Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The police-industrial complex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The police-industrial complex?

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2...icle/10170225/

The gist is that at minimal charge, police departments, including small town police departments, are acquiring military surplus vehicles. One sheriff who acquired an MRAP is quoted as stating that it looks more "intimidating" than a Dodge. His statement that the US has become a "war zone" seems worrying and indicative of the kind of approach that some departments will take. I have read multiple accounts of small towns out of control where the police department cultures resulted in individual officers looking like Rambo.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Except they pull their Rambo junk on little old ladies instead of bad guys.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

A society that rejected and still rejects God is descending into chaos. Thus tougher measures of law enforcement are called up because of the disorder at hand.

Comment

They seem to be putting it to good use with urban warfare drills in cities like:

L.A.
        Chicago
        Houston
        Miami

Got to be prepared for those crazed domestic terrorists we've been inundated with since 911.

Comment

My annual play through of the original Deus Ex and (recently) Watch_Dogs seems prescient.

Comment

Thanks Mexico.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

The gist is that at minimal charge, police departments, including small town police departments, are acquiring military surplus vehicles. One sheriff who acquired an MRAP is quoted as stating that it looks more "intimidating" than a Dodge. His statement that the US has become a "war zone" seems worrying and indicative of the kind of approach that some departments will take. I have read multiple accounts of small towns out of control where the police department cultures resulted in individual officers looking like Rambo.
              The militarization of police departments seems to have made them much more aggressive and eager to use their new toys if given the slightest chance. I even have a couple friends in law enforcement that have expressed their concern about this trend.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                Thanks Mexico.
                Don't blame Mexico for Chicago or Houston. The terrorists there are almost 100% domestic.

Comment

Thanks Canada.

Comment

I have a hard time understanding this as a problem. Traditionally, law enforcement officers have confronted dangerous situations with inadequate equipment and training all across the country. The fact that we are now fixing this issue is a positive thing, I think. For instance, the shooting at Columbine fundamentally changed how patrol officers are trained all across this country. They were finally taught the skills that they should have been taught in the first place (tactical building searches, active shooter response, etc).

As long as such equipment is deployed with common sense, I don't see a problem (and yes, I have read of isolated incidents where this was not the case). Honestly, a lot of people criticizing the use of armored vehicles don't seem to understand the tactical situations that armored cars are useful for. Our local law enforcement agencies use them for tactical operations where there are armed subjects because it allows groups of officers to safely approach an armed subject (at least some distance). They also have them on standby near certain, higher-risk drug raids, in case they are needed for casualty extraction. Regular, non-armored vehicles offer no protection from bullets and are thus not adequate for these uses.

The thing about this type of equipment is that those with the purse strings don't want to justify the expenditure until AFTER someone's hurt or killed. I've seen this locally with our sheriff's office. They couldn't afford to even outfit all their patrol deputies with ballistic armor (pretty standard in the U.S.). That is, they couldn't afford it until they had 3 officer-involved shootings in about a year..with three deputies shot. Now, they've all got ballistic armor, helmets, many have entry vests, and yes...they acquired an MRAP. Might only really need it a few times a year, or less. But when you need it, you need it. Of course, the politicians didn't act quickly enough to help the men who were forced to medically retire after confronting dangerous situations without the proper equipment. But, hey...they're paid to do that, right?
                    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Can't say as I blame them; what with everyone and their brother packing heat these days. I guess I'm just weird in that I trust my local law enforcement professionals to do the right thing most of the time.

Tell me, is it now considered non-Christian to be on the side of law enforcement? I haven't been in a Christian church in a while.

NORM
                      When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

The problem with bureaucracy buying an expensive toy is that they are either psychologically or administratively compelled to use said toy (proving it to be worth the expense). A legitimate precaution can then become a dangerous liability.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          The problem with bureaucracy buying an expensive toy is that they are either psychologically or administratively compelled to use said toy (proving it to be worth the expense). A legitimate precaution can then become a dangerous liability.
                          I think that is an unfair accusation. Can you prove that this is the case? When and why did the Christian community become so suspicious of law enforcement? I can understand why blacks in Los Angeles are suspicious of their law enforcement because of a history of abuse, but I am struggling to understand why Christians fear the police.

NORM
                          When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Why are you making it a Christian thing?

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                              Tell me, is it now considered non-Christian to be on the side of law enforcement? I haven't been in a Christian church in a while.

NORM
                              No... unless law enforcement is doing something obviously wrong (i.e. upholding the system of apartheid in South Africa for one example).
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment