Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The police-industrial complex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
    Why are you making it a Christian thing?
    This is an overwhelmingly Christian group, no? All of the commenters suggesting fear of police in this conversation are Christians, so I am quite rightly assuming that somehow, their Christian worldview is informing this fear.

As a former Christian, I am puzzled as to what changed to suggest we should fear police having the tools to protect themselves.

NORM
    When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      No... unless law enforcement is doing something obviously wrong (i.e. upholding the system of apartheid in South Africa for one example).
      What does apartheid have to do with police acquiring protective armor for their vehicles?

NORM
      When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land. - Bishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

No... unless law enforcement is doing something obviously wrong (i.e. upholding the system of apartheid in South Africa for one example).
        Upholding apartheid was obviously right in hindsight, Mr. Not-Currently-Living-in-South-Africa. Now that the pockets of remaining white people in South Africa have the much better option of relying on either themselves, mercenaries, or the corrupt and ineffectual black police force to enforce order, you're saying that this is better than living under a system that kept the public peace?

Saying triggering things like that is what particularly encourages me, and you would be well advised to pick your words more carefully before callously slandering a system that prevented much of the chaos the country now lives under.

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
          Upholding apartheid was obviously right in hindsight, Mr. Not-Currently-Living-in-South-Africa. Now that the pockets of remaining white people in South Africa have the much better option of relying on either themselves, mercenaries, or the corrupt and ineffectual black police force to enforce order, you're saying that this is better than living under a system that kept the public peace?

Saying triggering things like that is what particularly encourages me, and you would be well advised to pick your words more carefully before callously slandering a system that prevented much of the chaos the country now lives under.
          Wow. Just...wow.
          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            The problem with bureaucracy buying an expensive toy is that they are either psychologically or administratively compelled to use said toy (proving it to be worth the expense). A legitimate precaution can then become a dangerous liability.
            The old if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail philosophy.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
              Wow. Just...wow.
              Response was trite, just trite. They say the motto of the Millenial generation is "Here's why that's a problem."

Nevertheless, if you're seriously attempting to argue that South Africa is a better, safer, or more prosperous country under black rule, now's the time to do it. If not, I'm going to presume it's because you've generally been miseducated on the nature of things down there.

Comment

This thread has nothing to do with South Africa. Start another thread if you want to discuss it.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

No... unless law enforcement is doing something obviously wrong (i.e. upholding the system of apartheid in Roman occupied Judea for one example).
                  Fixed.

Oh wait...
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

This thread has nothing to do with South Africa. Start another thread if you want to discuss it.
                    You're the one who brought up South African police enforcing apartheid, now's the time to put up or shut up about your experience there. Illuminate the difference between, say, enforcement experiences with black and white cops.

My opinion, based on my experience and readings, is that most police officers are required to be brutal, exacting, and vicious with dangerous idiotic, and equally brutal minorities on a daily basis, but they can't simply come out and say that there's going to be a double standard without massive retaliation from their "superiors" at the police commissioner and mayoral level, so they have to roll into suburban houses and go full Call of Duty on the residents because EQUALITY, bigot. And as long as you can't say that you do indeed have double standards for different classes and races of people based on hard statistical likelihood of violent responses, you're going to empower every sadist in the police department to greater levels of violence, every amoral ghetto lawyer among the asphalt tribes to greater demands for leniency, and every sociopathic local politician to dodge any and all accountability for greater and greater ugliness and stupidity on the force.

Being honest about race would actually benefit common crime victims and create a much more efficient and effective police department, but 'random crime victims' and 'decent people trying to work morally and efficiently' aren't an organized political constituency, and therefore don't exit in the media's radar.

Other good reading from an actual cop can be found in the "Problems facing the Department" sidebar on this site.

Other good reading on South African cops: my first three Google autocompletes:

"South African cops having banging in the office(omg)"
                    "South African cops caught on camera"
                    "South African cops caught on tape"

Should I start bringing the pain links or are you ready to admit defeat now?

Comment

It was an offhand example used to answer a question that wasn't that much on topic to begin with. I know you like to look for any possible inroads possible to derail threads with your racist agenda, and a mere mention does not suffice to change the entire topic of the thread.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
                        Response was trite, just trite. They say the motto of the Millenial generation is "Here's why that's a problem."

Nevertheless, if you're seriously attempting to argue that South Africa is a better, safer, or more prosperous country under black rule, now's the time to do it. If not, I'm going to presume it's because you've generally been miseducated on the nature of things down there.
                        I wasn't attempting to argue anything. I just wanted to express disdain for more of your crazy ranting.

And no, I don't care to discuss it with you. I wouldn't convince you, and you wouldn't convince me. So let's not waste our time.
                        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by NormATive View Post
                          This is an overwhelmingly Christian group, no? All of the commenters suggesting fear of police in this conversation are Christians, so I am quite rightly assuming that somehow, their Christian worldview is informing this fear.
                          It's not "fear of police" -- heck, I'm a Police Chaplain now, pretty actively involved with our PD, and a former Police Officer. My concern is that mistakes happen... and with the "overwhelming force" available to local law enforcement today, the MAGNITUDE of those mistakes can be incredible.

I'm not "afraid" -- I'm concerned.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            The militarization of police departments seems to have made them much more aggressive and eager to use their new toys if given the slightest chance. I even have a couple friends in law enforcement that have expressed their concern about this trend.
                            Yeah.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Except they pull their Rambo junk on little old ladies instead of bad guys.
                              And small children. Unfortunately, even drug dealers often have small children in homes where a raid takes place, AND, it's not terribly unusual for a raid to take place on the WRONG HOUSE, with devastating affect.

Comment