Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Militarization of our Police Departments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Militarization of our Police Departments.

I'm Pro-Police, having been a police officer in my younger days, and currently serving as a Police Chaplain. I do my share of "street stuff" with the Police Department these days, and am aware that criminals are getting better and more powerful weapons. I'm a little concerned, however, that even the police department with which I am connected has recently taken possession of some of the war surplus equipment that is being pushed "free" to local law enforcement groups.

armor.jpg

Our department has obtained one of these armored personnel carriers, which require a CDL to drive, and are quite expensive to maintain and to fuel.

The tag line in the article from which this picture comes says "Hypermilitarized police departments are more dangerous than whatever they fight."

Comments? (Note the 2 year old child in the article who was severely injured by a flash bang in one of the raids)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

There's also been some discussion about this here: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...strial-complex
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      There's also been some discussion about this here: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...strial-complex
      Didn't see that, KG -- thanks!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I can think of a few good reasons why the local police might want to militarize:

For example, in Brooks Co., Texas, which is 75 miles north of the Mexican border, county judge Raul M. Ramirez told Infowars that autopsies of dead illegal aliens are rapidly draining his county’s resources which were already meager after the oil & gas industry left town.

“It was the loss of oil & gas revenue, compounded with the amount that we spend dealing with autopsies, wear and tear of [county] vehicles, the sheriff’s department, the JPs [Justices of the Peace], the magistrates, death certificates, all the paperwork that’s entailed and getting out to areas that are very, very remote,” he said. “I personally have been taken to pronounce a body [of an illegal immigrant dead] when the sheriff’s officer said ‘oh, there went the transmission’ and we had to call a wrecker to come get us.”

“Thank God for the Border Patrol; they were able to take us to where the immigrant was.”

But that was about the only federal help Brooks Co. has received, even though the Obama administration has admitted that it is responsible for this mass influx of illegals, which has hit over 90,000 since last October and will more than double by this October.

“All [the costs] occurs on the county,” Ramirez stated, adding that his county has received no financial assistance from the federal government. “All these expenses we don’t budget for and the losses we have to pay for.”

Only the State of Texas has stepped in and offered the county $150,000 to help defray the costs, and as we reported on Tuesday, Texas state troopers are also heavily patrolling border highways which are practically absent of Border Patrol activity.

One state trooper told Infowars that the border is now an explosive hotspot of violent crime, which is now rapidly spreading miles inland.

“I just got a report from a couple of days ago from a local rancher that they [illegal immigrants] broke into his ranch and we are getting more and more reports of either [Border Patrol] agents who are being accosted or deputies who are fighting resistance from these individuals,” Ramirez added.
        Sadly, too many police officers are also fat and overburdened with departmental loyalties, governmental confusion, and careerist ambitions. To use those weapons and vehicles properly, I humbly suggest deputizing a few actual soldiers.

Comment

With the chaos in the USA purposely caused is this just an excuse to declare the whole country under Martial Law?

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
            I humbly suggest
            I get it. Funny joke.
            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Few scenarios for police militarization:

- US rapidly becoming a fascist dictatorship/police state, thus instead of sending in military troops to finalize this reality, which would alarm citizens (this is supposedly still illegal), train local police with militarization tactics (hence the reason they’ve gotten more aggressive and brutal) and arm them thusly.

- Preparations for either outright gun confiscation or the implementation of radical federal anti-gun laws via executive order and the civil disobedience from gun owners that will follow.

- Economic collapse and the civil unrest that will ensue, as per:

a) runaway inflation due to massive money printing and dollars flooding back into the US as a result of foreign investor US bond flight.

b) economic crisis 2.0 as a result of derivative market implosion, followed by bank seizure of deposits and bail-ins (a la Cyprus and MF Global) that will be the solution this time to save the banks.

- All the above.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                Few scenarios for police militarization:

- US rapidly becoming a fascist dictatorship/police state, thus instead of sending in military troops to finalize this reality, which would alarm citizens (this is supposedly still illegal), train local police with militarization tactics (hence the reason they’ve gotten more aggressive and brutal) and arm them thusly.

- Preparations for either outright gun confiscation or the implementation of radical federal anti-gun laws via executive order and the civil disobedience from gun owners that will follow.

- Economic collapse and the civil unrest that will ensue, as per:

a) runaway inflation due to massive money printing and dollars flooding back into the US as a result of foreign investor US bond flight.

b) economic crisis 2.0 as a result of derivative market implosion, followed by bank seizure of deposits and bail-ins (a la Cyprus and MF Global) that will be the solution this time to save the banks.

- All the above.
                What about politicians wanting to appear tough on crime and help their war profiteer friends looking to kill two birds with one stone? What about paranoid, corrupt, incompetent and/or power-tripping police departments finding it too easy to otherize the citizenry? I don't see a need to theorize conspiracies if baser needs suffice.

Comment

Under good leadership, a highly trained, and well-armed, police force, could make life better for all citizens. Under Obama though....not so much.
                  Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                    Under good leadership, a highly trained, and well-armed, police force, could make life better for all citizens. Under Obama though....not so much.
                    Name one prominent public figure you'd trust with that sort of power.
                    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

John Bolton?

Comment

Oh, that's easy.

...uh, nevermind.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

But he's still dead.

I wonder how many recognize who that is in Darth's picture even with the clue I provided

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Right now? No one.
                              Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment