Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Chinese virologist: COVID-19 made in Wuhan lab...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    Or... they're getting money from China?
    If twitter is in China they are probably protecting their brand - like the NBA...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      If twitter is in China they are probably protecting their brand - like the NBA...
      Twitter doesn't have to be in China. It could be elements that are connected to China that are heavily invested in Twitter. It's really not that complicated, nor has to be any sort of wild conspiracy theory. The feds are uncovering all sorts of connections between China money and western sources, from media to scientific academic research.

Comment

The news media are dragging her pretty bad.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          The news media are dragging her pretty bad.
          They were doing the same thing with any suggestion it was created in a lab. That truly is scary.

Comment

They were doing the same thing with any suggestion it was created in a lab. That truly is scary.
            Because if there is evidence that China did this deliberately then it takes the focus off President Trump.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Because if there is evidence that China did this deliberately then it takes the focus off President Trump.
              You'd think they'd have some sort of investigation, a senate hearing or a national panel with experts maybe grilling her to see how legit she is and how legit her story is. But, no. Just censor -- SILENCE HER! Yeah, that's not at all suspicious.

Comment

I think she got asylum in the US. But what if China did create this and purposely let it loose on earth?
                I saw her interview.

She is qualified to say the virus was likely created in a lab - and even to say it was created in a Wuhan lab.

As far as her claim it was released intentionally by the Chinese military, that's a guess - and not a very good one, IMO. For that to be true, the military took the virus from the lab and basically walked it out the door and released it in the parking lot. Really horrible in covering their tracks, especially since they are insisting the virus didn't come from a Chinese lab at all. And why release it in China at all? If the military released it intentionally, I would expect to see it originate in Taiwan, or Hong Kong, or India, or the U.S., or some other rival or enemy.

Nah. I think it escaped from the lab accidentally. There have been too many denials and embarrassment in China about this. This pandemic hasn't been good for them in international relations.

Comment

Sounds plausible...
                  Definitely not particularly surprising if true.

And whether or not it was created there or just a natural thing being studied there, it's been pretty clear that it escaped the lab (or was released), which led to the outbreak.

But of course the 'believe the scientists' crowd will tell us not to believe this scientist. Much like they tell us to believe Fauci but get mad when we don't agree with the version of Fauci they want us to in his many flip-flops.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                    I saw her interview.

She is qualified to say the virus was likely created in a lab - and even to say it was created in a Wuhan lab.

As far as her claim it was released intentionally by the Chinese military, that's a guess - and not a very good one, IMO. For that to be true, the military took the virus from the lab and basically walked it out the door and released it in the parking lot. Really horrible in covering their tracks, especially since they are insisting the virus didn't come from a Chinese lab at all. And why release it in China at all? If the military released it intentionally, I would expect to see it originate in Taiwan, or Hong Kong, or India, or the U.S., or some other rival or enemy.

Nah. I think it escaped from the lab accidentally. There have been too many denials and embarrassment in China about this. This pandemic hasn't been good for them in international relations.
                    To be honest with you, I think it's been worse for Trump and the US. Most folks, at least from what I've seen, strangely seem to be pretty apologetic about China and run to their defense. I've even seen some leftists do it on this very board. Heck, WHO covered up for them entirely, as does the US MSM and social media, creepily enough.

Comment

To destroy our economy? To make Trump look bad - because of the trade war, to get him out of office?
                      If your theory is correct they also smashed their own economy. Is it likely?
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      The things that you're liable
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life
                      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I believe the claim is suspicious and at present not confirmed. Still a maybe

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/health/where-coronavirus-originated-study

Scientists may know where coronavirus originated, study says

The study was published in Nature Microbiology

Months into the coronavirus pandemic, researchers are still investigating the actual event where the crossover of the novel coronavirus from animals to humans occurred. A team of scientists may have discovered the answer to the question many have been asking for months, according to a study published in Nature Microbiology.

The group of scientists from the United States, China, and Europe compared mutation patterns of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, to other viruses, and created an evolutionary history of the related viruses. They discovered the lineage responsible for producing the virus that created the COVID-19 pandemic has been present in bats, according to the study.

“Collectively our analyses point to bats being the primary reservoir for the SARS-CoV-2 lineage. While it is possible that pangolins, or another hitherto undiscovered species, may have acted as an intermediate host facilitating transmission to humans, current evidence is consistent with the virus having evolved in bats resulting in bat sarbecoviruses that can replicate in the upper respiratory tract of both humans and pangolins," the study authors said in the published report.

The novel coronavirus evolved from other bat viruses from 40-70 years ago, the team of researchers said.

'“The lineage giving rise to SARS-CoV-2 has been circulating unnoticed in bats for decades,” the authors wrote.

In a news release provided to Fox News, the researchers said that SARS-CoV-2 is similar genetically (about 96%) to the RaTG13 coronavirus found in a sample of the Rhinolophus affinis horseshoe bat in 2013 in Yunnan province, China, but it diverged from RaTG13 back in 1969.

“The ability to estimate divergence times after disentangling recombination histories, which is something we developed in this collaboration, may lead to insights into the origins of many different viral pathogens,” Principal investigator, Philippe Lemey, with the Department of Evolutionary and Computational Virology, KE Leuven, said in the release.

The novel coronavirus shares a trait with older members of its lineage regarding the receptor-binding domain (RBD) on its spike protein, which allows it to bind with human receptor cells, the authors said.

“Its receptor-binding motif, important for specificity to human ACE2 receptors, appears to be an ancestral trait shared with bat viruses and not one acquired recently via recombination," according to the study.

“This means that other viruses that are capable of infecting humans are circulating in horseshoe bats in China," co-author of the study, David Robertson, who is a professor of computational virology at MRC-University of Glasgow Centre for Virus Research, explained in the release.

The authors of the study said other groups of researchers were incorrect in suggesting that evolutionary changes that occurred in pangolins allowed the novel coronavirus to be transmitted to humans. Robertson said, “SARS-CoV-2’s RBD sequence has so far only been found in a few pangolin viruses.

CORONAVIRUS MAY HELP RESEARCHERS IN FIGHTING CANCER, ACCORDING TO SCIENTIST

“While it is possible that pangolins may have acted as an intermediate host facilitating transmission of SARS-CoV-2 to humans, no evidence exists to suggest that pangolin infection is a requirement for bat viruses to cross into humans," Robertson also stated in the report. “Instead, our research suggests that SARS-CoV-2 likely evolved the ability to replicate in the upper respiratory tract of both humans and pangolins.”

Implementing systems to monitor human diseases in real-time and better sampling of bats are needed to detect new infectious microorganisms and prevent future pandemics, the authors said in the release.

“The key to successful surveillance,” Robertson said, “is knowing which viruses to look for and prioritizing those that can readily infect humans. We should have been better prepared for a second SARS virus.”

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          I believe the claim is suspicious and at present not confirmed. Still a maybe
                          Wow, from you, that's quite an endorsement!
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

To be honest with you, I think it's been worse for Trump and the US. Most folks, at least from what I've seen, strangely seem to be pretty apologetic about China and run to their defense. I've even seen some leftists do it on this very board. Heck, WHO covered up for them entirely, as does the US MSM and social media, creepily enough.
                            Yeah, it's strange - especially when compared to the Left's absolute paranoia regarding Russia.

One, an openly despotic country that persecutes minorities, has almost no freedoms, allows slave/child labor in sweatshops, is fond of and frequently uses its death penalty, and is attempting to squeeze the US economy into a nutshell. The other, a country that has elections (OK, questionable ones), abolished the death penalty, allows most freedoms, has a comparably small economy and doesn't threaten the US or its economy in any real sense.

It's just freeeeeking strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              Yeah, it's strange - especially when compared to the Left's absolute paranoia regarding Russia.

One, an openly despotic country that persecutes minorities, has almost no freedoms, allows slave/child labor in sweatshops, is fond of and frequently uses its death penalty, and is attempting to squeeze the US economy into a nutshell. The other, a country that has elections (OK, questionable ones), abolished the death penalty, allows most freedoms, has a comparably small economy and doesn't threaten the US or its economy in any real sense.

It's just freeeeeking strange.
                              Three words (abbreviated) -- OMB

Trump is blaming China, so the liberals are obligated to defend China. "My enemy's enemy is my friend"
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Three words (abbreviated) -- OMB
                                OMB?

Trump is blaming China, so the liberals are obligated to defend China. "My enemy's enemy is my friend"
                                Yeah, in part. I think the Left is also so far to the Left that they don't see any danger or any wrongdoing from communist China. They have so much love for centralized authoritarian government that they are in awe of China.

Comment