Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Some Emily Litella Moments for the Climatistas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mentioned this a while back to Sylas and he assured me that geothermal / volcanic activity had little effect.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I think that anytime climate change is discussed natural phenomenon: especially geothermal activity needs to be considered first as this seems to be the strongest source of changes so far. Human activity seems to contribute some but less than Earth's own internal phenomenon.

I wonder if someone could explain how earth went from a volcanic covered near life hating planet to flourishing with lush green plants, animals etc...EXCEPT via climate change.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        I think that anytime climate change is discussed natural phenomenon: especially geothermal activity needs to be considered first as this seems to be the strongest source of changes so far. Human activity seems to contribute some but less than Earth's own internal phenomenon.

I wonder if someone could explain how earth went from a volcanic covered near life hating planet to flourishing with lush green plants, animals etc...EXCEPT via climate change.
        Keep in mind that impact due to animals/nature is okay. Impact due to humans is bad. Even though humans are nothing more than animals.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Keep in mind that impact due to animals/nature is okay. Impact due to humans is bad. Even though humans are nothing more than animals.
          In some ways I feel like there is a "hidden agenda" by the screaming alarmists and that is to convince people that all humans are evil and thus the human race must be eliminated. I know it sounds REALLY warped, and it could be, but when they start on things like population control and other weird measures I just sort of look and go okay.....really....no.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I don't doubt that that is the agenda for some of them. Of course, the hypocrites would refuse to give their own life for the cause of "cleansing Mother Nature." Would have to be someone else who suffered.

Comment

In some ways I feel like there is a "hidden agenda" by the screaming alarmists and that is to convince people that all humans are evil and thus the human race must be eliminated. I know it sounds REALLY warped, and it could be, but when they start on things like population control and other weird measures I just sort of look and go okay.....really....no.
              I personally think it is more about money and keeping it flowing than anything like that.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Hmmm, so we can prevent alien invasion by tossing a few logs on the proverbial fire?

I wonder if it's too late to buy a coal mine?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

They do not want to eliminate all human life, just most. Those left will live without any of what we consider normal.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I seriously doubt they actually plan that far ahead. Shouting slogans and demanding power based on slim justifications for an apocalyptic vision simply feels good, especially if the rest of government and society is paying you in money and attention to do it. When the money dries up, the field will go tumble-weedy in a hurry.

In completely unrelated news,

The candidate who did not lie in his campaign material, did not attempt to disenfranchise voters at several county conventions, did not help install a paid advisor as party executive director, did not headline a retreat discussing how to effectively marginalize his party’s base, and did not employ a crooked, Tammany Hall thug as chief adviser just won, and the Republican Party, having chosen the path Cantor exemplified, has the opportunity to be a more representative party and to change course before November.
                    As does the scientific establishment. If it doesn't, I will shed no tears at its demise, and will gladly destroy it and scatter its funding to the four winds for the sake of a better future. Whether in politics or in science, you forget who you represent (and who chooses you to represent themselves) at your own peril.

Comment

University of Texas Research Demolishes Main Rationale for Climate Alarmism

WOAI's Michael Board reports researcher Duncan Young says the Thwaites Glacier is indeed melting, but it is not melting due to global warming, but do to the fact that an active volcano exists directly under the glacier.

"Looking at the radar data, we can find things that look like volcanoes, little volcanoes, scattered under the ice," Hunter told 1200 WOAI news.

He says the findings 'significantly change the understanding of conditions beneath the West Antarctic ice.'

Photographs of the collapsing glacier were ubiquitous over the past month, as several reports were issued to support the Obama Administration’s push for limits on greenhouse gas emissions from coal fired power plants.

In fact, a leading climate scientist said just last month that 'unabated climate warming of several degrees over the next century is likely to speed up the collapse of West Antarctica, but it could also trigger irreversible retreat of marine-based sectors of east Antarctica. Whether we should do something about it is simply a matter of common sense, and the time to act is now, Antarctica is not waiting for us.'

But Hunter says technology had not allowed scientists to look under the ice, and he says what researchers found there was completely unexpected, and the volcanic activity, and not man made global warming, is responsible for the melting of the glacier, and for the sea level rise which had also been attributed to global warming.

"This melting of the underside of the ice is leading to a raise of an inch or two every year," he said.

Hunter says the magma from the volcanoes is distributed over a wider area and is much hotter than previously assumed.

Another climate scientist wrote last month, "the melting of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet has been cited by green activists as proof that man made global warming is dangerous, and real, and unless we act now to rein in carbon dioxide emissions we'll soon resemble Waterworld.'

Read more: http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-local-news-sponsored-by-five-star-cleaners-119078/university-of-texas-research-demolishes-main-12450202#ixzz34LQGqqKc

Comment

We could pass some laws to regulate volcanoes. Enforcement might get tricky... and hot...
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          We could pass some laws to regulate volcanoes. Enforcement might get tricky... and hot...
                          Didn't stop King Canute from trying much the same thing.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Didn't stop King Canute from trying much the same thing.
                            Um, the story surrounding Canute (or Cnut) ordering that tide should not come in has been greatly misunderstood.

Henry of Huntingdon provided the first written account of this incident in his Historia Anglorum ("The History of the English People") which was first published in the early 12th century.

According to Henry, while King Canute did indeed order the waves not to break upon his land after they did he proclaimed: "All the inhabitants of the world should know that the power of kings is vain and trivial, and that none is worthy the name of king but He whose command the heaven, earth and sea obey by eternal laws"

Henry then added "Therefore King Canute never afterwards placed the crown on his head, but above a picture of the Lord nailed to the cross, turning it forever into a means to praise God, the great king."

Thus it appears that instead of arrogantly expecting that his decree could hold back the tide this account reveals that Canute set out to demonstrate that the tide would come in regardless of what a king ordered.

IOW, Henry's account wasn't a testimony to Canute's arrogant pride or vanity but rather to his good sense and Christian humility.

On the opposite end is Herodotus' depiction of the Persian king Xerxes ordering that the Dardanelles Strait (or Hellespont) be whipped 300 times and shackles dropped into them as a mark of enslavement after a storm thwarted his first attempt to cross them during his invasion of Greece in 480 BC. If true that was a king who thought he could actually command the seas.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment