Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

WWII Vet Declines Private Meeting with Obama on D-Day Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Sparko is part landlord, he can do things the tenants can't. Besides, it's 100% true that lao tzu is a despicable human being.

Comment

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
      If Sparko is part landlord, he can do things the tenants can't. Besides, it's 100% true that lao tzu is a despicable human being.
      I am not contesting that, but it does not make it a good thing to do.
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        Unless you change the rules for everyone, and I do not think you should do that, then you are creating a double standard, and a hypocritical one at that. If you do not want others to speak this way here, you should not do so yourself.
        He could have used arse-hole. From what I've seen in the past, it's acceptable and rolls off the tongue about as effective.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          He could have used arse-hole. From what I've seen in the past, it's acceptable and rolls off the tongue about as effective.
          It used to be acceptable until some butthurt mod gave me an infraction for using it. I pointed out people (including an admin) used it before. Someone (I think it was rogue) told me there would be a discussion about it among mods. A year or two after they were still "discussing" it.
          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Personally, I see no difference between "arse-hole" and what Sparko said. Not saying Sparko isn't justified in calling lao tzu one, nor will I weigh in on whether or not it should be allowed (should definitely be avoided and used sparingly though). Just saying I see no difference between the two words at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Yeah I could. And as an owner I should set an example for others, but in this case, Jesse's *smirk* and mocking of CP's dad and veterans is just too much. It's a shame that our soldiers fought and died just so jerks like that can mock them.
              He's mocking National Review, not veterans. And then he whiffed badly by calling David Brooks a conservative, but that's still not mocking veterans. He's a veteran.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                He's mocking National Review, not veterans. And then he whiffed badly by calling David Brooks a conservative, but that's still not mocking veterans. He's a veteran.
                No he actually mocked CP's dad.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  If Brooks isn't a conservative, then neither is Buckley.

As to the veterans thing ... *snort*

Yes, I am. And so was my dad, who also served in WWII, and also landed on the beach on D-Day.

And so was my grand-dad, who served in WWI. I was with him at the Palmer House in Chicago when he handed over the Last Man's Cup from Ambulance Company 129 to the National Archives.

I could keep on going, back through the Revolutionary War, because, as it so happens, I'm an American veteran from at least as long a line of American veterans as anyone here, and almost certainly longer.

Folks wanting to play the veteran's card to score cheap political tricks need to get over the fact that it's not a partisan brickbat to use for bashing the Commander in Chief.

And it sure the hell shouldn't be used for doing so on D-Day.

Unless you're the National Review.

*smirk*

Comment

Speaking of being respectful on DDay:

http://weaselzippers.us/188765-obama...versary-event/

Obama's a prince. How much hate and racism can one hold in their heart to criticize this paragon of perfection?
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      You'll be disappointed in me.

I actually don't read as much as you might think, or as much as I probably should. I check Fox and Townhall occasionally, but I really don't read much in terms of news. It's all just so dadgum repetitive and disheartening.
                      Dear Z,

There's not much I can recommend for you, then. You could try the BBC for a reasonably objective view of American Politics. Their North America Editor, Mark Mardell writes regularly on the U.S., and is likely to appeal to a run-of-the-mill conservative.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        No he actually mocked CP's dad.
                        Parody. OBP gets it. Sparko, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                          Parody. OBP gets it. Sparko, not so much.
                          From the few times I've run across you on this forum, I've noticed you got a major chip on your shoulder, and I don't blame Spark for calling you out. I don't know if your avatar is reflective of what you're going through in real life, but you need to get a grip.

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
                            From the few times I've run across you on this forum, I've noticed you got a major chip on your shoulder, and I don't blame Spark for calling you out. I don't know if your avatar is reflective of what you're going through in real life, but you need to get a grip.
                            The astronaut hanging out at the space bar?
                            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                              The astronaut hanging out at the space bar?
                              Looks to me like a guy drowning in his misery.

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
                                Looks to me like a guy drowning in his misery.
                                It's an old joke. Where do astroanuts hang out? At the space bar. As in, on the keyboard.

https://dov5cor25da49.cloudfront.net...0design_01.jpg
                                Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment