Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Purpose of Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    You're acting like a drama queen, you know that? There has been no attack on your character by CP in this thread, and you know it.
    A question: if someone portrayed you as debating only for the sake of winning, making such a portrayal in the Civics forum, what would be your response?

I am perfectly aware that it was likely unintentional. However, I still want a retraction or a clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      A question: if someone portrayed you as debating only for the sake of winning, making such a portrayal in the Civics forum, what would be your response?

I am perfectly aware that it was likely unintentional. However, I still want a retraction or a clarification.
      I agree, I personally don't think you debate just for the sake of winning. I think you do it more just to get attention.

[actually not really. but durn it Pap! You make it so easy the way you play the straight man! Get a sense of humor, why don't ya?]

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I agree, I personally don't think you debate just for the sake of winning. I think you do it more just to get attention.

[actually not really. but durn it Pap! You make it so easy the way you play the straight man! Get a sense of humor, why don't ya?]
        I do not claim to fully understand the American style of humour. However, I really do doubt your string of attacks and and the lie in any was constitute humour.

Comment

I would correct them without stirring up a truckload of drama.

Comment

Because the first thing I did was to post, instead of trying to converse with Cow Poke in some other avenue about the matter.

Please do get off your high horse; it just doesn't suit you.

Comment

I do not claim to fully understand the American style of humour. However, I really do doubt your string of attacks and and the lie in any was constitute humour.
              I didn't lie. In fact, in saying that I lied you are doing exactly what you claim others are doing to you, attacking your character and taking your words out of context.

Yet you don't seem to notice that or give a crap.

I said, "Pretty much. No matter what anyone says to you, you seem to go to great lengths to take it in the worse possible light so you can argue with them."

and it does indeed seem that way to me. How am I lying? Do you know how something seems to me? Can you read my mind or something?

Should I now get all bent out of shape because you accused me of lying and demand an apology? LOL.

sheesh.

Just lighten up.

Comment

What nationality are you, by the way? I didn't realize this thread had a history, but just sort of glazed over about the 'pap' quote in the OP.
                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I said, "Pretty much. No matter what anyone says to you, you seem to go to great lengths to take it in the worse possible light so you can argue with them."

and it does indeed seem that way to me. How am I lying? Do you know how something seems to me? Can you read my mind or something?

Comment

You keep using the wrong smiley. You should be using:

Chrawnus was right, DQ.

Comment

You keep using the wrong smiley. You should be using:

Chrawnus was right, DQ.
                      Do you have anything better to do than to continue lobbing attacks? Could it be that it's you who has the chip on the shoulder?

Grow up. How you became an owner I can't imagine.

Comment

Do you have anything better to do than to continue lobbing attacks? Could it be that it's you who has the chip on the shoulder?

Grow up.
                        Irony meter overload.

Comment

That's actually what I was ASKING for.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Because the first thing I did was to post, instead of trying to converse with Cow Poke in some other avenue about the matter.

Please do get off your high horse; it just doesn't suit you.
                            The issue here is not that you want CP to retract or clarify, or what channel of communication you decided to go through, the issue is that you're being needlessly antagonistic.

Comment

The issue here is not that you want CP to retract or clarify, or what channel of communication you decided to go through, the issue is that you're being needlessly antagonistic.
                              You said earlier that "[you] would correct them without stirring up a truckload of drama". I tried that. It didn't work

Comment

I want to make a correction to my previous reply. If the person who portrayed my as debating only for the sake of winning was someone who I knew was probably doing it with ill/dishonest intentions I would probably have reacted in the way you did. But when it comes to someone like CP, who I have a hard time attributing dishonest intentions too, I would be a lot more cautious with being antagonistic.

Comment