Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Liberal Fascism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Liberal Fascism?

How long before they try and force churches to officiate Gay Marriages?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5438726.html

The owner of a Colorado bakery has vowed to stop making wedding cakes entirely after a court ruled he discriminated against a pair of gay grooms-to-be when he refused to sell them a cake.

On May 30, Colorado's Civil Rights Commission upheld a December 2013 ruling which found that Masterpiece Cakeshop owner Jack Phillips had discriminated against Dave Mullins and Charlie Craig when he denied their request for a wedding cake in 2012. Phillips, a devout Christian, had argued that the decision violated his First Amendment rights to free speech and free exercise of his religion.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

If it's happening with private businesses, it's a sure thing it will happen with 501c(3) churches.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      If it's happening with private businesses, it's a sure thing it will happen with 501c(3) churches.
      Yes, what would prevent them from taking the next step?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Yes, what would prevent them from taking the next step?
        Liberals whining about this being a "slippery slope"?
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

What legal precedence would allow forcing churches to officiate gay marriages? Who are these people who want to force churches to officiate gay marriages?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            What legal precedence would allow forcing churches to officiate gay marriages? Who are these people who want to force churches to officiate gay marriages?
            The same people that scream 'bigot' whenever somebody disagrees with them in any way, shape, of form?
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              The same people that scream 'bigot' whenever somebody disagrees with them in any way, shape, of form?
              Is it that play fast and loose with the word or is it that you don't like who they use it against?

Comment

Using the same anti discrimination laws, and people behind them, that would punish a simple baker for refusing to bake a cake for a gay wedding. Take the case in my OP, there were plenty of other bakeries in the same area who would have made the cake - why not just go to one of them? No, these spiteful people want anyone who disagrees with them to pay, to be hurt. It is that mindset that will not live with churches that refuse service to them.

Comment

We're also going to force Catholic churches to give communion to any Muslims who give alms, because a church is the same thing as a business open to the public.

Comment

As to your first question, I don't really have a good answer other than to reiterate what seer said.

Taking the example of the wedding cake: you argued (if I remember correctly) that the baker should be forced to bake the cake for the gay couple. In what way would that argument not apply to a church officiating a wedding?

As to your second question, I'm surprised that people seem to think such a thing is so unthinkable. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch at all to me.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
                      We're also going to force Catholic churches to give communion to any Muslims who give alms, because a church is the same thing as a business open to the public.

That's okay - when the pendulum swings back we're gonna make everyone go to church five times a week and paint the Ten Commandments on any flat surface that holds still - or not, like your car...
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Legal precedence does not seem to be very important in today's United States.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Who needs legal precedent when you can simply create one through activist courts? You don't think this is happening elsewhere?

Source: http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/millionaire-gay-couple-suing-force-church-hold-wedding/#axzz33mM9ZRzB

DANBURY, U.K.–A wealthy gay couple has decided to launch a lawsuit to force their church to perform their wedding. The Drewitt-Barlows, a millionaire couple from the U.K, stated, “We’ve launched a challenge to the government’s decision to allow some religious groups to opt out of marrying same-sex couples.”

© Copyright Original Source

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/denmark/9317447/Gay-Danish-couples-win-right-to-marry-in-church.html

The country's parliament voted through the new law on same-sex marriage by a large majority, making it mandatory for all churches to conduct gay marriages.
                          Denmark's church minister, Manu Sareen, called the vote "historic".
                          "I think it's very important to give all members of the church the possibility to get married. Today, it's only heterosexual couples."
                          Under the law, individual priests can refuse to carry out the ceremony, but the local bishop must arrange a replacement for their church.

And in the good ol' US of A, the inroads are being laid:

Source: http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/judge-rules-christian-facility-cannot-ban-same-sex-civil-union-ceremony-on/

Judge Rules Christian facility cannot ban same-sex civil union ceremony on its own premises

A New Jersey judge ruled against a Christian retreat house that refused to allow a same-sex civil union ceremony to be conducted on its premises, ruling the Constitution allows “some intrusion into religious freedom to balance other important societal goals.”

That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
                            Similar events have already happened in Spain and Denmark
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Precedent ISN'T law - it's an established way to interpret law. Many test cases are brought in hopes of establishing a precedent even if they don't result in a particular outcome (although they usually are one in the same they aren't always). Having no precedent is not a valid argument against a movement to establish one.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment