Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Don't Dare Mention Your Faith!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    If it was in your power, would you have stopped him from adding that specification to his speech?
    Of course he would of because PM is the thought police and only words that he approves of, are allowed.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      If it was in your power, would you have stopped him from adding that specification to his speech?
      I guess. It depends upon what you mean by stop. I would prefer he be stopped by having it explained to him that specifying the god of the Bible is exclusionary at would should be a united event and for that to change his mind.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      Are you saying that you have a problem with his speech as in you disagree with it, or as in you think he should have been censored for what he said?

Note: I can't actually watch the video right now; I'm just going on what the others have said about it.

ETA: I mean, "a problem with that part of his speech...."
      I don't think it's appropriate for the setting. I don't think censoring it would do any good, depending upon what you mean by censor.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      They had a draft of the speech -- THREE TIMES! And that's NOT what you said....

THAT's what you said, and now you're trying to walk it back and claim you were worried that the SCHOOL was worried about him proselytizing?
      I think the schools objection was on him quoting the Bible. I don't have a problem with him quoting the Bible, or at least that part of it. When I said I don't think proselytizing is appropriate, I was speaking generally. I think the school feared a lawsuit if what he said could be construed as proselytizing. I think they should have realized that there was nothing wrong with quoting that part of the Bible. All of this is speculation, of course.

So, you would censor that? "Free Speech" is not limited to what is "necessary". You're really twisting in the wind here, my friend!
      I would suggest he say "may you be blessed". I don't want to attend a graduation and have someone start blessing the crowd in the name of Jesus or Allah or any other deity. It's a secular event.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
        I don't think it's appropriate for the setting.
        But he should still have the freedom to actually say it, right?
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I don't have a problem with him quoting the Bible, or at least that part of it. When I said I don't think proselytizing is appropriate, I was speaking generally.
          You have yet to show anything that even implied he was proselytizing. I still don't think you understand what that means.

I think the school feared a lawsuit if what he said could be construed as proselytizing.
          Show he where he was proselytizing in any way, shape or form.

I think they should have realized that there was nothing wrong with quoting that part of the Bible. All of this is speculation, of course.
          I would suggest he say "may you be blessed". I don't want to attend a graduation and have someone start blessing the crowd in the name of Jesus or Allah or any other deity. It's a secular event.
          So, free speech is ONLY for the secular folks in secular events, and we can only speak of Christ in our own Churches?

But let's get back to the proselytizing --- show he where he was doing that.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But he should still have the freedom to actually say it, right?
            I don't think it's inflammatory enough to forbid him from speaking. Especially in free speech issues, schools need to pick their battles wisely.

Comment

I don't think it's inflammatory enough to forbid him from speaking. Especially in free speech issues, schools need to pick their battles wisely.
              Ok, thank you.

What would you consider inflammatory enough to justify silencing him?
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

So, you're basically abandoning your position, yes?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You have yet to show anything that even implied he was proselytizing. I still don't think you understand what that means.

Show he where he was proselytizing in any way, shape or form.

So, free speech is ONLY for the secular folks in secular events, and we can only speak of Christ in our own Churches?

But let's get back to the proselytizing --- show he where he was doing that.
                  Cow Poke, I never claimed he was proselytizing. I do not think he was proselytizing. I was speaking generally because I think the school was worried that what he said could be construed as proselytizing. Calm down and read the other responses I've given. Nobody here wants to see straw men.

Ok, thank you.

What would you consider inflammatory enough to justify silencing him?
                  If he told people that to get to heaven they have to believe in Jesus Christ, or he went on about the sins of society. A graduation should be a joyous occasion, and the school should forbid anything that goes expressly against that, religious or not.

So, you're basically abandoning your position, yes?
                  No.

Comment

Cow Poke, I never claimed he was proselytizing. I do not think he was proselytizing. I was speaking generally because I think the school was worried that what he said could be construed as proselytizing.
                    Again, here is what you actually said...
                    I don't think it's right for a student to use their graduation speech to proselytize to or condemn a captive audience
                    If there's a straw man, you created it. If you don't think he was proselytizing, why did you even come up with that nonsense?

Comment

Again, here is what you actually said...

If there's a straw man, you created it.
                      Do you think I think he was condemning people too? I go on to disagree with the school.

Comment

Do you think I think he was condemning people too? I go on to disagree with the school.
                        I think you jumped in with all feet without even knowing what it was about.

Comment

I think you jumped in with all feet without even knowing what it was about.
                          I've explained my position throughout the thread. I brought it up because its a possibility in these situations, and I was imagining what I would have done had I been in the school's place. I've already stated that I think the school was worried that his speech could be taken to be something it is not. There have been times during my posting on TWeb that I've admitted I was wrong. If this was one of those times, I would have been keen to admit it. I know what I meant. If you would like to claim to know what goes on inside my head better than me, feel free, but I will not entertain your stubbornness any further.

Comment

I've explained my position throughout the thread. I brought it up because its a possibility in these situations, and I was imagining what I would have done had I been in the school's place. I've already stated that I think the school was worried that his speech could be taken to be something it is not. There have been times during my posting on TWeb that I've admitted I was wrong. If this was one of those times, I would have been keen to admit it. I know what I meant. If you would like to claim to know what goes on inside my head better than me, feel free, but I will not entertain your stubbornness any further.
                            Yeah, you will.

Meanwhile, can you make an honest attempt to briefly state exactly what your objection is, since you no longer seem to believe he was proselytizing?

Comment

Yeah, you will.

Meanwhile, can you make an honest attempt to briefly state exactly what your objection is, since you no longer seem to believe he was proselytizing?
                              Snort!
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Opened your mouth and inserted your foot yet again, eh PM?
                                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment