Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Seattle Pacific Shooter Had Warning Signs....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seattle Pacific Shooter Had Warning Signs....

    ...so another case of shoulda, woulda, coulda.

    http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/2014/0607...tainable-video
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

  • #2
    What had he done to warrent being detained? The system is faulty, but no matter what we do to improve it there will still be flaws. We humans are imperfect and will always find a way to express that.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
      If you couldn't tell, my example was making fun of Epo, not supporting his "analysis".
      Thereby pulling this further off the actual topic.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

      Comment


      • #4
        All, please address the OP or start another thread.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

        Comment


        • #5
          In my role as department head I'm telling you guys to take the discussion about Epoekter's misogyny to another thread stop derailing this one. Anymore off topic post will be split off along with previous ones if it continues.
          Last edited by RumTumTugger; 06-08-2014, 02:04 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Realistically one of the larger flaws here is found in our mental health system. People can't actually get help unless they have gone through treatment and are suicidal/homicidal anyway aren't eating drinking or sleeping or have an "in" diagnosis and then they might be given wrongful treatment. Money has been cut so much for mental health and funded into other things that the poor are lacking. Autism can't be treated if its first diagnosed passed the age of 21, and public funding won't treat severe OCD or Residual/Undifferentiated Diagnoses but it will treat Borderline Personality, Schizophrenia, or Bipolar. If you don't have it...you can't get treatment at all you can't get much of anything...except a great big pity party. Of course women can get free public funding to kill their babies...but I digress
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes...funding is an issue. I find it interesting that this young man's mother did not have him admitted. It seems from the article that he was of age, so I wonder if the real issue is money, since she would have to gain custody of him to begin with. If so, she probably couldn't afford the legal and medical costs involved in such a process.

              Of course he's at least partially responsible for the mess he got himself into. I've never bought into the idea that somebody made them do such terrible things, not when they spend so much effort thinking out the details. But as Grandpa Jed pointed out, the system is run by flawed human beings and lack of money doesn't help.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

              Comment


              • #8
                http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...rofilexml.html

                Here's a more personal perspective on Ybarra. Severe family problems but he was nice to friends and neighbors. Hm.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

                Comment


                • #9
                  DB, I've commented before if we remove the weapons used from the discussion (as they are a peripheral tool that is used, be it a knife, or a gun) we are left with individuals who are disturbed enough to be wanting to go on a killing spree.

                  The problem is how preemptive to we go if we do see the warning signs? Do we go full Minority Report detaining people with warning signs? After all you can have the warnign signs, but retain enough self control to not act on them.
                  It's a tricky situation and I'm not sure where the answer lies.
                  "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
                  -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

                  "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Oh neither do I, Raphael. I don't want a Minority Report concept either. . I've been thinking over these situations. Where can a family like Rodgers ' s who DID warn the police possibly get more power to interfere if the police can't? Should they? Should the police toss everybody into the psych hold 'just in case' instead of being trained to follow certain criteria (sarcasm: they'd LOVE that idea! )

                    Removing weapons aren't the answer either. Neither is blaming somebody or something as the triggering mechansim. Funding? Should the mental health system be given money for evaluation and treatment? Or the schools (more sarcasm: schools would LOVE that- after all, they're the first line of education!)
                    Last edited by DesertBerean; 06-08-2014, 07:49 PM.
                    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You know....text for the sermon tonight was 1 Cor 15:1-11. Famous chapter...We should all know it. It's the Resurrection chapter.

                      But verse 2 sticks with me right now:
                      By this gospel you are saved,*if you hold firmly*to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. (NIV, Gateway Bible).

                      The gospel is: Christ died for our sins. Christ was buried then rose again from the dead. Christ appeared to many, including five hundred people at one time, as proof of his victory over death itself. And every Christian, in order to not have believed in vain, needs to live out this truth in every day life, not any hobby horse grievance any man or woman might have.

                      not saying there's an easy answer either. But I've decided after hearing the sermon tonight that it's time to check priorities.
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                        Oh neither do I, Raphael. I don't want a Minority Report concept either. . I've been thinking over these situations. Where can a family like Rodgers ' s who DID warn the police possibly get more power to interfere if the police can't? Should they? Should the police toss everybody into the psych hold 'just in case' instead of being trained to follow certain criteria (sarcasm: they'd LOVE that idea! )

                        Removing weapons aren't the answer either. Neither is blaming somebody or something as the triggering mechansim. Funding? Should the mental health system be given money for evaluation and treatment? Or the schools (more sarcasm: schools would LOVE that- after all, they're the first line of education!)
                        Funding may be the answer, the organisations best equipped to deal with things are often woefully underfunded and are also often charity organisations (thinking of the good work the Salvation Army does here in NZ ... support them people!), and definitely more education for key people who deal with things like this. The problem with the last one is identifying the key people.

                        Maybe it should become a part of teacher training, afterall they are the ones who will deal with kids on a daily basis. And it has to be educated enough so you don't get morons suspending kids for supposedly eating his sandwich into the shape of a gun.
                        "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
                        -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

                        "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Things are crazy enough here in California. *sigh* Teachers aren't what they used to be.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            Yes...funding is an issue. I find it interesting that this young man's mother did not have him admitted. It seems from the article that he was of age, so I wonder if the real issue is money, since she would have to gain custody of him to begin with. If so, she probably couldn't afford the legal and medical costs involved in such a process.

                            Of course he's at least partially responsible for the mess he got himself into. I've never bought into the idea that somebody made them do such terrible things, not when they spend so much effort thinking out the details. But as Grandpa Jed pointed out, the system is run by flawed human beings and lack of money doesn't help.
                            It's not just money. By and large, our society doesn't consider mental health to be a real thing, and those who admit to it tend to be marginalized. That makes it so people don't know what they're looking at, deny it when they do, and refuse to seek help when they can't deny it any longer.
                            I'm not here anymore.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                              It's not just money. By and large, our society doesn't consider mental health to be a real thing, and those who admit to it tend to be marginalized. That makes it so people don't know what they're looking at, deny it when they do, and refuse to seek help when they can't deny it any longer.
                              I don't know if our society thinks mental health is unreal. I do agree we see it as inconvenient as you point out.

                              I remember my experiences with my ex husband. The situation wasn't helped by my denial of what was really going on. Too, I think my own sense of self preservation was very poor, so I was slow to admit just how bad things were. Pride got in the way of what might have been an awesome show of God's power to heal those who admit they need help.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by LiconaFan97, Yesterday, 04:56 PM
                              20 responses
                              115 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                              Started by Juvenal, Yesterday, 11:08 AM
                              10 responses
                              78 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Juvenal
                              by Juvenal
                               
                              Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, Yesterday, 08:52 AM
                              6 responses
                              61 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Ronson, 10-22-2020, 10:59 PM
                              53 responses
                              337 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NorrinRadd  
                              Started by seer, 10-22-2020, 02:50 PM
                              24 responses
                              161 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Working...
                              X