Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sudanese Woman Freed: High Court Throws Out Apostasy Charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You were being sarcastic?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

She and her husband were re-arrested leaving the country:

Originally posted by Fox News
      Sudanese authorities have re-arrested a young mother a day after she was freed from death row where she'd been sent for refusing to renounce her Christian faith, according to a report.
      Meriam Ibrahim, who gave birth in a Khartoum prison after being sentenced to death in May for allegedly converting from Islam to Christianity, was arrested with her husband at Khartoum airport as she tried to leave the country, Sky News reports.
      A source told Sky News that Ibrahim and Daniel Wani were taken to a facility used by Sudan’s National Intelligence and Security Service.
      http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06...rom-death-row/
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
        Well, look at the bright side. At least they aren't raping children anymore, like the Ottoman Empire did.

.....it's not much, but it's something.
        I wouldn't be so sure about that. Child "brides" are still the example set by Mohammed, and it still happens from what I understand.

Comment

Update:

Originally posted by One News Now
          Lawyer Eman Abdul-Rahim told The Associated Press that the 27-year-old Meriam Ibrahim was held along with two children and her husband at the international airport in Khartoum, the country's capital. Abdul-Rahim did not elaborate and security officials did not respond to requests for comment.
          U.S. State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf told reporters in Washington that the Sudanese government had informed American officials at the embassy in Khartoum that Ibrahim and her family were "temporarily detained" over issues relating their travel documents.
          Harf said the Sudanese have assured the U.S. that the family is not under arrest and that they are safe. She said U.S. officials are continuing to work on getting them out of the country.
          - See more at: http://onenewsnow.com/ap/world/meria...n#.U6nGX5RdUUc
          http://onenewsnow.com/ap/world/meria...n#.U6nGX5RdUUc

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            I wouldn't be so sure about that. Child "brides" are still the example set by Mohammed, and it still happens from what I understand.
            Well, at least they aren't kidnapping pre-pubescent children and selling them into sex slavery, like the Ottomans.
            Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                It's rampant in Yemen.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

They are not going to let this woman escape the country.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/25/world/africa/sudan-christian-woman/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

A Sudanese Christian woman who was sentenced to die for refusing to renounce her faith -- and then released -- has been charged on two criminal counts after trying to leave the African country for the United States, her legal team said Wednesday.

Meriam Yehya Ibrahim, who was detained with her American husband, Daniel Wani, and their two children at an airport in Khartoum on Tuesday, is accused of traveling with falsified documents and giving false information, according to her legal team.

The family is currently being held in a Khartoum police station and has been refused bail.

Ibrahim's legal team told CNN that Daniel Wani is being held as an accessory.

The family was stopped at the airport after what Ibrahim's lawyers described Tuesday as an alleged "irregularity with her documentation."

© Copyright Original Source

That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    It's rampant in Yemen.
                    IIRC (my files were lost in my latest computer crash) the Ayatollah Khomeini spoke in favor of marriages (and the consummation of these marriages) of girls as young as nine saying basically that if it was good enough for Mohammed...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      IIRC (my files were lost in my latest computer crash) the Ayatollah Khomeini spoke in favor of marriages (and the consummation of these marriages) of girls as young as nine saying basically that if it was good enough for Mohammed...
                      Wait....nine, as in, the age of betrothal, or nine, as in, the actual marriage?
                      Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                        Wait....nine, as in, the age of betrothal, or nine, as in, the actual marriage?
                        As in the actual marriage.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          As in the actual marriage.
                          He married Aisha when she was six but waited until she was nine before consummating it (Muhammad was 53 at the time). IIRC the primary reason for the delay was that she fell ill causing her hair to fall out.

As for Khomeini, he wrote that marrying a girl before she began menstruating was "a divine blessing" and advised fathers to "do your best to ensure that your daughters do not see their first blood in your house." In fact one of Khomeini's first acts after taking power in Iran after the Shah fled was to lower the age that a girl can be married to nine.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            He married Aisha when she was six but waited until she was nine before consummating it (Muhammad was 53 at the time). IIRC the primary reason for the delay was that she fell ill causing her hair to fall out.

As for Khomeini, he wrote that marrying a girl before she began menstruating was "a divine blessing" and advised fathers to "do your best to ensure that your daughters do not see their first blood in your house." In fact one of Khomeini's first acts after taking power in Iran after the Shah fled was to lower the age that a girl can be married to nine.
                            It's a sign that something's wrong when Europe's "betrothal" age is higher than your "marriage" age.
                            Last edited by TimelessTheist; 06-25-2014, 10:59 PM.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by Fox News
                              The Sudanese Christian woman who was detained by police a day after her death sentence was lifted has been freed again, The Associated Press reported.
                              Citing Meriam Ibrahim's attorney, Eman Abdul-Rahman, the news agency said the 27-year-old woman, who gave birth in prison before a Sudanese tribunal overruled a lower court and freed her, had been released. She was detained at the airport in Khartoum Tuesday after Sudanese officials accused her of using falsified travel documents in a bid to go to South Sudan.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06...y-freed-again/

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                She and her husband were re-arrested leaving the country:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06...rom-death-row/
                                Looks like she has been re-released

Source: Meriam Ibrahim freed again after rearrest at Sudan airport

Meriam Ibrahim, the Christian woman detained when she tried to travel to the United States after her release from death row in Sudan, was freed again on Thursday and took refuge at the US embassy in Khartoum, her lawyer said. on Thursday

"She is in the US embassy now," Mohanad Mustafa said of Ibrahim. "She and her husband think this is a safe place for them" after receiving death threats.

Ibrahim, 27, had been detained with her husband and two young children at Khartoum airport on Tuesday – over allegations she had forged travel documents – as the family tried to leave the country for the US. But she was discharged from a police station, on the condition she remains in Sudan, after the government came under pressure from foreign diplomats.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Comment