Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

WWII Vet Declines Private Meeting with Obama on D-Day Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah I could. And as an owner I should set an example for others, but in this case, Jesse's *smirk* and mocking of CP's dad and veterans is just too much. It's a shame that our soldiers fought and died just so jerks like that can mock them.
    He can't help it -- he's a junior educrat.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    Aren't you an owner now? You could fix this problem so we can all say what we really feel.
    Yeah I could. And as an owner I should set an example for others, but in this case, Jesse's *smirk* and mocking of CP's dad and veterans is just too much. It's a shame that our soldiers fought and died just so jerks like that can mock them.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    And yes I know that word is against our decorum
    Aren't you an owner now? You could fix this problem so we can all say what we really feel.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    Is that an invitation? I'll take it!

The reason it resonated, CP, is because you suck up every conspiracy theory from Benghazi to Bergdahl, put up by every right wing fringe media source you can find. Ya know, like National Review. Now the recent Bergdahl prisoner swap in which five hardened partisan flacks commissioned stories from every hack writer they could find is rubbing a lot of the military veterans attending D-Day events the wrong way.

Why just last week, while talking to a group of unnamed WWII veterans I'm almost certain to be making up for the purpose of inserting a quote nobody can check, one told me, sadly, “It’s not that we don’t want to respect your dad, CP. It’s just that his reading material makes it so hard to do so.”

*smirk*
    I don't usually say stuff like this, but Jesse, you are acting like a complete asshole. And yes I know that word is against our decorum but in this case it is true and I won't remove it.
    Last edited by Sparko; 06-06-2014, 01:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied
    Speaking of which, one of Buckley's more successful recruits has recently weighed in on the Bergdahl swap. This is David Brooks, the conservative half of Brooks and Shields, a writer recruited very publicly by Buckley while he was still in college, based on a satire he'd just had published in one of the campus rags. According to Brooks, Buckley, speaking on campus to a large crowd, asked who wrote that piece, because he wanted to give him a job.

Anyway, here's the piece.

President Obama Was Right
    David Brooks hasn't been an actual conservative in a long, long time. Quoting him as a conservative voice is an excellent idiot indicator though.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Executor
    replied

The reason it resonated, CP, is because you suck up every conspiracy theory from Benghazi to Bergdahl,
    Wait, what "conspiracy theory"? Obama exchanged 5 terrorists for a deserter and possible traitor (and possibly broke the law in the process). Where's the conspiracy? A conspiracy implies something's hidden whereas Obama, stupid jackass that he is, did this out in the open and expected to be praised for it. And cretinous sycophants like you are right there to lick his boots.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    What are you reading now, Z?
    You'll be disappointed in me.

I actually don't read as much as you might think, or as much as I probably should. I check Fox and Townhall occasionally, but I really don't read much in terms of news. It's all just so dadgum repetitive and disheartening.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    What are you reading now, Z?

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    National Review is a decidedly conservative publication, and makes no bones about it. Unlike much of the MSM, they tell you EXACTLY who they are and what their agenda is.
    Source: National Review - "Our Mission"

Since 1955, National Review magazine has defined the modern conservative movement and enjoys the broadest allegiance of American conservatives. National Review Institute was founded by William F. Buckley Jr. in 1991 to engage in policy development, public education, and advocacy that would advance the principles he championed.

Bill Buckley sought to preserve and buttress the foundations of our free society and to conserve our inheritance from the Founders. National Review Institute will synthesize the best thinking on how to guard and build on our country’s strengths and add vigor and practical application to our conservative convictions. National Review Institute will both draw from and support other conservative institutions, serving as an authoritative voice for policies and for strategies to implement them.

© Copyright Original Source

But, BECAUSE of who they are, anything they print must necessarily be untrue.
    I figured as much.

Still, I'm curious what lao tzu would recommend as alternate sources of news.

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Speaking of which, one of Buckley's more successful recruits has recently weighed in on the Bergdahl swap. This is David Brooks, the conservative half of Brooks and Shields, a writer recruited very publicly by Buckley while he was still in college, based on a satire he'd just had published in one of the campus rags. According to Brooks, Buckley, speaking on campus to a large crowd, asked who wrote that piece, because he wanted to give him a job.

Not bad.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I'm curious to see you answer rogue's question. I'd also be curious to hear more about your issues with National Review (I don't really know anything about it).
    National Review is a decidedly conservative publication, and makes no bones about it. Unlike much of the MSM, they tell you EXACTLY who they are and what their agenda is.
    Source: National Review - "Our Mission"

Since 1955, National Review magazine has defined the modern conservative movement and enjoys the broadest allegiance of American conservatives. National Review Institute was founded by William F. Buckley Jr. in 1991 to engage in policy development, public education, and advocacy that would advance the principles he championed.

Bill Buckley sought to preserve and buttress the foundations of our free society and to conserve our inheritance from the Founders. National Review Institute will synthesize the best thinking on how to guard and build on our country’s strengths and add vigor and practical application to our conservative convictions. National Review Institute will both draw from and support other conservative institutions, serving as an authoritative voice for policies and for strategies to implement them.

© Copyright Original Source

But, BECAUSE of who they are, anything they print must necessarily be untrue.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    Heard a joke once where William F. Buckley's experience of purgatory was being forced to read every modern issue of NR, cover-to-cover, until the quality of the publication improved.

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied

The reason it resonated, CP, is because you suck up every conspiracy theory from Benghazi to Bergdahl, put up by every right wing fringe media source you can find. Ya know, like National Review. Now the recent Bergdahl prisoner swap in which five hardened partisan flacks commissioned stories from every hack writer they could find is rubbing a lot of the military veterans attending D-Day events the wrong way.

Why just last week, while talking to a group of unnamed WWII veterans I'm almost certain to be making up for the purpose of inserting a quote nobody can check, one told me, sadly, “It’s not that we don’t want to respect your dad, CP. It’s just that his reading material makes it so hard to do so.”

*smirk*
    Thank you for this fair and helpful response.

Just to satisfy my curiosity: what news sources would you personally recommend?

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The reason it resonated, Jesse, is because I just spent a week with my Dad, who is also a WWII vet. He expressed the very same sentiments as the last line of the OP.

Would you like to mock my father, too?

*smirk*

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    National Review. Seriously. National Review.

Y'all do this to yourselves.
    I'm curious to see you answer rogue's question. I'd also be curious to hear more about your issues with National Review (I don't really know anything about it).

Leave a comment: