Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Militarization of our Police Departments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    Name one prominent public figure you'd trust with that sort of power.
    Pope Francis.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Pope Francis.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Francisco Franco.

Comment

Lol.....I get KG's joke now.

Comment

Name one prominent public figure you'd trust with that sort of power.
            http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...OGo3l-IdztLuvg

Julian Assange perhaps?
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              Ya can't pick someone who would de-militarize the police force before ever using it. That defeats the purpose of the exercise
              Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
                Lol.....I get KG's joke now.
                I don't get it.
                Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Ya can't pick someone who would de-militarize the police force before ever using it. That defeats the purpose of the exercise
                  I don't see why police officers can't have armored trucks and automatic weapons. Don't gangs and mafias already have all that stuff?
                  Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Interesting cnn report for a change...

Two takeaways that stood out for me in the report...

a) Police departments across the country are getting this hardware in spite of violent crime statistics that are dropping.
                    b) The military equipment and tactics are being utilized for low level crime incidents.

The last point can easily be seen as police departments having a hammer and seeing everything as a nail, but the first point doesn't have a ready explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                      I don't get it.
                      It wasn't a joke
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The point being I don't think he would use the power.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          The last point can easily be seen as police departments having a hammer and seeing everything as a nail, but the first point doesn't have a ready explanation.
                          Preparation.

Also, violent crimes are dropping because everything that looks like a criminal is being stuffed into prison. It's not like there's fewer criminals, there's just fewer of them in the general population.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            It wasn't a joke
                            Sooooo, I got a nonexistent joke.

I thought you were making a pun between Francisco and Francis.

Comment

As long as we can keep our assault rifles to fight back against them, if that's what it comes to, I have no problem with it.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                                I don't see why police officers can't have armored trucks and automatic weapons. Don't gangs and mafias already have all that stuff?
                                Gangs/mafias usually exist only because of laws against victimless "crimes" (e.g., banning alcohol, banning gambling). So that would be a case of the vicious cycle of giving the government more powers, in order to try to correct for the negative consequences of their existing use of powers.

A big thing that bugs me about all this: It's one thing to go aggressively after murderers and other violent criminals. But it seems like all these sad cases I hear about have to do with using excessive (and even lethal) force against people on, say, suspicion of possession of some small amount of some substance the government doesn't want you to possess. I don't think that should be illegal at all, and even if people insist on it being illegal, I should think it would warrant a response no severer than would, say, jay-walking. Certainly not a SWAT-style raid.

I've come across people saying that the tragic cases we hear about are just due to police making "mistakes". But when the "mistakes" are things like "oops, we shot your grandma", "sorry we shot your dog", "oops, we threw the flashbang into the baby's crib," and "oops it turns out you don't possess any banned substance after all", then it seems that force itself is disproportional. I mean, it's not just a "mistake" to throw the flashbang to the most injurious location if you shouldn't be kicking down the door and throwing flashbangs in the first place.

Instead (assuming we insist on a ban at all) surely the police should have instead done something like: Knock on the door during decent daylight hours. "Hello, Mr. A---, sorry to disturb you, but here is our probable cause to believe your son is in possession of a small amount of pot. We have a warrant to search for it." After a peaceful search (without destroying property or killing their dog or grandma or throwing people to the ground and threatening to shoot them dead, etc) they either find nothing and apologize and go on their way, or find some pot and write a ticket for a small fine, and go on their way.

I recently came across an article saying that the mere fact of being a gun owner (known via state gun registries) is now being used as justification for a SWAT raid instead of my suggested alternative.

Comment