Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

American Theocracy and Decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Here's a picture for you to color.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]639[/ATTACH]
    Ah ha! Your sack is empty CP. Now that you are driven by stunningly brilliant argumentation to puerile mockery I hereby declare myself the winner! Huzzah!
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      Ah ha! Your sack is empty CP. Now that you are driven by stunningly brilliant argumentation to puerile mockery I hereby declare myself the winner! Huzzah!
      I'll take this as a tacit admission that you're just a common troll. Not that I haven't known all along, but still.

Comment

Listen FF, if you are not good at coloring just say so, we won't hold it against you!
        Last edited by seer; 06-18-2014, 12:25 PM.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Yeah, congratulations. You're the winner!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I’ve enjoyed the banter chaps. You are all wonderful people. Take care y’all.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I’ve enjoyed the banter chaps. You are all wonderful people. Take care y’all.
              See ya FF.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Yup.... you're sounding more like Mickiel all the time, and he's downright certifiable!

Which is why I gave up responding to him. I tried, even sent a PM to discuss it. This dishonest distortion continues. Is he sick or just a liar. Of course that level of lying would be pathological. In case you have not guessed I do expect he will read this and dismiss it.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  Which is why I gave up responding to him. I tried, even sent a PM to discuss it. This dishonest distortion continues. Is he sick or just a liar. Of course that level of lying would be pathological. In case you have not guessed I do expect he will read this and dismiss it.
                  I think he's just a trying to stir things up and get attention. I think he pretty well admitted as much.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    Can you read? I did say with the "original understanding of the Bill of Rights." The point is what was originally intended has been changed to suit a much more liberal slant.
                    As KG rightly pointed out, a religious test was explicitly forbidden in article six of the constitution. The bill of rights added to that. The religious requirement of the NC constitution is in violation of both. The only reason it wasn't in violation originally was because the states weren't required to strictly observe the constitution. That has since changed. No interpretation change regarding the first amendment is involved.

I completely disagree that what was originally intended has been changed. It looks much more like the original intent has been ignored and unenforced because a particular majority has held power pretty much from the beginning. Now that the tide is shifting, people are starting to pay attention and take action.

Feel free to demonstrate how a religious test doesn't qualify as establishment under under what you claim to be original intent. Be sure to show how it gets around article six while you're at it.
                    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Hi there LPOT. You seem to be using a strange other-worldly calculus.
                      Not at all FF because that seems to be just what you want. For people to not involve their personal beliefs in politics, in any way. Why can't they do that?

My own view is that religion and politics do not mix well and should be kept apart in order to preserve the best features of both. If you are not convinced, have a look at Iran – I am not sure how free your vote would be there. Or you could try the Mormon Theocracy in Utah where no independent thinking is allowed.
                      That is just silly because you can't seriously expect a person not to take a deeply held belief with them when they go to other areas of their life. BTW Iran is also one of the most powerful and stable countries in the Middle East. Yes, they don't get along with us too well, but you'll find most of the Middle Eastern countries either don't get along with us either or just tolerate us.

Or you might like to try Pensacola Christian College where students sign an agreement allowing the college to expel them at any time for any reason.
                      http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slackti...xual-violence/
                      This place is a good example of Christianity dumbing down scientific literacy which is exactly the wrong direction for people wanting to prosper in a modern technological society. It is the path to the American banana republic.
                      That's right because digging up a few examples is proof that all of Christianity is dumbing down scientific literacy. Tell me FF, since the USSR and China attempted to stamp out religion in their own countries, can I use that as proof that atheism is evil and will try to destroy people for disagreeing with them too? This is a fun game, isn't it?
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

A constitutional republic is a form of liberal democracy (see above link).
                        Yep because the word 'liberal' in it, therefore means that liberals are right and conservatives are wrong. Can you please try not to make even dumber arguments than you're already making? Thanks!
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Christianity has been domesticated for the moment but it might transmute into something more virulent in the future. It still worships the same book.
                          Christians don't worship a book idiot and the Quran and Bible have quite a few differences between the two. Do you need some remedial classes to help you spot the differences between the two?

The book in some other context has been in the past and might be again in the future something quite horrible by reference to our currently genteel sensibilities.
                          Whatever in the world this is suppose to mean. Did you forget to take your meds this morning?

The secular law can be edited but the Biblical law cannot be.
                          Yeah and how well has that worked for us so far?

