Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden: Gay rights take precedence over national cultures, social traditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Biden: Gay rights take precedence over national cultures, social traditions

The Revolution must be exported:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Seeking to mobilize a global front against anti-gay violence and discrimination, Vice President Joe Biden declared Tuesday that protecting gay rights is a defining mark of a civilized nation and must trump national cultures and social traditions.

Biden told a gathering of U.S. and international gay rights advocates that President Barack Obama has directed that U.S. diplomacy and foreign assistance promote the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender men and women around the world

"I don't care what your culture is," Biden told about 100 guests at the Naval Observatory's vice presidential mansion. "Inhumanity is inhumanity is inhumanity. Prejudice is prejudice is prejudice."

With anti-gay laws taking root in nearly 80 countries, Biden and other top White House officials met with religious, human rights and HIV health care advocates in a forum dedicated to promoting gay rights internationally.

Biden, who has emerged as a leading gay rights advocate within the Obama administration ever since he got ahead of Obama in declaring his support for gay marriage, said that across U.S government agencies officials have been instructed to make the promotion of gay rights abroad a priority.

Where countries fail to move toward protections of LGBT people, he warned, "there is a price to pay for being inhumane." Among those at the evening reception were leading gay rights activists and the ambassadors from Britain, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland.

Earlier Tuesday, White House National Security Adviser Susan Rice cast the protection of gays from global discrimination, abuse and even death as one of the most challenging international human rights issue facing the United States. Biden called gay rights "the civil rights issue of our day."

"To achieve lasting global change, we need everyone's shoulder at the wheel," she said. "With more voices to enrich and amplify the message — the message that gay rights are straight-up human rights — we can open more minds."

Rice cautioned that the effort is difficult because laws limiting gay rights in some countries enjoy strong popular support. But she said cultural differences do not excuse human rights violations.

"Governments are responsible for protecting the rights of all citizens, and it is incumbent upon the state, and on each of us, to foster tolerance and to reverse the tide of discrimination," Rice said.

Last week, the U.S. imposed visa bans on Ugandan officials who are involved in corruption and are violating the rights of gay people and others. Uganda passed a law in February that strengthened criminal penalties for gay sex and made life sentences possible for those convicted of breaking the law.

During his trip to Africa last year, Obama, while in Senegal, urged African leaders to extend equal rights to gays and lesbians. Senegal's president, however, pushed back, saying his country "still isn't ready" to decriminalize homosexuality. Seven countries have laws imposing death sentences for gay sex and Brunei is on track to becoming the eighth one.

Tuesday's forum was the latest administrative attempt by Obama to promote gay and lesbian rights both in the United States and abroad. Obama successfully pushed to repeal the ban on gays serving openly in the military and his administration stopped defending the Defense of Marriage Act years before the Supreme Court took it up.

Earlier this month, Obama announced he will sign an executive order banning federal contractors from discriminating against employees based on sexual orientation or gender identity. Last week, it also granted new benefits to same-sex couples, including those who live in states where gay marriage is against the law.
    Welp, guess Fred Phelps was right after all. Good thing I got out of the Army before they got called up to defend the rights of African Edited by a Moderator.

Moderated By: QuantaFille

Enough with the derogatory language.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by QuantaFille; 06-27-2014, 04:07 PM. Reason: Language

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    The Revolution must be exported:

Welp, guess Fred Phelps was right after all. Good thing I got out of the Army before they got called up to defend the rights of African Edited by a Moderator.
    If he had any real guts he would give this speech in Iran...
    Last edited by QuantaFille; 06-27-2014, 04:07 PM. Reason: Quoting edited text
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So, Biden can be prejudiced against other cultures, but that's not prejudice...

That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

"Biden, we're addressing the country, turn off the Gameboy".
        Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          So, Biden can be prejudiced against other cultures, but that's not prejudice...
          What ever happened to cultural diversity?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            That's now code word for "die whitey!"
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Nobody wanted it in the first place?
              Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                Nobody wanted it in the first place?
                Acceptance of other cultures doesn't trump basic human rights?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  Who is talking about human rights?
                  That's what
                  - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Why can't a certain country have its own dominant culture? Why does it have to accept other cultures?

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

You will have learned equality when you elect a black gay atheist Hispanic POTUS beginning his/her second same sex marriage.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        You will have learned equality when you elect a black gay atheist Hispanic POTUS beginning his/her second same sex marriage.
                        You forgot to add in "transsexual, Jewish Muslim Atheist"

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          Who is talking about human rights?
                          Joe Biden

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                          Why can't a certain country have its own dominant culture? Why does it have to accept other cultures?
                          You're assuming a position I don't have.

Comment

Joe Biden

You're assuming a position I don't have.
                            Oh dear, I forgot you were a Communist. Well, in that case:

Depraved homosexuals are the elitist running dogs of the current capitalist and governmental class, PM. They enforce conformity through the constant bullying of anyone who exhibits human judgment or revulsion against deviant sexual behavior, after which justifying deviant financial or governmental behavior is child's play. Surely you must have seen this, or perhaps, been made to avoid seeing it. Don't worry, I can help.

Minorities are simply pawns the rich oligarchical minority use against the poor in the larger game. As the Jews were used by the Russians to head the starvation of Ukranians in the Holodomor, as the blacks were used by the elite whites to drive the middle class and working poor out of the cities in America, so the homosexuals, who have no connection to the past but a gnawing desire to enslave themselves to whatever the latest intellectual or business fashion is, are used against the normal:

Originally posted by Akinokure
                            It's striking how little nostalgia queers feel, and how minimal their participation is in the whole "vintage" phenomenon. I've mentioned before that the most ******-free event you can rely on is '80s night -- "omigosh seriously? the '80s were like so however-many years ago!" It's like connecting with the past, however briefly, causes them physical pain. They don't use slang from when they were growing up, ironically or not, nor make pop culture references to things more than five years old (except to disparage them for being so old). They failed to fit in with their peers all those years ago, and now they've moved on to trying and failing to fit in with what's cool right now.
                            Almost as though they were pawns in the...class struggle is what I think you call it? The only real question is, which set of rich people you wanted to get in good with caused you to completely lose your recognition of these basic facts and join their side?

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                              Oh dear, I forgot you were a Communist. Well, in that case:

Depraved homosexuals are the elitist running dogs of the current capitalist and governmental class, PM. They enforce conformity through the constant bullying of anyone who exhibits human judgment or revulsion against deviant sexual behavior, after which justifying deviant financial or governmental behavior is child's play. Surely you must have seen this, or perhaps, been made to avoid seeing it. Don't worry, I can help.

Minorities are simply pawns the rich oligarchical minority use against the poor in the larger game. As the Jews were used by the Russians to head the starvation of Ukranians in the Holodomor, as the blacks were used by the elite whites to drive the middle class and working poor out of the cities in America, so the homosexuals, who have no connection to the past but a gnawing desire to enslave themselves to whatever the latest intellectual or business fashion is, are used against the normal:

Almost as though they were pawns in the...class struggle is what I think you call it? The only real question is, which set of rich people you wanted to get in good with caused you to completely lose your recognition of these basic facts and join their side?
                              Epoetker, I am not a communist. Homosexuals are not depraved or part of the elite. They are bullied. Homosexuals have just as much a connection to the past as anyone else.
                              Last edited by Psychic Missile; 06-28-2014, 05:52 PM.

Comment