Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Got Looks, Get Out Of Jail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Looks, Get Out Of Jail?

We may say it's what inside that counts. In reality we're not that enlightened. Take the case of Jeremy who was busted for gun possession and gang activity. You may have seen his face on the news. Someone even started a Facebook page for him. Now his mom is taking advantage of his popularity...

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...620-story.html
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Heartiste was all over this phenomenon way back in 2009:

Being on death row obviously trumps everything else you could ever imagine would attract women. What we call game is nothing compared to this.

Even where there is no death penalty, killers are on the top of the food chain. There is a trial here now against a man for killing three people, including a pregnant woman. He got a female guard to enter a personal ad for him, resulting in 84 replies. 16 were already married and 30 sent nude pictures of themselves.
      And now they get to add photos to the rap sheet too

Phenomena like this is yet another strong reason I believe in execution over incarceration, every time, without exceptions. Also, women shouldn't serve on juries.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post

And now they get to add photos to the rap sheet too

Phenomena like this is yet another strong reason I believe in execution over incarceration, every time, without exceptions. Also, women shouldn't serve on juries.

More of Epo's sexist logic in action. Let me break it down:

1. A man does a very bad/stupid thing.
        2. Some women fawn over him for it.
        3. Therefore, all women can't be trusted to make rational judgments.

Let me show just how stupid this logic really is:

1. A man does a very stupid/bad thing.
        2. Some men look up to him as being a macho guy.
        3. Therefore all men can't be trusted to make rational judgments.

Looks like Epo should leave the logic to those who know how to do it. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And it was determined that these weren't just pranksters was shown how?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            And it was determined that these weren't just pranksters was shown how?
            Gee, I don't know, how would we determine that excessive likes for beautiful women's Facebook pages are actual desire and not just pranks by men, who we all know are truly attracted to a woman's inner beauty?

Rhetorical question, I know, but the answer is: "A pattern of behavior happening at regular intervals, in fact so much so that new dating websites spring up to fill the demands not four years later." (In Canada!)

And it happens with the wives of the wardens, too:

Originally posted by Heartiste
            As any person involved in the legal system will tell you, the stereotype of women loving inmates is so common that hardly anyone notices anymore. Well, this blog will make sure the noticing never stops.
            If you want some actual statistical numbers behind this tendency, read it and weep.

Comment

I am kind of curious what leads some women to correspond with men on death rows. There are some web sites set up to facilitate that sort of thing. (I have no idea if the opposite ever occurs, but the vast majority of death row prisoners are men, so...)
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Gee, I don't know, how would we determine that excessive likes for beautiful women's Facebook pages are actual desire and not just pranks by men, who we all know are truly attracted to a woman's inner beauty?

Rhetorical question, I know, but the answer is: "A pattern of behavior happening at regular intervals, in fact so much so that new dating websites spring up to fill the demands not four years later." (In Canada!)

If you want some actual statistical numbers behind this tendency, read it and weep.
                I know that the phenomenon has occurred because it's been well documented. I remember it was happening with Richard Ramirez. I was referring specifically to the quote about the ad that was placed in the paper, attracting women to send in nude photos and whatnot. That would be too easy for pranksters, especially knowing the dude' in prison and has no way of ever meeting his so-called female admirers. By the way, I don't think this is related to the story in the OP. The story in the OP reflects a much bigger issue; that of how dense and superficial our social media culture is. It's how some of the most vapid memes are easily created and how they thrive.

Comment

Looks like Epo doesn't want to deal with his flawed reasoning so he just ignores it in the hopes it will go away. Please, explain to everybody how you make the leap from some women fawn over men doing stupid/bad things as being proof women can't be trusted to be jury members. Can you please also explain how this logic doesn't work against men too since there's many men that also admire men who do stupid/bad things. Why doesn't that count as proof men can't be trusted to be jury members?

Ignoring it will not make your flawed logic disappear Epo, so please, do answer the above questions. Thanks!
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment