Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bestiality: Can an animal "consent"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Of course one can protect against diseases, as we do with human to human sex. And why would sex with an animal be inhumane? Even Dr. Peter Singer, an animal rights advocate, suggested that human to animal sex sex is not necessarily harmful to the animal if done correctly. The only reason I can see for preventing such action is based on the Law of God.

http://www.utilitarianism.net/singer/by/2001----.htm
    Which has nothing to do with what I said - you and DE are assuming I'm advocating when in fact I'm merely reporting. The legal basis isn't consent - period.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Which has nothing to do with what I said - you and DE are assuming I'm advocating when in fact I'm merely reporting. The legal basis isn't consent - period.
      Ok, and I'm not assuming that you are advocating. But the legal reasoning makes no sense.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Of course one can protect against diseases, as we do with human to human sex. And why would sex with an animal be inhumane? Even Dr. Peter Singer, an animal rights advocate, suggested that human to animal sex sex is not necessarily harmful to the animal if done correctly. The only reason I can see for preventing such action is based on the Law of God.

http://www.utilitarianism.net/singer/by/2001----.htm
        Why do you think bestiality is nearly universally reviled?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
          "Because it's gross" sounds like an awfully facile answer, but...
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            It's considered a crime against nature and there are public health (potential zoonotic diseases) and animal welfare concerns. The animal can't consent - but while an animal can be humanely destroyed it may not be inhumanely treated.
            Wasn't that the argument back in the day against interracial sexual relations. Against nature and public health concerns. Leaving out the animal parts though, even if some ethnic groups were considered to be like the animals or even less than animals.

In our enlightened society animals have been raised to an equal status with humans by many. The legal apparatus are already in motion and it is only a matter of time.

Comment

Why do you think homosexuality is nearly universally reviled?
              Welcome to the Republican Party.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                In our enlightened society animals have been raised to an equal status with humans by many. The legal apparatus are already in motion and it is only a matter of time.
                Yeah, our society has approved all sorts of sinful behavior. What is one further step into the sewer. Let it be known that if someone has a pet they like to have sex with, keep it private and I won't object to it. I still find it disgusting, but if I don't know . . .
                Last edited by Jedidiah; 06-28-2014, 12:55 AM.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Because we are unenlightened and practice speciesism?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Bestophobes are no different from the anti-miscegenation goblins. They're on the wrong side of history and one day their backwards views will be seen as no different from the days of Jim Crow.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
                      First off, it sickens me to even have to write about something like this but with the mind-set of anything goes and don't discriminate about anything in the USA here goes...

What is the justification for outlawing bestiality? What if the animal "consents"? True it can not be verbalized but what if the animal doesn't seem to mind and the person doing so claims their "right" to engage in such an (abominable) activity?
                      It's pretty dumb to say you're sickened by "having to write about this" when you most certainly didn't.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        The elephant in the room is that they can't consent to being killed for meat, either.
                        It seems the bigger elephant would be those that reject the consent argument as valid. Still, I think it obvious that survival trumps consent.
                        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                          It's pretty dumb to say you're sickened by "having to write about this" when you most certainly didn't.
                          I did have to write about this because it may be the next step or within the next few steps down the line.

Comment

Because we are unenlightened and practice speciesism?
                            I asked you because if the reason that bestiality should not be practiced is because of the Bible, then that doesn't explain its universal ire. There must be a universal, secular reason, and I want to know what you honestly think that is.

Comment

Why should universal ire be used to trump those that feel that it is their choice/freedom to engage in this activity - even if it is an extremely small minority?

How can one say, "It's wrong" apart from the Bible?

Comment

I asked you because if the reason that bestiality should not be practiced is because of the Bible, then that doesn't explain its universal ire. There must be a universal, secular reason, and I want to know what you honestly think that is.

Well PM, homosexual behavior was mostly rejected in most cultures for most of history, even in non-biblical cultures. So what does that tell us?

Comment