Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Don't Dare Mention Your Faith!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Dare Mention Your Faith!

Liberal tolerance at its best.

Salutatorian at Brawley challenges high school administration with his Christian faith:

http://www.thedesertreview.com/salut...ristian-faith/

Brooks Hamby, a senior at BUHS, had his speech denied three times by the high school administration for expressing his Christian faith.
    Last edited by seer; 06-16-2014, 09:02 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Stand up, stand up for Jesus, ye soldiers of the Cross...
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yes, God bless that kid. He would not be kowtowed by political correctness.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Nicely done.

Comment

I don't see a problem with his speech outside of the end bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            But you think it's OK for the school to attempt to stifle his free speech?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is most important to stand for Christ when you are told not to do so.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

What was wrong with the "end bit?"
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

But you think it's OK for the school to attempt to stifle his free speech?
                  I don't think it's right for a student to use their graduation speech to proselytize to or condemn a captive audience, and I think they were just covering themselves rather than examine each speech and use their brains. I'd rather they use their brains. A lot of the trouble we see with schools doing ridiculous things to protect themselves come about because they don't trust their own judgment. When these things come to light, we see that we shouldn't trust their judgment either.

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  What was wrong with the "end bit?"
                  He says something like "may the god of the Bible bless you in each and every way" and I don't think that specification is necessary.
                  Last edited by Psychic Missile; 06-16-2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I don't think it's right for a student to use their graduation speech to proselytize to or condemn a captive audience,
                    Hmmmmm... can you point out the "proselytizing" part of the speech? Do you even know what that means?

and I think they were just covering themselves rather than examine each speech and use their brains. I'd rather they use their brains. A lot of the trouble we see with schools doing ridiculous things to protect themselves come about because they don't trust their own judgment. When these things come to light, we see that we shouldn't trust their judgment either.
                    This part is just nutty.

Comment

Hmmmmm... can you point out the "proselytizing" part of the speech? Do you even know what that means?
                      I didn't say he proselytized. I think the school's decision was based on worry of him proselytizing.

This part is just nutty.
                      I don't think examining things on a case by case basis rather than blanket bans when it comes to school administration is nutty.

Comment

He says something like "may the god of the Bible bless you in each and every way" and I don't think that specification is necessary.
                        If it was in your power, would you have stopped him from adding that specification to his speech?

Comment

Are you saying that you have a problem with his speech as in you disagree with it, or as in you think he should have been censored for what he said?

Note: I can't actually watch the video right now; I'm just going on what the others have said about it.

ETA: I mean, "a problem with that part of his speech...."
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I didn't say he proselytized. I think the school's decision was based on worry of him proselytizing.
                            They had a draft of the speech -- THREE TIMES! And that's NOT what you said....
                            I don't think it's right for a student to use their graduation speech to proselytize to or condemn a captive audience
                            THAT's what you said, and now you're trying to walk it back and claim you were worried that the SCHOOL was worried about him proselytizing?

Comment

So, you would censor that? "Free Speech" is not limited to what is "necessary". You're really twisting in the wind here, my friend!

Comment