Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should we open trade and travel with Cuba?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we open trade and travel with Cuba?

Sometimes I think if we opened up trade and travel to Cuba, it would overwhelm them with "Westernism", or somehow make their Communism weaker. OR, would it just fuel their Communism with our dollars?

There just seems to be so many ways to get around the restrictions -- I have friends who scuba dive off Cuba, and have to get special permits.

I really don't have an opinion one way or the other.
    Yup
    81.82%
    Nope
    9.09%
    Don't know or Don't care
    9.09%
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I have visited this great country, and there is some primo vacation location -not to mention The CIGARS. Oh, the Cigars.

NORM
    When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

We do with China so why not Cuba?

Comment

The way I see it: We've tried embargoing them for 50 years. It hasn't done jack to end communism there. All it's done is made the people of Cuba suffer.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I tend to think that a flood of US Tourism coming into Cuba would put "Joe Commie" in contact with people and ideology that he might actually like. I know when I go to Haiti for mission work, we have to fly "around Cuba", refueling (an old DC-3) in the Bahamas. I just think it would be harder to maintain "Communist Control" if....
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's time to try a different approach...what the old saying..."keep your friends close and your enemies closer"...?
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
              I have visited this great country, and there is some primo vacation location -not to mention The CIGARS. Oh, the Cigars.

NORM
              You're the reason I started this thread.

Comment

I think trading with them would help to end communism. It worked with Russia.

Comment

So, what's the hold up? Is it the perception that we're "accepting" Communism? Supporting a Communist regime?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    So, what's the hold up? Is it the perception that we're "accepting" Communism? Supporting a Communist regime?
                    I think they are afraid that if they normalize relations then we would have even more refugees trying to get to the USA if they got a taste of our lifestyle over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      I think they are afraid that if they normalize relations then we would have even more refugees trying to get to the USA if they got a taste of our lifestyle over there.
                      Well, heck, all they have to do is get to Mexico, and come across the border and surrender to our Border Patrol agents.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Lots of Cuban-Americans with a grudge against Castro live in a certain swing state. I don't know if anyone's floated a policy balloon about this anything like recently, but last I heard, that's the reason no one with national ambitions will actually step forward on this question.
                        Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                          Lots of Cuban-Americans with a grudge against Castro live in a certain swing state. I don't know if anyone's floated a policy balloon about this anything like recently, but last I heard, that's the reason no one with national ambitions will actually step forward on this question.
                          Yeah, I know this is a hot topic in Florida... or was.

Comment

Can't we just invade Cuba and annex it as "South Florida" or "Key Cuba?"

We already have a marine base there. All we have to do is dump a bunch of iphones on the natives and give them free wi-fi and they would surrender in under a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Can't we just invade Cuba and annex it as "South Florida" or "Key Cuba?"

We already have a marine base there. All we have to do is dump a bunch of iphones on the natives and give them free wi-fi and they would surrender in under a week.
                              Or we could ATTACK Cuba, and LOSE, and Russia would have to pay us foreign aid!

Comment