The only sensible thing to do then is make sure you keep the the sacred and the profane quite separate. Keep your Bible in the pulpit and out of the courts. I don’t know if anyone recently has tried to quote the Bible in a court in order to justify their case but I would have thought that would be very problematic. How are you supposed to take evidence from God?
                          Yeah because things like murder or adultery are things that were once thought as wrong and now are not. Do you ever get tired of saying stupid things, FF?
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

How Christianity owns American culture and is successfully building an American Theocracy is described in this wonderful speech from 1972.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yflQd...ukTekgSRZrjadw
                            See how much has already been lost. With theocracy comes intolerance and decline. It is time for American atheists to stand up and be counted and take back their country from the theocrats.
                            Hi FirstFloor,

I actually recall when this speech was broadcast. At the time, I was working for a Christian radio station. It was seen at that time as an "alarm" - a call to action against the rising tide of atheism.

Flash forward to the 1980s. The Moral Majority, founded by televangelist, Jerry Falwell managed to capture the minds and hearts of millions of evangelical Christians and make them politically active. They consider themselves responsible for the election of Ronald Reagan (who was probably in secret an agnostic at best) who ushered in the "Golden Age" of the Christian moment. It was the era of the PTL (Praise The Lord) Club with Jim and Tammy Baker, the birth of the mega-church and non-denominational, "seeker-friendly" congregations.

By the end of the decade, Jim Baker was in jail and Tammy-Fae was weeping on network television with Baker's whore yakking it up on the Howard Stern show.

Rush Limbaugh supplanted the Moral Majority with a decidedly secularized version of evangelicalism, despite being an admitted agnostic (probably really an atheist). Now, Christianity has taken on a veneer of Americana, and if one attends a Tea Party rally, it is virtually impossible to tell where the Christianity ends and the worship of patriotism begins.

Reality check: none of these movements comes anywhere close to being "popular" movements in America. At most, the Moral Majority captured the imagination of a mere 1% or less in the general population. The election of Reagan, who openly courted the "religious right" was more of an aberration than a real impetus toward a "growing Christian nation - let alone a theocracy.

Fox News may be the overwhelming choice of cable viewers in America (currently Fox News is in decline for the first time this year), but cable viewership still is measured in the single millions (1.9 - 2.0), while Network television is double digits (21 million viewers on average). It is still a true statement to say that the vast majority of Americans get their news from Network television rather than Fox News.

If popular media is any indication of the philosophical bent of America, it should be noted that one of the most popular shows on television (Network, btw) is one that openly mocks Christianity and religion in general (Big Bang Theory). NOVA, a rejuvenated program from the 70s - 80s is enjoying a resurgence despite (because of?) it's decidedly non-theistic orientation.

Gay marriage, despite extremely vigilant efforts to thwart it by every Christian organization in America is gaining acceptance exponentially with every election season. Not even Seer and his minions will stop each state in America from allowing homosexuals the same rights as every other US citizen. Hardly the theocratic apocalypse you are imagining.

I think you are misinformed about the state of religion in America.

Have faith, FF - we are well on our way to joining you in freedom from theistic religion!!!!

NORM
                            Last edited by Bill the Cat; 06-19-2014, 11:16 AM.
                            When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

• Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                              Rush Limbaugh supplanted the Moral Majority with a decidedly secularized version of evangelicalism, despite being an admitted agnostic (probably really an atheist).
                              I am only curious, Norm: can you document Limbaugh admitting to be an agnostic ― with the object of said agnosticism being the existence of God?

And on what do you base your assessment that he is "probably really an atheist"?

As I said, 'just curious...
                              Last edited by John Reece; 06-19-2014, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Reece View Post
                                I am only curious, Norm: can you document Limbaugh admitting to be an agnostic ― with the object of said agnosticism being the existence of God?

And on what do you base your assessment that he is "probably really an atheist"?

As I said, 'just curious...
                                Wishful thinking based on half-remembered and probably fabricated quotes. Rush Limbaugh invokes "Talent On Loan From God" more than the Founding Fathers invoked Divine Providence. Agnostics think everyone's as confused as they are the way gays think every notable person is as gay as they are.

PROTIP FOR LIBERALS: Some people in this world do actually do what they do because they believe it's actually true, or because they actually want to raise their children in their own nation. Fewer than before, obviously, but the impulse is still there. When public figures start invoking God's name or women stop using terms to describe children that they'd even hesitate to apply to men, some of them may actually be changing their minds, and thus eventually their outward practices. Not everyone's trying to play House of Cards in real life.

Comment