs. (which I always eat! :yum: ) (Also, wild hogs can be hunted year round, so we do) I also will shoot any coyotes or bobcats I see because I hunt on a working cattle ranch (not mine) and hogs, coyotes and bobcats are a danger to the calves...and also very hard on the wild turkey population.

I don't have the time or money to be a trophy hunter, but I don't have a big problem with it as long as they are taken legally and there's a good cause for it...(i.e. as someone said there are too many lions or leopards and they need the numbers reduced to maintain a healthy balance.)

I too do not see the problem with leaving them up. People will post negative, that's a given, but hey...
                            Did that thing ever get passed where you can hunt wild hogs from helicopters?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Since the Bible doesn't say anything directly on the subject, I don't feel comfortable coming right out and saying it is a sin. However, God did give us the commandment to take care of creation so I think it would probably be sinful if you killed an endangered species.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment