Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Southern Baptist Convention leaders dropping 'Southern' from name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    What an incredibly judgmental attitude.
    With practice, some day he might rise to your level.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      A leopard cannot change it spots nor its history.
      You hateful man...
      Coming from you, this might actually be funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
        "Great Commission Baptists" sounds kinda goofy. Honestly given how well known the acronym is, it would probably be wise to try to find something that starts with S... maybe "Shared Baptist Convention"? Okay, not sure about that one, but trying to keep the same acronym seems like a good idea.
        Yeah, but they didn't ask me.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
          Coming from you, this might actually be funny.
          I'm pretty pleasant to most people I interact with until they give me a reason to not be.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            A leopard cannot change it spots nor its history.
            Like racism and the Democratic Party? I mean if you are going to hold a stance like that, you might as well apply it evenly...

Comment

I don't get the hubub about this name change. They decided that they wanted to shake off past associations, and do a name change. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                I don't get the hubub about this name change. They decided that they wanted to shake off past associations, and do a name change. There's nothing wrong with that at all.
                Of course there is nothing wrong. Just too many people believe that change isn't possible and once you're a racist organization, you'll always be a racist organization no matter what you call yourself. It's probably summed up in the word hatred.
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

And it's nothing new - it began to pick up steam in 2011.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Slippery slope, especially in the context of the current environment?

Today: "We're going to change our historic name lest we offend BLM with the word "southern."
                    Tomorrow: "We're going to stop allowing bibles in our churches because BLM thinks it endorses slavery and anti-gay ideology."

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                      Slippery slope, especially in the context of the current environment?

Today: "We're going to change our historic name lest we offend BLM with the word "southern."
                      Tomorrow: "We're going to stop allowing bibles in our churches because BLM thinks it endorses slavery and anti-gay ideology."
                      The name change was being discussed long before the racist militant Marxists ever dreamed up BLM.

Comment

The name change was being discussed long before the racist militant Marxists ever dreamed up BLM.
                        Sure, but you could imagine why this still might concern some folks with the timing of the final decision.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                          Sure, but you could imagine why this still might concern some folks with the timing of the final decision.
                          Yeah, but should we let that stop us?

The fact is that "Southern Baptist" suggests the Southern part of the United States, when we are, indeed, a Global entity.
                          MANY SBC churches don't even use the SBC designation, except for maybe a small reference on a website or something.
                          We have MANY churches in the Northern US, many of which thought it awkward that they be identified as "Southern"...
                          We have MANY African-American congregations, which most certainly have concerns about the "Southern"...

Our focus needs to be on global missions (for which we were founded) not on controversies over what we are called.

Comment

Yeah, but should we let that stop us?

The fact is that "Southern Baptist" suggests the Southern part of the United States, when we are, indeed, a Global entity.
                            MANY SBC churches don't even use the SBC designation, except for maybe a small reference on a website or something.
                            We have MANY churches in the Northern US, many of which thought it awkward that they be identified as "Southern"...
                            We have MANY African-American congregations, which most certainly have concerns about the "Southern"...

Our focus needs to be on global missions (for which we were founded) not on controversies over what we are called.
                            That's my thought. What is most likely to result in more souls being saved long term? And isn't that more important than "owning the libs"?
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              That's my thought. What is most likely to result in more souls being saved long term? And isn't that more important than "owning the libs"?
                              Owning the libs? Man, you say some of the dumbest stuff sometimes, yet you seem pretty smart.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                That's my thought. What is most likely to result in more souls being saved long term?
                                Just came from a meeting this afternoon with my SBC preacher buddies - and only ONE of them (an old-timer) were in favor of the name change, because it has become "so much baggage".
                                The "old-timer" (and, coming from me, that means he's REALLY old ) thinks were "caving in". I honestly don't see it like that at all.

And isn't that more important than "owning the libs"?
                                Maybe some of the libs will get saved!

Comment