Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Voter ID Laws Are Not Racist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    How could it even be racist? It's not like the poll worker wouldn't notice someone's race unless they had a photo id.

"oh no! Mr. Smith. I didn't notice until I saw your photo ID that you are black. We can't allow you to vote!"

Every state I have lived in as an adult checks IDs at poll stations to verify you are who you are supposed to be, and live where you are registered to vote. And you have to sign a poll book that they compare with your signature on your ID to make sure it matches. It has nothing to do with race. It just prevents voter fraud.

Or is Obama claiming that only minorities engage in voter fraud and so checking their ID to stop them would be discrimination?
    The librul argument is that blacks and latinos have the attention span of a gnat and if you make them go through too many hoops they won't bother to show up.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    How could it even be racist? It's not like the poll worker wouldn't notice someone's race unless they had a photo id.

"oh no! Mr. Smith. I didn't notice until I saw your photo ID that you are black. We can't allow you to vote!"

Every state I have lived in as an adult checks IDs at poll stations to verify you are who you are supposed to be, and live where you are registered to vote. And you have to sign a poll book that they compare with your signature on your ID to make sure it matches. It has nothing to do with race. It just prevents voter fraud.

Or is Obama claiming that only minorities engage in voter fraud and so checking their ID to stop them would be discrimination?

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Originally posted by square_peg View Post

To seer: As I explicitly told Zymologist, I don't believe they were intended to be racist. I was primarily just pointing out a flaw in your reasoning. So no, I don't have to show anything. That said, however, I do wonder if you know why other people think those laws are racist. Do you understand where they're coming from, at least?
    Flaw in what reasoning? The "Voter ID Laws Are Not Racist..." was a play on the title in the link. I never thought they were racist or intended to be racist. So what is your problem?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Ah, here comes Sparko to once again attack a position that I don't even hold. I'd think that would get exhausting after a while, but apparently not.
    Yeah you seem to routinely argue positions you don't even hold.
    Last edited by Sparko; 07-02-2014, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fm93
    replied
    Ah, here comes Sparko to once again attack a position that I don't even hold. I'd think that would get exhausting after a while, but apparently not.

To seer: As I explicitly told Zymologist, I don't believe they were intended to be racist. I was primarily just pointing out a flaw in your reasoning. So no, I don't have to show anything. That said, however, I do wonder if you know why other people think those laws are racist. Do you understand where they're coming from, at least?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Suppose that an evil doctor tried to kill you by giving you what's ordinarily a deadly disease. If you happen to be immune to the virus and end up unharmed, your survival doesn't magically erase the fact that the doctor had malicious intent. Likewise, that study doesn't prove that there wasn't racist intent behind the laws. It just shows that they apparently didn't work.
    wow you just look for stuff to argue about, don't you?

Just because there is no evidence that Elvis was behind 911 doesn't mean that he wasn't!

Yeah, good strategy there Square_peg. Argue that something could be true because there is no evidence that it is.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Suppose that an evil doctor tried to kill you by giving you what's ordinarily a deadly disease. If you happen to be immune to the virus and end up unharmed, your survival doesn't magically erase the fact that the doctor had malicious intent. Likewise, that study doesn't prove that there wasn't racist intent behind the laws. It just shows that they apparently didn't work.
    If you think there was a racist intent then it is up to you to show that. If not, I see no reason to assume that there was. Why should I?

Leave a comment:

• fm93
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    What are you taking exception with? It was the liberals claiming that Voter ID laws were racist. Or that there was a racial intent. The fact is there is no evidence of that.
    Last edited by fm93; 07-02-2014, 02:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    That's apparently true as far as the argument itself goes, but it's a far cry from "Therefore, there couldn't have been any racist intent behind the plan."

I personally don't think they were intended to be, but at the same time, I do think it's possible that some people may support such laws for racially influenced reasons. Either way, I was mostly challenging seer's questionable logic, not making a definitive statement.
    What are you taking exception with? It was the liberals claiming that Voter ID laws were racist. Or that there was a racial intent. The fact is there is no evidence of that.

Leave a comment:

• fm93
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I think the argument would be more like, "it didn't actually restrict voting in the way its detractors claimed it would."
    That's apparently true as far as the argument itself goes, but it's a far cry from "Therefore, there couldn't have been any racist intent behind the plan."

Out of curiosity, do you think that voter ID laws are racist?
    I personally don't think they were intended to be, but at the same time, I do think it's possible that some people may support such laws for racially influenced reasons. Either way, I was mostly challenging seer's questionable logic, not making a definitive statement.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    So...because it didn't work, it wasn't racist?
    I think the argument would be more like, "it didn't actually restrict voting in the way its detractors claimed it would."

Out of curiosity, do you think that voter ID laws are racist?

Leave a comment:

• fm93
    replied
    So...because it didn't work, it wasn't racist?

Leave a comment:

• seer
    started a topic Voter ID Laws Are Not Racist...

Voter ID Laws Are Not Racist...

No kidding!

If there was a hidden agenda behind North Carolina’s voter ID law to suppress minority turnout – as the law’s opponents claim – it hasn’t worked, based on a study showing not only more voters overall, but an increase in black voter turnout especially, after the law’s implementation.
    Study on North Carolina Voter ID Law Shows Increase in Minority Turnout.

The findings came before a scheduled hearing next week where the U.S. Justice Department will ask a U.S. District Court for an injunction against the law going into the November midterms. The Obama administration has argued that such a law will make it more difficult for minorities to vote.

Comparing May 4, 2010 North Carolina primary election data with the May 14, 2014 primary data, the study found that voter turnout increased across the board, but particularly among black voters, where it increased by 29.5 percent, compared to an increase of white voter turnout of 13.7 percent. The findings were based on Census Bureau data and public names who signed the voter rolls.
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...of-this-study/