Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

WWII Vet Declines Private Meeting with Obama on D-Day Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII Vet Declines Private Meeting with Obama on D-Day Anniversary

The last line of this article, which I have bolded, sums up what my own Dad, also a WWII Vet, feels about Obama:

Source: National Review Online

Brix, France — Some of the veterans attending the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings here in France have fascinating stories.

Take George Ciampa, the most vibrant and spry 89-year-old I have ever met. In 1944, he landed in Normandy as a soldier assigned to the 84th Graves Registration Unit. “I spent the next few years going from France to Germany helping to bury people,” he told me. He was involved in setting up the temporary military cemeteries in Normandy that have now become stirring memorials to our fallen dead.

The experience transformed George, and he eventually became a filmmaker celebrating America’s heroes. His website tells the story of the four documentaries he has done on military valor. He is still making films today.

This week, George received a call from the White House, who said they knew he would be over in France during D-Day, and wondered if he would attend a private meeting the White House was arranging for veterans with President Obama.

George thought about it for awhile and concluded he just couldn’t. “I have so many issues with the president’s policies, including the most recent ones,” he told me ruefully. “I just couldn’t convince myself to do it.”

He is not alone. The recent Bergdahl prisoner swap in which five hardened Taliban terrorists were released from prison is rubbing a lot of the military veterans attending D-Day events the wrong way. “It’s not that we don’t want to respect the commander-in-chief,” one told me sadly. “It’s just that he makes it so hard to do so.”

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

National Review.

*smirk*

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      National Review.

*smirk*
      Are you saying that they are misrepresenting George Ciampa?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

National Review.

*smirk*
        You can ask him yourself:

George Ciampa
        LET FREEDOM RING 501(c)(3) 100% non-profit organization
        3304 Whiffletree Lane
        Torrance,CA 90505
        310 539 4345
        310 408 2345 cell
        gciampa@sbcglobal.net
        www.letfreedomringforall.org
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Are you saying that they are misrepresenting George Ciampa?
          National Review. Seriously. National Review.

Y'all do this to yourselves.

Comment

The reason it resonated, Jesse, is because I just spent a week with my Dad, who is also a WWII vet. He expressed the very same sentiments as the last line of the OP.

Would you like to mock my father, too?

Comment

Heard a joke once where William F. Buckley's experience of purgatory was being forced to read every modern issue of NR, cover-to-cover, until the quality of the publication improved.
              Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

I'm curious to see you answer rogue's question. I'd also be curious to hear more about your issues with National Review (I don't really know anything about it).
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  The reason it resonated, Jesse, is because I just spent a week with my Dad, who is also a WWII vet. He expressed the very same sentiments as the last line of the OP.

Would you like to mock my father, too?
                  Is that an invitation? I'll take it!

The reason it resonated, CP, is because you suck up every conspiracy theory from Benghazi to Bergdahl, put up by every right wing fringe media source you can find. Ya know, like National Review. Now the recent Bergdahl prisoner swap in which five hardened partisan flacks commissioned stories from every hack writer they could find is rubbing a lot of the military veterans attending D-Day events the wrong way.

Why just last week, while talking to a group of unnamed WWII veterans I'm almost certain to be making up for the purpose of inserting a quote nobody can check, one told me, sadly, “It’s not that we don’t want to respect your dad, CP. It’s just that his reading material makes it so hard to do so.”

*smirk*

Comment

Is that an invitation? I'll take it!

The reason it resonated, CP, is because you suck up every conspiracy theory from Benghazi to Bergdahl, put up by every right wing fringe media source you can find. Ya know, like National Review. Now the recent Bergdahl prisoner swap in which five hardened partisan flacks commissioned stories from every hack writer they could find is rubbing a lot of the military veterans attending D-Day events the wrong way.

Why just last week, while talking to a group of unnamed WWII veterans I'm almost certain to be making up for the purpose of inserting a quote nobody can check, one told me, sadly, “It’s not that we don’t want to respect your dad, CP. It’s just that his reading material makes it so hard to do so.”

*smirk*
                    Thank you for this fair and helpful response.

Just to satisfy my curiosity: what news sources would you personally recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                      Heard a joke once where William F. Buckley's experience of purgatory was being forced to read every modern issue of NR, cover-to-cover, until the quality of the publication improved.
                      Speaking of which, one of Buckley's more successful recruits has recently weighed in on the Bergdahl swap. This is David Brooks, the conservative half of Brooks and Shields, a writer recruited very publicly by Buckley while he was still in college, based on a satire he'd just had published in one of the campus rags. According to Brooks, Buckley, speaking on campus to a large crowd, asked who wrote that piece, because he wanted to give him a job.

Anyway, here's the piece.

President Obama Was Right

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        I'm curious to see you answer rogue's question. I'd also be curious to hear more about your issues with National Review (I don't really know anything about it).
                        National Review is a decidedly conservative publication, and makes no bones about it. Unlike much of the MSM, they tell you EXACTLY who they are and what their agenda is.
                        Source: National Review - "Our Mission"

Since 1955, National Review magazine has defined the modern conservative movement and enjoys the broadest allegiance of American conservatives. National Review Institute was founded by William F. Buckley Jr. in 1991 to engage in policy development, public education, and advocacy that would advance the principles he championed.

Bill Buckley sought to preserve and buttress the foundations of our free society and to conserve our inheritance from the Founders. National Review Institute will synthesize the best thinking on how to guard and build on our country’s strengths and add vigor and practical application to our conservative convictions. National Review Institute will both draw from and support other conservative institutions, serving as an authoritative voice for policies and for strategies to implement them.

But, BECAUSE of who they are, anything they print must necessarily be untrue.

Comment

Speaking of which, one of Buckley's more successful recruits has recently weighed in on the Bergdahl swap. This is David Brooks, the conservative half of Brooks and Shields, a writer recruited very publicly by Buckley while he was still in college, based on a satire he'd just had published in one of the campus rags. According to Brooks, Buckley, speaking on campus to a large crowd, asked who wrote that piece, because he wanted to give him a job.

Anyway, here's the piece.

President Obama Was Right
                          Not bad.
                          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            National Review is a decidedly conservative publication, and makes no bones about it. Unlike much of the MSM, they tell you EXACTLY who they are and what their agenda is.
                            Source: National Review - "Our Mission"

Since 1955, National Review magazine has defined the modern conservative movement and enjoys the broadest allegiance of American conservatives. National Review Institute was founded by William F. Buckley Jr. in 1991 to engage in policy development, public education, and advocacy that would advance the principles he championed.

Bill Buckley sought to preserve and buttress the foundations of our free society and to conserve our inheritance from the Founders. National Review Institute will synthesize the best thinking on how to guard and build on our country’s strengths and add vigor and practical application to our conservative convictions. National Review Institute will both draw from and support other conservative institutions, serving as an authoritative voice for policies and for strategies to implement them.

But, BECAUSE of who they are, anything they print must necessarily be untrue.
                            I figured as much.

Still, I'm curious what lao tzu would recommend as alternate sources of news.

Comment

What are you reading now, Z?

Comment