Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Richard Nixon Has Nothing On These People!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah the odds that the recipient's drives failed at the same convenient time is astronomically small, unless a sledgehammer was involved. oops! I accidentally smashed my hard drive with this hammer. sorry.

And who ever heard of an agency of the US government, like the IRS that didn't keep backups?
    The article says that the IRS made tape backups, but recycled the tapes every six months.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      The article says that the IRS made tape backups, but recycled the tapes every six months.
      Yeah but a lot of times the tapes are offloaded to an offsite storage medium and then returned to be re-used. Plus there was a policy that any important documents and emails had to be printed and filed away.

Comment

Would be an ironic twist if congress had to order the NSA to produce copies of the emails they store in their prism program.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          Would be an ironic twist if congress had to order the NSA to produce copies of the emails they store in their prism program.
          your wish...

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...t-irs-e-mails/

Comment

as if the IRS doesn't make backups of their data and emails. Emails are most likely not even stored on a person's computer but on a an exchange server located somewhere else. SOP.
            If the IRS has an infrastructure like every other Federal Government agency, they do it that way. Exchange servers store the mail in the user's mail store. A copy CAN be stored locally through Cached Exchange Mode, but that is just a synchronized copy of the mail store, which is stored on the Exchange server's RAID. Additional copies can be made through the use of local .pst files, but again, they are only copies of the original stored elsewhere. Information Assurance rules require nightly backups and offsite backup media storage for 10 years. This fiasco is a lie and anyone who works on government exchange systems knows that.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              I have heard a number of professionals in the field ― most of them on Mark Levin's show, but some on Rush's ― say that that is simply not possible.

I just now listened to a caller to Rush's program who is privy to knowledge of the backup systems used by the IRS that automatically back up all data, duplicate all data, and systematically store all data offsite so that it is impossible for any data to ever be lost; all IRS data is backed up on a daily basis in such a way that it is duplicated and stored permanently in more than one location.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                If the IRS has an infrastructure like every other Federal Government agency, they do it that way. Exchange servers store the mail in the user's mail store. A copy CAN be stored locally through Cached Exchange Mode, but that is just a synchronized copy of the mail store, which is stored on the Exchange server's RAID. Additional copies can be made through the use of local .pst files, but again, they are only copies of the original stored elsewhere. Information Assurance rules require nightly backups and offsite backup media storage for 10 years. This fiasco is a lie and anyone who works on government exchange systems knows that.
                But but.. all of the local hard drives crashed and were thrown away, and the Exchange Server RAID was kidnapped by terrorists and all of the backups were accidentally buried with some nuclear waste in Area 51. And, and zombies destroyed the IT department.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  It's my understanding that they are legally required to keep backups. And anyway, emails are not stored on local hard drives (not solely, at least). There are so many things that make this excuse...lame. Really, really lame.

Anyone who knows more about this can feel free to correct me.
                  http://www.irs.gov/irm/part10/index.html

10.8.60.4.4 (10-04-2012)
                  System/Application Backups

1. All FISMA-reportable systems and applications and non-applications (as defined by FISMA) shall be backed up in a restorable format on a regular basis, encrypted, and stored offsite.
                  2. Frequency and type of backups shall be defined in the Operations/Customer SLA and documented in applicable SA&A documents.
                  3. All Mobile Media shall be encrypted; see the Encryption of Mobile Media section in IRM 10.8.1 for additional guidance.
                  4. All backup media shall be stored offsite.
                  5. See the Information Backup section in IRM 10.8.1 for additional guidance.
                  6. Offsite backup storage shall be identified and documented in the ISCP with the name of the location and location site.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

They finally admit they have the emails after all:

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if they edited them to be harmless and are saving this for the mid-terms so they can paint Republicans as partisan hacks engaging in a witch hunt.
                      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        I wouldn't be surprised if they edited them to be harmless and are saving this for the mid-terms so they can paint Republicans as partisan hacks engaging in a witch hunt.
                        Just lying about the emails existence to congress is a crime.

Comment

Just lying about the emails existence to congress is a crime.
                          Good thing Congress won't tolerate stuff like that.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by zymologist View Post
                            good thing congress won't tolerate stuff like that.
                            lol...
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

One day, young padawan, you too will learn to trust only credible sources.

Judicial Watch: Lerner emails aren't missing
                              The administration official said Justice Department lawyers had dropped no bombshells last week, and Judicial Watch was mischaracterizing what the government had said.

The official said DOJ lawyers were only referring to tapes backing up IRS emails that were routinely recycled twice a year before 2013, when the investigation into the Tea Party controversy began.

JW is a plaintiff in this case, and known for ideological excess.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                                One day, young padawan, you too will learn to trust only credible sources.

Judicial Watch: Lerner emails aren't missing
                                The administration official said Justice Department lawyers had dropped no bombshells last week, and Judicial Watch was mischaracterizing what the government had said.

The official said DOJ lawyers were only referring to tapes backing up IRS emails that were routinely recycled twice a year before 2013, when the investigation into the Tea Party controversy began.

JW is a plaintiff in this case, and known for ideological excess.

As ever, Jesse
                                How conveeenient. Just happened to recycle the backups right when they are needed.

And they also conveniently destroyed her blackberry AFTER the investigation was started.

The IRS filing in federal Judge Emmet Sullivan’s court reveals shocking new information. The IRS destroyed Lerner’s Blackberry AFTER it knew her computer had crashed and after a Congressional inquiry was well underway. As an IRS official declared under the penalty of perjury, the destroyed Blackberry would have contained the same emails (both sent and received) as Lois Lerner’s hard drive.

Read more at http://observer.com/2014/08/irs-shoc...#ixzz3BbLsyxri
                                Follow us: @newyorkobserver on Twitter | newyorkobserver on Facebook

Comment