Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Woman worth 100 million not "truly well off"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman worth 100 million not "truly well off"

http://www.businessinsider.com/hilla...ell-off-2014-6

Hillary Clinton's multimillion dollar fortune has caused some negative headlines during the media tour for the release of her new book "Hard Choices," which is widely seen as a prelude to a potential 2016 presidential campaign. Clinton responded to criticism of her wealth in an interview with the Guardian newspaper published Saturday night by suggesting Americans won't be concerned about the more than $100 million her family has reportedly earned in recent years because they're not "truly well off."

"They don't see me as part of the problem," Clinton said of Americans who are upset about income inequality, adding, "Because we pay ordinary income tax, unlike a lot of people who are truly well off, not to name names; and we've done it through dint of hard work."

Earlier this month, Clinton caused controversy when she said she and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, were "dead broke" when he left the White House in 2000 and subsequently "struggled" to buy homes and pay for their daughter, Chelsea's, education. Chelsea Clinton's wealth also made headlines earlier this month after Politico reported she earned a $600,000 salary as a "special correspondent" for NBC News, a sum Business Insider noted seems to amount to $26,724 for each minute she was on air.
    Looks like she didn't learn much from the Tuzla Dash.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Sounds like what she really needs is a loving husband.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
      Sounds like what she really needs is a loving husband.
      I get the feeling it's more likely that Bill was the one who needed a loving wife.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Earlier this month, Clinton caused controversy when she said she and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, were "dead broke" when he left the White House in 2000 and subsequently "struggled" to buy homes and pay for their daughter, Chelsea's, education. Chelsea Clinton's wealth also made headlines earlier this month after Politico reported she earned a $600,000 salary as a "special correspondent" for NBC News, a sum Business Insider noted seems to amount to $26,724 for each minute she was on air.
        For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

"That must be hard."

-Most Americans

It never ceases to amaze me how disconnected rich politicians are from reality.
        "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
        -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Just waiting for her to play the income disparity card.

Oh wait

Source: Hillary Clinton says she’s unlike the ‘truly well off’

Hillary Rodham Clinton defended scrutiny on her and her husband’s personal wealth by contrasting herself in an interview published Sunday with other multimillionaires who are “truly well off.”

The comment immediately drew scorn from Republicans, who have highlighted a series of stumbles the former secretary of state and potential 2016 Democratic presidential candidate has made on her book tour this month when talking about her personal fortune and six-figure speaking fees.

In an interview with Britain's Guardian newspaper, Clinton was asked whether she could be a credible champion for fighting income inequality in the United States despite her wealth.

“But they don’t see me as part of the problem,” she told the paper, “because we pay ordinary income tax, unlike a lot of people who are truly well off, not to name names; and we’ve done it through dint of hard work.” The Guardian wrote that Clinton let off “another burst of laughter” in answering the question, suggesting that she found the question “painful.”

Clinton and her husband, former president Bill Clinton, have earned well over $100 million giving paid speeches and writing books since leaving the White House in 2001.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Yup. Talking for an hour and having folks writing books in your name is "hard work."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Is she necessarily not including herself in the "truly well off" in that sentence? Its hard to tell, because you can interpret the phrasing in various ways. At first blush it read to me like she was saying something along the lines of, "Among those who are truly well off (like ourselves), at least we pay our taxes (not naming those who don't), and we got where we're at through lots of hard work." I can see how it could be read the other way too, though.

Comment

Ouch, that's actually worse than NZ Labour's leader, David Cunliffe describing his NZ$2.5m Herne Bay house as a "fixer upper"

(Context: Cunliffe was criticising NZ's Prime Minister, John Key of the National party, for living in a nice area in an expensive house when people rightly pointed out that he lives in such a lovely glass house and shouldn't be throwing stones....up until that point people really didn't care where Cunliffe lived)
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                I get the feeling it's more likely that Bill was the one who needed a loving wife.
                It would probably help if they both weren't so stupid.
                Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
                  It would probably help if they both weren't so stupid.
                  Neither one of them is stupid. Bill is quite charismatic as well (Hillary less so, but she's also managed to attract a large contingent of highly devoted fans).
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Neither one of them is stupid. Bill is quite charismatic as well (Hillary less so, but she's also managed to attract a large contingent of highly devoted fans).
                    Yeah....Bill's a little 'too' charismatic if you ask me.
                    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Yeah....Bill's a little 'too' charismatic if you ask me.
                      Jealous?
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Jealous?
                        Jealous that he cheated on his wife, and then lied about it to all of America?

-Thomas Aquinas

-Hernando Cortez

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
                          Is she necessarily not including herself in the "truly well off" in that sentence? Its hard to tell, because you can interpret the phrasing in various ways. At first blush it read to me like she was saying something along the lines of, "Among those who are truly well off (like ourselves), at least we pay our taxes (not naming those who don't), and we got where we're at through lots of hard work." I can see how it could be read the other way too, though.
                          I think you've got the right of it on all counts.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Agreed. Having seen a few of Bill's appearances in the last couple of election cycles, I think he's got more of a head on his shoulders than a majority of 'leaders' on either side. He's at least smart enough to figure out what will or won't work.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Jealous that he cheated on his wife, and then lied about it to all of America?
                              Obviously, no. But yeah, you're jealous. Or did you have some rational reason for deliberately misinterpreting me?

sigpic

Comment