Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

American Theocracy and Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    Remember the crusades
    Yeah, they took place just last month. Or was it last year? Anyhoo, obviously nothing at all has changed.

When someone kills another using Christianity as a rationalization, what is the response from other Christians? Widespread condemnation from Christians.

When someone kills another using Islam as a rationalization, what is the response from other Muslims? Praise, adoration and if the person died doing it, often rewards for the family of the killer.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      I think I'm going to go and beat up a coven of wiccans. Anyone care to join me?
      make it atheists and I will bring the matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Get. Out. Of. My. Head!
        00000000000bac.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Remember the crusades – infidel blood up to their Christian elbows? You definitely can’t reason with a jihadist and some can’t wait to slice your head off (see recent events in Iraq). I’m not convinced that it’s possible to reason with a very devout person of any faith simply because faith strongly inhibits reason and insight and promotes a feeling of righteousness that, in extreme situations, justifies mass slaughter.
          The crusades? Why is it fundy atheist always try to use an event that happened over a thousand years ago, that was a response to Islamic aggression and conquest of Christian lands, groups, and people and pretend that is an argument against Christians? So FF, what do you think is a response to an aggressive power, that has invaded your lands, killed your people, and threatens to wipe out your way of life? I guess you would have invited them in and just hopped they didn't force you to convert or die? I would suggest you actually pick up a history book and read about the history of the 8-12th century FF. A conquering power, that attempted to conquer themselves an empire at the expense of the Christian kingdoms of the era were met with force. Imagine that...
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            The crusades? Why is it fundy atheist always try to use an event that happened over a thousand years ago, that was a response to Islamic aggression and conquest of Christian lands, groups, and people and pretend that is an argument against Christians? So FF, what do you think is a response to an aggressive power, that has invaded your lands, killed your people, and threatens to wipe out your way of life? ...
            FF would have enlightened them!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'd rather remember the Alamo! (And I'm not talking rental cars!)

Hmmmmmmmm.... just a wee bit of eggzajuration there, eh?

And, when was the last time you saw a Christian Crusader on the warpath? When there IS a "Christian" extremist/murderer/bomber -- the rest of us denounce that loudly and clearly pretty much in unison.

When was the last time you heard an outcry from the Arab world about these jihadists misrepresenting their "religion of peace*"?

*submission
              Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Yeah, they took place just last month. Or was it last year? Anyhoo, obviously nothing at all has changed.

When someone kills another using Christianity as a rationalization, what is the response from other Christians? Widespread condemnation from Christians.

When someone kills another using Islam as a rationalization, what is the response from other Muslims? Praise, adoration and if the person died doing it, often rewards for the family of the killer.
              Get. Out. Of. My. Head!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Get. Out. Of. My. Head!
                When we're right, we're RIGHT!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

FF would have enlightened them!
                  I'm guessing that's before they would chop off his head?
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Wouldn't this thread have packed more rhetorical punch 10 years ago, when left-wing punching bag John Ashcroft was the Attorney General?
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Of course, when I say theocracy I mean Christian theocracy. In a town or society where everyone has to pretend to be Christian just to get a job the faith itself becomes polluted and in the effort to maintain standards the leadership has to become increasingly authoritarian.
                      Here you go again with the sort of dishonest junk that just convinces me that you are willing to overgeneralize and lie to make a statement. You say "the government at its various levels should be blind to race, creed, colour, gender and sexual orientation." Then you go on to say that when the government steps out of a prohibition that is clearly counter to the First Amendment, they should be limiting what you call "bias" and "intolerance." You want it both ways. The government should ignore liberal bias, especially atheist bias, and limit what Christians might choose to do. According to conservatives, and according to Christians, the government should stay out of religion altogether. If government makes a certain denomination mandatory that is when they should be slapped down - I would as a Christian agree with that. Keep government out of religion, not religion out of government. As a Christian I can vote for who I choose for what ever reasons I have. I can stand for office and even express my views. When I try to force others to follow only my denomination I have stepped over the line, not until then.
                      According to Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore, the First Amendment applies only to Christians because, “Buddha didn’t create us, Mohammed didn’t create us, it was the God of the Holy Scriptures” who created us. Never mind the right of other religions to have different ideas on this subject per the United States Constitution—you know, the document the Chief Justice swore to honour and uphold when he was installed into his position.
                      You do realize, do you not, the original "keep government out of religion" protection referred to Christian denominations. At one point the United States Supreme Court ruled that it was not legal to start a college that was not based upon the Christian religion. So Justice Moore was only referring back to what the Constitution originally intended. That has, obviously, been reformed to mean something else entirely.

The stupidity of Moore’s statement could never be fully explored within the context of one article such as this
                      The stupidity of your statement is much easier to fully explore in this thread. It has been exposed already to be dishonest and distorted. It is based upon nothing but ignorance and intolerance. When will you begin to argue honestly?
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        The stupidity of your statement is much easier to fully explore in this thread. It has been exposed already to be dishonest and distorted. It is based upon nothing but ignorance and intolerance. When will you begin to argue honestly?
                        When he/she accepts Christ as Savior.

Comment

American values = Christian values = Christian Nation = Christian Theocracy = Leading to Abolition of the Establishment Clause = Un-American values.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTLfLNA-nmo
                          The result will be wall-to-wall nonsense on television and in the schools about angels and the like, dumbing down and decline. Only so many will be prepared to fake it for the sake of jobs and promotion and the clever ones will go overseas to where they can live honestly.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

American values = Christian values = Christian Nation = Christian Theocracy = Leading to Abolition of the Establishment Clause = Un-American values.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTLfLNA-nmo
                            The result will be wall-to-wall nonsense on television and in the schools about angels and the like, dumbing down and decline. Only so many will be prepared to fake it for the sake of jobs and promotion and the clever ones will go overseas to where they can live honestly.
                            Yeah, you might want to put the crack pipe down, and check yourself into a clinic.

Comment

Why is it you blockheads ALWAYS refer to the "establishment clause", and totally ignore the "prohibition clause"? I bolded the part you ignore.

Source: First Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

p.s. The last bit of this video starting at 3:15 is amazing.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBqa-...OHfIUXwIejK7xA
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment