Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

American Theocracy and Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    In other words, Christians can't vote for people they agree with.
    Hi there LPOT. You seem to be using a strange other-worldly calculus. My own view is that religion and politics do not mix well and should be kept apart in order to preserve the best features of both. If you are not convinced, have a look at Iran – I am not sure how free your vote would be there. Or you could try the Mormon Theocracy in Utah where no independent thinking is allowed.

Or you might like to try Pensacola Christian College where students sign an agreement allowing the college to expel them at any time for any reason.
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slackti...xual-violence/
    This place is a good example of Christianity dumbing down scientific literacy which is exactly the wrong direction for people wanting to prosper in a modern technological society. It is the path to the American banana republic.
    Last edited by firstfloor; 06-18-2014, 09:43 AM.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      The preamble to the constitution begins “We the people” to indicate that the authority for government comes directly from the governed, not from God. It was made deliberately very unique and different form the situation in some European and Islamic constitutions that have established churches.

The Christian pathology is subversive because it wants to put God’s law above man’s law (see mega-church pastor Gregory Boyd – “The Myth of a Christian Nation”).
      Definitely a relative of Mickiel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
        Could you define that "freedom" for me?
        It is something like autonomy but more complicated and subtle than you would suppose. Philosophers think about it quite a lot. Freedom is not taught to Christians; instead they are taught obedience.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

It is something like autonomy but more complicated and subtle than you would suppose. Philosophers think about it quite a lot. Freedom is not taught to Christians; instead they are taught obedience.
          Yeah, which is why these verses are in the Bible.

John 8:32
          and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”

Galatians 5:1-3
          New American Standard Bible (NASB)
          Walk by the Spirit

5 [a]It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.

2 Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you. 3 And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law.

Isaiah 61:1
          [ Exaltation of the Afflicted ] The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, Because the Lord has anointed me To bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives And freedom to prisoners;

Romans 8:21
          that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

Galatians 5:13
          For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

1 Peter 2:15-17*
          New American Standard Bible (NASB)
          15 For [a]such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men. 16 Act as free men, and [b]do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God. 17 Honor all people, love the brotherhood, fear God, honor the [c]king.

*Yeah, I realize you will claim that this is not a description of freedom as you understand it. I say that you don't truly understand what freedom really is, you aren't even able to define it.

Comment

The Christian pathology is subversive...
            Yup.... you're sounding more like Mickiel all the time, and he's downright certifiable!

Originally posted by Mickiel
            The pathology of Christianity is the most selfish and difficult that I have seen in any religious group.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              Yeah, I realize you will claim that this is not a description of freedom as you understand it. I say that you don't truly understand what freedom really is, you aren't even able to define it.
              In Christianity you can freely choose to obey God and live or freely choose to reject God and die. This is freedom mafia style: “I'm gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.” – Vito Corleone. There is no dignity in that type of freedom.

I was listening to a lecture just the other day on this subject. If I find it again I will be sure to post a link.
              Last edited by firstfloor; 06-18-2014, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Yup.... you're sounding more like Mickiel all the time, and he's downright certifiable!
                I get it that I might say the occasional thing that seems a bit odd at first glance. The exposure to the occasional ‘mad’ idea is probably a good thing; stops us getting complacent. I haven’t read Mickiel recently but I will be sure to look him up.

Comment

I get it that I might say the occasional thing that seems a bit odd at first glance. The exposure to the occasional ‘mad’ idea is probably a good thing; stops us getting complacent. I haven’t read Mickiel recently but I will be sure to look him up.
                  He's in the Matrix. For plagiarism.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

How Christianity owns American culture and is successfully building an American Theocracy is described in this wonderful speech from 1972.
                    OK, let's get back to the OP. First of all, are you good at math? Subtract 1,972 from 2,014 and tell me what you find.

Comment

In Christianity you can freely choose to obey God and live or freely choose to reject God and die. This is freedom mafia style: “I'm gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.” – Vito Corleone. There is no dignity in that type of freedom.

I was listening to a lecture just the other day on this subject. If I find it again I will be sure to post a link.
                      That top half has a pretty big contradiction
                      "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                      "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                      Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

OK, let's get back to the OP. First of all, are you good at math? Subtract 1,972 from 2,014 and tell me what you find.
                        The subversives are playing a long game. It begins in primary education, continues in home schooling and they will nibble away at your liberal democracy so slowly that you won’t notice that it’s gone. Already ‘liberal’ seems to be a dirty word in these parts. Why is that when the U.S. was founded as a liberal democracy?
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_democracy

Comment

• So, you were incapable of the simple arithmetic?

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          The subversives are playing a long game. It begins in primary education,
                          Yes, the liberals are brainwashing our children, and the atheists have declared that the "rotting corpse of Christianity must be removed from the public school classroom", and are doing everything they can to eradicate Christianity.

continues in home schooling
                          Homeschooling came largely as a result of two factors:
                          A) the FAILED social engineering of the liberals in education
                          2) the attempt to remove any reference to Christianity from the classroom

and they will nibble away at your liberal democracy so slowly that you won’t notice that it’s gone.
                          That's why I'm so anti-liberal.

Already ‘liberal’ seems to be a dirty word in these parts.
                          It certainly is in Texas!

Why is that when the U.S. was founded as a liberal democracy?
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_democracy
                          Here, again, you show your ignorance --- we are a representative REPUBLIC. When we say our pledge to our flag, it's "to the republic for which it stands".

It just amazes me how wrong you are so often.

Comment

The subversives are playing a long game.
                            Let me help you with your math (you probably attended a liberal public school). 2014 (the year in which we are having this discussion) minus 1972 (the year in which the speech was made and cited by you) is 42.

PLEASE show me how the US has become "more Christian" or "more theocratic" in those 42 years.

Thanks

Comment

More like "You can choose to heed the "Bridge Out" sign and live, or ignore it and die". You should learn the difference between the two.

You should really post a summary of the arguments too.

Comment

Here, again, you show your ignorance --- we are a representative REPUBLIC. When we say our pledge to our flag, it's "to the republic for which it stands".
                                It just amazes me how wrong you are so often.
                                A constitutional republic is a form of liberal democracy (see above link).

Comment