Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court Limits Presidential Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Court Limits Presidential Power

Originally posted by Fox News
    In a unanimous decision, the high court sided with Senate Republicans and limited the president's power to fill high-level vacancies with temporary appointments. It was the first-ever Supreme Court test involving the long-standing practice of presidents naming appointees when the Senate is on break.

Source

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

He'll probably try to issue an executive order to get around it

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

He's probably still scratching his head... which is a good vacation for his butt.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

OK, so seriously... so what?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          OK, so seriously... so what?
          It'll make presidents try a little harder to find appointees who are less ideologically extreme; they'll end up needing a few votes from across the aisle if they expect to fill positions.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            It'll make presidents try a little harder to find appointees who are less ideologically extreme; they'll end up needing a few votes from across the aisle if they expect to fill positions.
            Or at least wait until the Senate is actually in recess before making recess appointments.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Or at least wait until the Senate is actually in recess before making recess appointments.
              Which, if the Senate is controlled by the other party, will be almost never.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

OK, maybe --- but what's the remedy for what Obama already did? He got away with it, no?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

OK, maybe --- but what's the remedy for what Obama already did? He got away with it, no?
                  You're just a conspiracy theorist.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Not AFAICT. If the people were already installed, then everything they weighed in on will have to be redone.

sigpic

Comment

No - 'unconstitutional' means 'not legal'. Only the ones subsequently confirmed will remain in office - otherwise, they are gone.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

There are no PENALTIES for wrong doing in this administration -- incompetence gets encouraged, even REWARDED, and when SCOTUS slaps his hand, it's after the fact, and he'll find another way to skirt the law. It's Chicago Politics on steroids. And nobody gets fired!

Comment

Not AFAICT. If the people were already installed, then everything they weighed in on will have to be redone.
                          I'll believe that when I see it, OBP -- the Republicans are too incompetent to force that to happen. I have never been this disgusted with the Republicans.

Comment

Um, CP, 'after the fact' is how the Court is designed to work.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              Um, CP, 'after the fact' is how the Court is designed to work.

Comment